Author Topic: Oil leaks  (Read 426 times)

Offline FN

• Old Hand
  • Username: frednolan
  • Life was'nt meant to be easy !
Oil leaks
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:05 pm »
Hey there, just a quick question.
I've had several goes at stopping oil leaks from the valve/rocker covers. It seems to be an issue only on the left hand driver side.
Because the car only gets run occasionally, oil gathers on the manifolds and it gets smoky. I degrease it periodically, but it seeps out in between trips.
It's not major, hence the lack of effort over the past 6 years or so.
The covers are "Powered by Ford" one's. Is it best to swap the covers for another set, a plain set which I have ?
Thanks,
FN

There is no substitute for Horse Power !

1969 Gulfsteam Aqua 428 CJ Mach 1 Sportsroof
2015 Winter White XR6 Falcon FG X Turbo

Offline jholmes217

• Shadetree Mechanic
Re: Oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:49:49 pm »
How are you putting the gaskets on, and how are you tightening the bolts?  Also, have you double check to make sure the valve covers aren't bent, and also the intake manifold gasket has been trimmed to match the height of the intake manifold and head?

When I install valve covers, i glue the gasket to the valve cover with rtv or gasket cinch, and let it dry.  I use carb cleaner or some other type of solvent to make sure the head/intake manifold surface is good and clean.  I then put the valve cover with gasket on, get all the bolts loosely in, then snug them up.  I then start torquing them a little going around starting at the bottom until all are torqued to the proper torque don't remember what it is at the moment.)  I then check and re-torque them as needed after every heat cycle (about 5 times.)
Jholmes217 (Jeff)
1969 Black Jade Q code Mach 1
4 speed
San Jose plant with 7 May 1969 build date

Offline 70cj428

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »
Next time there off, look carefully at the seam between the manifold and the head, and make sure that there's no misalignment issue there ( try and lay a straight edge across the manifold/head surface and make sure everything is aligned.) Getting an FE manifold and head to mate properly, especially if something's been milled can be a real chore...   Also look to make sure your rocker arms or rocker shafts aren't excessively worn, as that can cause a ton of excess oil to be dumped in the head, and can make small leaks big ....

Just a thought, John

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:01:30 pm »
When I plumbed the dipstick tube into the breather hose with a filter incorporated into the design my oil leaks stops, crankcase pressure can't escape through the oil waterfall to the valve covers where the breather and PCV are located whereas the dipstick tube, tiny as it is works wonderfully to release the pressure. You still might need gaskets but you may decide to try this first.

Offline Jiffy

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »
Now - that's an interesting idea....

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:45:59 pm »
Also check to make sure you don't have some bolts for the covers that are a bit to long and bottom out before proper tightening occurs .I have had it happen a couple times on different cars .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline FN

• Old Hand
  • Username: frednolan
  • Life was'nt meant to be easy !
Oil leaks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:57:10 am »
Thanks fella's, I'll get into all that shortly.
FN
There is no substitute for Horse Power !

1969 Gulfsteam Aqua 428 CJ Mach 1 Sportsroof
2015 Winter White XR6 Falcon FG X Turbo

Offline Bic69scj

• Shadetree Mechanic
  • Username: bic98gt
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518573
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:26 pm »
When I plumbed the dipstick tube into the breather hose with a filter incorporated into the design my oil leaks stops, crankcase pressure can't escape through the oil waterfall to the valve covers where the breather and PCV are located whereas the dipstick tube, tiny as it is works wonderfully to release the pressure. You still might need gaskets but you may decide to try this first.

Like to see a picture of this setup. Interesting.

Dave Bickler

Original owner of a 69 SCJ Mach 1

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
There's a hidden Y connector in the line hidden by the support bar.

It is important to note that excessive crankcase pressure might be advantageous with respect to forcing oil to the top piston ring for adequate WOT lubrication.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:52:41 am by 69cobrajetrugae2 »

Offline RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:06:12 pm »
This is really bad information. The purpose of the oil ring is to make sure there is not any oil near the top rings, as little as possible. If the engine has excessive blowby the rings are shot and it needs to be rebuilt. Claiming a shot engine is an advantage is just silly, and indeed pretty disturbing.

There's a hidden Y connector in the line hidden by the support bar.

It is important to note that excessive crankcase pressure might be advantageous with respect to forcing oil to the top piston ring for adequate WOT lubrication.
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:36 pm »
FWIW;  When I mounted the Fel-Pro VS 13049 C cork gaskets to my C7 valve covers they did not fit correctly.  In a word they were to long.  I had to trim about 1/8" off of each rounded end to get them to seat correctly on the VC, and to allow for the bolt holes to match up.  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline lr68cj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:51:58 pm »
FWIW there was no use of rtv in 68. Also no Teflon coated gaskets and no re-torqueing bolts at the factory.  How did they solve these problems? All parts were of course brand new and as firm and flat as they were going to get. What was used on valve cover gaskets? Silver paint was probably to hide the gasket where it sticks out. Something to think about.......

Offline Bic69scj

• Shadetree Mechanic
  • Username: bic98gt
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518573
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:02 pm »
Getting back to the original subject here is another suggestion to help seal valve covers. These "clamps" are available at some auto parts stores.

Dave Bickler

Original owner of a 69 SCJ Mach 1

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:50 pm »
FWIW there was no use of rtv in 68. Also no Teflon coated gaskets and no re-torqueing bolts at the factory.  How did they solve these problems? All parts were of course brand new and as firm and flat as they were going to get...

As has been pointed out, I think that most stubborn valve cover leaks are due to the mismatch on the valve cover rail where the head meets the intake manifold, which is common and due to machine work that didn't properly take into account what happens in the "vee" when the head or the block deck is surfaced.  Obviously the original factory machining was such that there was no mismatch on the valve cover rail, at least within a very small tolerance.

FWIW, I use Permatex #2 to stick the gasket to the valve cover and let it sit overnight.  I then put a very thin smear of Permatex #2 around the valve cover rail on the head/intake, and a small daub of black silicone on the valve cover rail, just right at the seam between the head/intake, install the valve cover and tighten in sequence from the inner bolts to the outer bolts, just tight enough to hold the cover in place, and then let sit to give the silicone a chance to set up.  When the silicone is set up, torque the bolts to spec in sequence.  It never hurts to re-torque after running a few times.  Unless you have a huge mismatch in the valve cover rail I doubt you'll have a leak.

The "clamps" that Bic69scj posted will definitely help spread the bolt load so that you don't bend your valve covers out of flat, but otherwise they won't really help with sealing, especially at the mismatch. 

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 08:11:47 pm »
The clamps are probably useful on the stamped steel covers.  Minimal benefit on the cast aluminum ones IMO.  Can't hurt though.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ