Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The forum factory production stats page has the numbers. 34 non-Shelby 1968 428 CJ (R) code Convertibles built and I've never seen one advertised publicly
u need to take the KR out of those #s
Ed, Kevin's book doesn't state how many had the CJ over the PI. But I did miss the C6 equipped GT500s. Thanks for noting that.
u need to take the KR out of those #s
General Discussion / Re: Last time you saw a 68 -428 convertible for sale?
« Last post by Badcatt on April 20, 2018, 11:59:40 pm »
It looks like a total of 552 were built with 153 with 4 speed and 249 with C6 being Shelby GT500 convertibles. Making 150 Mustang 428 CJ convertibles(both C6 and 4 speed). I have seen one or two over the last few years. It would be nice to know how many are still around.
Note; numbers are from Kevin Marti's "book Mustang...By the Numbers"
General Discussion / Re: Last time you saw a 68 -428 convertible for sale?
« Last post by rockhouse66 on April 20, 2018, 09:39:08 pm »
I occasionally see a Shelby 'vert.  But you're right.  Other than Scott Fuller's black car, I don't know of any.
General Discussion / Last time you saw a 68 -428 convertible for sale?
« Last post by SCJSTU on April 20, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »
Seems like they are all underground
Shows and Events / Re: 50th Anniversary Show- 2018
« Last post by 6t8-390gt on April 20, 2018, 06:12:45 pm »
Got my attention real quick when I read ' Santa Ana, Ca '.  Norwalk, Ohio is probably not doable for me.  Brian
Where you guys getting it that the show is in Santa Ana?  That where the sponsor that is going to host it is from. The release, if you continue reading the whole thing, says Norwalk,OH ::)

The Press Release Scott posted in reply #26 on page 2 of this thread originated in Santa Ana.  The show is in Ohio.

Danny
General Discussion / Re: 1970 Starter Cable Length?
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on April 20, 2018, 05:18:05 pm »
What is the core thickness Ed?

Concourse cables we purchased from Marti for a 66 looked like 6 gauge as compared to an original 4 gauge.

Chinese stereo 4 gauge cable is copper sprayed aluminum that have the SAE current capacity of 10 gauge cable.  I had a 5 volt drop to my amps in the trunk which was reduced to 1/2 volt using 4 gauge welding cable.

Turns out new offshore starters and stereo amplifiers and other high amperage devices may be 10V according to a friend that is a musician.  I wired an early Bronco with 1 gauge and the seller had installed a new starter.  With the coil grounded the cranking speed started to increase similar in sound to a jet engine spooling up!  I can post a video if anyone is interested, weird!
« Last post by ed meyer on April 20, 2018, 05:02:19 pm »
remember the battery cables were thicker in 70 because of 351c closed chamber head 4 barrel engine hard starting problems & thats what the doof cables are torino & mustang in 70.  The cable i am talking about is same thickness used in 68 -70 428cjs & boss 429s  from factory.
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on April 20, 2018, 03:55:34 pm »
Consult a service manual for exact starting circuit tests and specifications.

Yes amperage is critical especially on a hot start if the ignition timing is a tad bit on the advanced side.

The starting circuit is 2 positives the starter relay and starter and about 16 inches of engine block and the negative from the engine lug to the battery.  The SAE wiring guide indicates that mill spec 4 gauge is sufficient if everything in the circuit is in good condition. 

A healthy starter might draw 225 amps upon activation and the electromotive force will return about 75 amps in a millisecond so the starter will use about 150 amps.  If a pair of brushes burns out the starter will draw 250 amps continuously which exceeds 4 gauge wire amperage capacity.  The circuit will heat up and the starter relay contacts can weld together and fail to release since the piston return spring has lost it's tension as well if this condition has been present for a period of time.

For safety I installed 1 gauge so if my starter or battery loses efficiency at least undersized wiring won't cause more damage.  The starter relay on my Mustang failed to release one day many years ago.  It sounded wonderful.  It took 30 seconds to pull the battery cable and it seemed like an hour.  Fun fun stuff.

It's important to check voltage drops and ground drops and amperage draw in the starting circuit as a maintenance item consult a service manual for details.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10