Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: I am having a really good day
« Last post by 1of1044 on Today at 07:22:50 pm »
Royce...would you please post a couple of photos of the timing pointer also?
I evidently missed the part about how you found the 68.5 Cougar. Was it a barn find, something you've had your eye on for awhile,  estate sale, or just dropped into your lap. Either way,  I'm jealous!
Thanks!
Does anyone have a template and details on the 68 1/2 CJ hood scoop and hole location details? My car may have had the hood replaced and I want to verify. Does anyone have a template they are willing to send a copy of ? I emailed the vendor here that sells the repop hoodscoops but no reply yet. Thanks
« Last post by RoyceP on Today at 05:25:16 pm »

Did you say what the build date of the car was, Royce?
« Last post by geraldt52 on Today at 02:42:35 pm »
Did you say what the build date of the car was, Royce?
General Discussion / Re: Speedo
« Last post by Brian Conway on Today at 01:57:08 pm »
author=rockhouse66
I think you can do away with the speed reducer on a 3.91 car but on a 4.30 car you would need to change the drive gear as well.   

Interesting comment about that 7 tooth black drive gear and why I am looking for the 15 tooth driven gear.  The brown 15 tooth gear can be used with the SCJ adapter.  The calculator says I can use the 18 tooth gear w/black drive gear, but of course I'll need to change Speedo cables.

author=rockhouse66
I do have an original 4-speed speed reducer type speedo cable if you need one.  It is functional but not great cosmetically.

Thanks again Jim but at $25 for the repro I'll just buy one.   Seems like a lot of bother, finding the gear, but somehow I like keeping all the OE parts for this car where I found them.  Brian
« Last post by VASCJ on Today at 12:51:30 pm »
congrats Royce, very special to have the original motor, a very rare find!!! those numbers look consistent with the stampings I saw on mine.
« Last post by Vcode on Today at 12:05:59 pm »
R/B  = replaced by

As Jim mentioned I don't think you need to run the adapter since you are using 3.25's

The drive gear on the trans (4 -speed) is plastic. If that is worn - it could be causing the wear on the driven gear.
General Discussion / Re: Springtime start-up
« Last post by Dave R. on Today at 11:16:51 am »
I’m fortunate to live in the south and can drive mine year round. It gets driven once or twice a week. In the worst part of the winter it only sat for two weeks.

Must be nice. Snow, ice and salt are not conducive to sheet metal longevity.   Dave R.
« Last post by Brian Conway on Today at 11:13:31 am »
Thanks for the interest and help.  The MPC pages C3 brown 15 tooth gears are ID'ed on the site gear calculator.  The MPC units marked R/B are not so what does the R/B signify.  Mighty generous of you, Jim, but my cable performs just fine.  Probably the first time out of the car.  Does match up to the Component description at 70" and by my measurement the 66" unit may be a better fit.  The wear pattern on the gear does seem unusual.  This trans and, I presume, black drive gear are original 9/19/68 units.  Is it possible the drive gear is metal and the cause for that wear pattern ?  Just speculating.  Brian
« Last post by ed meyer on Today at 10:57:16 am »
Also brian the plastic gear is the same gear on the reducer as the regular cables as they all interchange.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10