Author Topic: The new car  (Read 855 times)

Offline rogerpir

• Shadetree Mechanic
The new car
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:06:47 am »
Not a Mustang but a CJ nonetheless. Just picked this one up. Now it's time for the parts search!

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
Re: The new car
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:59:07 am »
Love the formal roof CJ Torinos...in fact they're the only ones I like.

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:26:28 pm »
Sweet looking ride. And with a 4.30 gear. Nice. The dealership that sold your car new is no longer a Ford dealer. They changes the name to Tragesser Ford in the 70's. My dad bought cars from them. They gave up their Ford franchise a few years back when Ford went on a rampage about how the dealers building should look. Their building is old and like other dealers they couldn't or didn't want to afford the upgrade. They now service all brands and I believe sell Polaris products. Shame. Nice, family owned business for many years in a small community. the building is unique as it has a ramp leading to rooftop parking. Good luck.   Dave R.

Offline cobrajet_carl

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:16:39 pm »
Sweet looking ride. And with a 4.30 gear. Nice. The dealership that sold your car new is no longer a Ford dealer. They changes the name to Tragesser Ford in the 70's. My dad bought cars from them. They gave up their Ford franchise a few years back when Ford went on a rampage about how the dealers building should look. Their building is old and like other dealers they couldn't or didn't want to afford the upgrade. They now service all brands and I believe sell Polaris products. Shame. Nice, family owned business for many years in a small community. the building is unique as it has a ramp leading to rooftop parking. Good luck.   Dave R.
And now the building is a unique looking Police Station.

Offline rogerpir

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 02:46:48 pm »
Thanks for the info, Dave. The father of the guy I bought the car from owned Johnny Parson Ford in Cincinnati. He said Ford used to really strong arm his dad. Had to sell at least 3 of the very unpopular LTD's in order to get one of the more popular styles to sell. That sort of thing. He eventually just gave it up.   

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:07:32 pm »
I remember Johnny Parsons Ford. I think it was in Milford, OH. Just east of downtown Cincy. I see Mustang parts for sale on Cincinnati craigslist by a guy named Johnnie Parsons. Some relative I assume.   Dave R.

Offline rogerpir

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
Yes, that is his son and the one I bought the car from

Offline 70 BOSS 302

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 11:07:31 am »
Congrats Roger!!  I like those formal roofs too. There is or was a black jade car here in Mt.Vernon. What's that yellow thing lurking in the background? Mach or BOSS?
1970 Sportsroof - SCJ - W code - 4speed
1970 BOSS 302 - W code Detroit
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6
2014 Shelby GT500

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 12:42:00 pm »
Yes, that is his son and the one I bought the car from

I figured that was the relationship. Beautiful car.  Roger, do you live near Cincinnati?   Dave R.

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 12:56:00 pm »
Coincidentally, the one I had was just like this right down to the Cragars.  Not a 4.30 car though.  Might still have a few parts so let me know after you come up with your list.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline rogerpir

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
Thanks, Jim. Not much original parts left on it so I may be checking in with you. Still has the oil cooler, thank goodness. I live in southern Illinois. Cincinnati is about 5 hours from me. Still, it's the closest I have ever had to travel for a car. Mach 1 was from Oklahoma, and the Cyclones were from Oregon and Texas. The yellow car is the owner's Boss 302. He has over 60 cars-all Fords. Thanks, guys. Don't have much else to do on the other cars so I am happy to have something to keep me occupied. If I am left with nothing to do then I tend to get myself in trouble.

Offline Bigfoot

• Old Hand
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 10:16:28 pm »
Those are nice. Drove a green a bunch of years back. Stick with a bench seat. Real sinister.
Enjoy
Original Paint, Survivor, Raven Black Boss9
Original Paint, Survivor, Lime Gold 68.5  CJ

Offline Vcode

• Fanatic!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 09:37:39 am »
Love the formal roof CJ Torinos...in fact they're the only ones I like.

+1
'69 Mach 1 SCJ

Offline lr68cj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 02:13:33 am »
I also have a 69 cobra, but mine is a fastback. These are very cool cars and I don't see many around. At the ford show at e-town last year their was not 1 69 Fairlane or Torino. Someone told me that if the title said "cobra" and not Fairlane/Torino, they were worth more money. I can't prove it either way. Looks like your car is pretty complete. Looming for engine/trans stuff? Last time I was at Columbus swap meet there was a ton of blocks and heads for sale. You might want to go there this spring. Oh yeah, bring lots of $$$$$. Good luck with your car.

Offline lr68cj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 02:54:58 am »
Just looked at my Marti report. My car was built at Atlanta on 2/20/69. Serial numbers are approximately 10,000 cars apart. They but that many cars in 20 days. That's production!!!