Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Vacuum Advance Restoration?
« Last post by Jiffy on March 22, 2017, 09:38:32 pm »
That pretty much what I thought - anyone got an address to send these too...?  ;)
General Discussion / Re: Need some advice
« Last post by Texassniper on March 22, 2017, 09:35:37 pm »
More pics
General Discussion / Need some advice
« Last post by Texassniper on March 22, 2017, 09:33:56 pm »
Hello everyone.
I am totally new to this forum and figured this would be the place to come. My fiancé and I recently moved into our new home and it just so happened that it came with a workshop in the back. Mind you we are renting. A couple weekends ago, I was cleaning out said workshop for the first time (finally got to it) and came across this engine block. To my suprise I also found a box of parts for it. I am no gear head and have little classic car knowledge. I sent pictures to my father and to his suprise he said it seems to be a 428 SCJ. He mentioned checking the Marty report as well. I spoke with the landlord and he mentioned his former tenant was working on a late 60's mustang (from his recollection) before he was evicted. He mentioned he was so going to scrap this so I asked to keep it and he was okay with it. I am just trying to figure out if it is what I'm told it is and value. Hopefully the pictures will post since they are from my phone.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lost and Found / Re: Found in field
« Last post by PR on March 22, 2017, 09:17:56 pm »
Lots of water in Northern California, they have a huge tractor that can't get to it, I will see if I can get pictures up
General Discussion / Re: Shaker base stud
« Last post by 69 R Code on March 22, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »
Yes pls. I'm in Canada ,  . Ship to P.O. 1872 , Carstairs , Alberta , postal code t0m0n0 . Get shipping quote i'll pay for it .
General Discussion / Re: Shaker base stud
« Last post by 428 CJ hardtops on March 22, 2017, 07:07:58 pm »
Spot welded .I have a bunch of them if you need one .
General Discussion / Shaker base stud
« Last post by 69 R Code on March 22, 2017, 06:31:50 pm »
Question : On the  69 mustang shaker air cleaner base the bolt that the shaker bracket bolts to is it a 5/16 x 1/2 inch weld stud or is it bolted to base ?
General Discussion / Re: Block casting date vs car build date?
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on March 22, 2017, 02:07:00 pm »
To disclose or not to disclose is the question that honest moral people struggle with almost on a daily basis, it happens so frequently we don't realize it.

Dishonest or otherwise morally bankrupt people struggle with disclosure as well, but not for the same reasons.

As long as a person is willing to tell the truth there is no problem with grinding off numbers. 

You are selling the car and it's up on a lift as you video tape the undercarriage.

"The tires are 2 years old and have about 5K miles on them.  I replaced the shocks and tie rods but the drag link has a little play in it, it would have to be replaced at some point. There is a little oil leak out of the rear main seal, but it not's bad, leaves a quarter sized spot in my garage. Here is the date code of the engine block, I ground off the letter D to make the block appear to be date correct and there is a little rust hole in the left torque box, there are no other rust issues that I know about."

The right way to sell a car is to videotape only the bad and the ugly. I've done it three times and one guy wired me the money and arraigned for transport to his home in Texas.

"Why would you do that without seeing the car?  I could be a gypsy scammer and you could be getting ripped off"! I told him on the phone. He laughed and said he thought I was honest.

During my tenure at Sears in outside sales, I achieved the lowest cancellation rate in the country. I brought full disclosure to a new level. 

Before the merger in 2005, Sears had a money back guarantee with no conditions.  If a customer purchased 20K worth of HVAC equipment for his company office and wasn't satisfied, he could ask for his money back from Sears.  We would pay our contractor another 3K to remove and dispose of the equipment.  This rarely happened.  A regional director would address the issues and knock off 10K for the customers trouble.  Instead of losing 23K, Sears lost 3K.  The problem was many customers we're wise to this arraignment.  Selling managers like myself that fell into this trap more than a few times would be fired for lack of sales performance.  None of us made the minimum sales number metric so they could fire any of us for lack of performance at any time, but those of us that kept Sears out of the courtroom and didn't have expensive returns we're "trending upwards".

After my inspection and filling out my customer checklist with the customer, I would inform the customer that Sears could not do the job, thank them for calling us and head for the door.

They would always stop me and ask what's wrong.  "5 other companies gave me estimates and didn't mention anything was wrong" the customer would say.

I would explain my concern and the customer and I would work together to find a solution. For example, the west or southern exposures of a building have a lot of heat gain and if there is a table or couch there, the customer will feel uncomfortable unless it's mitigated.

What if I replace the window and install an awning, would that help?" one customer suggested.  I did the heat gain reduction calculations and it would stop a half a ton.

"That's a great idea, it would help a lot but I would still be required to disclose on the contract partial relief in that area" I said.

"I'm fine with that" he said and we shook hands and I wrote it up.  He trusted me.

My good friend and fellow employee asked my why I don't get cancellations.  I told him I get them all the time but they change their mind. This is how I handled cancellations.

"Mrs Smith, hi, this is Ken from Sears.  I received your cancellation request but there's a problem.  I have a crew ready to remove the equipment in the morning, but the cycle date on the credit card has passed so you won't see the refund credit on your next statement.  I have instructed our credit department to send you a cancellation conformation and refund authorization , you should get it in a couple of days. Okay, what time tomorrow works best for you, we have a crew available at 8.00 and another one at 10.00?"

She would start to tell me the reason why they want to cancel and I reluctantly agreed to try to solve the issue. "Are you sure you don't want to cancel Mrs. Smith"? I'd ask her.  I programmed myself to view a cancellation as a good thing and pushed for it, I "took away" the power that the customer thought they had over Sears so they pushed back.  Some of them called Sears to make sure I didn't schedule a crew for them.

One lady started screaming at me, "NO, NO, don't send out no crew tomorrow morning, just forget it"! and hung up.

Human nature is funny sometimes.

General Discussion / Re: Hooker 6114-1HKR (Cerramic)
« Last post by redscj on March 22, 2017, 01:20:31 pm »
Calling installation a PITA is an understatement! First time I put a set of 6114s on the heap took me week. Of course I wanted every one of the 32 bolts installed. Try starting a bolt with your little and ring finger. Done it a couple more times since in a day or two. If I ever do it again I will pull the engine first.

Bic
     Any holes where the header flange doesn't quite line up with the threaded hole in the head. Take the header bolt over to a pedestal grinder & grind a long taper onto the end couple of threads. The bolt can then start easier because of the taper. As you get the bolt a little farther in & more threads start to engage. The bolt with start to pull straight to be inline with the threaded hole. Since you now have partial engagement of a couple of threads, as the bolt wants to swing inline with the bolt hole it'll push on the header flange & in essence push/twist the header flange into position to match the head. Hard to write an understandable description but it is really simple. If you don't modify the end of the bolt you run the risk of the bolt not starting or the first thread in the cast iron pulling out. 
General Discussion / Re: Hooker 6114-1HKR (Cerramic)
« Last post by bic98gt on March 22, 2017, 12:39:42 pm »
Calling installation a PITA is an understatement! First time I put a set of 6114s on the heap took me week. Of course I wanted every one of the 32 bolts installed. Try starting a bolt with your little and ring finger. Done it a couple more times since in a day or two. If I ever do it again I will pull the engine first.

Bic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10