Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Restoration Tips & Techniques / Re: heater
« Last post by Brian Conway on Today at 11:02:59 pm »
This is the 69 non AC.  Same plug arrangement.    A wiring diagram should tell the tale ?  Brian
« Last post by Chris Teeling on Today at 10:18:31 pm »
FWIW, this is a 1968 standard (non AC) blower resistor.
General Discussion / Re: Dual Points question...
« Last post by geraldt52 on Today at 09:52:27 pm »
...So what would cause the difference in idle, and what do I do about it (if anything)?

I never knew anyone to try that, but as a guess I'm thinking that the advance comes out different running on one set of points vs the other...which could cause a difference in idle speed.
...  I figured the idle was low enough to prevent much (if any) advance from happening, but maybe not?...

The advance that is being affected is the "initial"...which is not affected by rpm or vacuum.
General Discussion / Re: A scratch block
« Last post by sportyworty on Today at 08:40:37 pm »
And the saga continues. Something like the conspiracy theories. Maybe someone will make a movie about A and C scratch blocks and build dates. Yawn...……..

The fact is it's solved and quite simple to follow actually. The timeline is reliable and clearly illustrates the features.

« Last post by Mike_B_SVT on Today at 08:40:30 pm »
Oh yeah...  That makes perfect sense!  Duh.

Thanks John :-)

If I'm not mistaken.....

You'll find the timing will change a few degrees when running with one set of points (The set that normally closes the circuit) than with both sets (or with the set that opens the circuit) That's probably whats changing the idle RPM. The way the dual point works is that the 2 sets of points are positioned on the breaker plate so one set opens (or closes) a little before the other set. The first set closes and energizes the coil then the second set closes (doing essentially nothing). When the first set opens nothing happens because the second set is still closed (normally this is when the spark would occur on a single point distributor) The second set then opens, breaking the circuit, and a spark is produced. Using 2 sets of points allows the coil to "charge" longer (increases the saturation time) resulting in a hotter spark.

Running off just the first set of points will cause the spark to occur sooner, in affect advancing the timing slightly.

Hope this helps, John

PS. If your really worried about it, just take out that old stock dual point and mail it to me, and I'll send you a nice fresh single point distributor that's easier to set up and will save you a ton of money at tune up time …..  ;D ;D ;D ;D   ( just kidding)
« Last post by redscj on Today at 08:40:20 pm »
     Not an electrical guy but I'll throw out a worthless idea. If the blower motors are the same then I would suspect that the resistors are the same. Whether they fit in the same slot(?) Needs to be determined.  Not my parts to let the smoke out of but if you have or can get a spare blower motor at a reasonable cost. Give it a try. If the draw is too much? I suspect that the fuse would protect the blower. Be sure to check it for overheating when you give it a try. Hey, what do I have to lose here?;D
     Is there any kind of data on the old one that might indicate it's rating? Try comparing this rating to the repro ones. Best of luck.
Restoration Tips & Techniques / heater
« Last post by corbins on Today at 08:26:28 pm »
Crazy question, but I'm needing a heater resistor. Problem is only the a/c version is reproduced for some reason. There must be a difference, but since the non-air one is apparently NOT reproduced, I'm wondering if the a/c one is applicable to both ???  Anyone know or want to venture a guess?
69 non-air, 4-spd cj car. Mustang

Thanks
« Last post by 70cj428 on Today at 08:09:36 pm »
If I'm not mistaken.....

You'll find the timing will change a few degrees when running with one set of points (The set that normally closes the circuit) than with both sets (or with the set that opens the circuit) That's probably whats changing the idle RPM. The way the dual point works is that the 2 sets of points are positioned on the breaker plate so one set opens (or closes) a little before the other set. The first set closes and energizes the coil then the second set closes (doing essentially nothing). When the first set opens nothing happens because the second set is still closed (normally this is when the spark would occur on a single point distributor) The second set then opens, breaking the circuit, and a spark is produced. Using 2 sets of points allows the coil to "charge" longer (increases the saturation time) resulting in a hotter spark.

Running off just the first set of points will cause the spark to occur sooner, in affect advancing the timing slightly.

Hope this helps, John

PS. If your really worried about it, just take out that old stock dual point and mail it to me, and I'll send you a nice fresh single point distributor that's easier to set up and will save you a ton of money at tune up time …..  ;D ;D ;D ;D   ( just kidding)
« Last post by Mike_B_SVT on Today at 07:53:18 pm »
...So what would cause the difference in idle, and what do I do about it (if anything)?

I never knew anyone to try that, but as a guess I'm thinking that the advance comes out different running on one set of points vs the other...which could cause a difference in idle speed.

Hmm...  I didn't think about that.  I figured the idle was low enough to prevent much (if any) advance from happening, but maybe not?  I guess it is possible that my little flap of rubber insulator was dragging on the insides of the distributor body, maybe causing a slight difference in advance between the two point sets?
« Last post by geraldt52 on Today at 07:42:09 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10