Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 68 1/2 Crossmember
« Last post by Brian Conway on Today at 10:17:05 am »
I can't help out with the 68 1/2 trans cross member but maybe of some help with the 69.  Picture is of the cross member on my 9/19/68 car equipped with the 4.30 reducer.  Has the enlarged cut out on the right, passenger side, the stampings as mentioned and a date stamp 9 A 2 ?  Not pictured is the 'R ' stamp on the forward edge.  Brian
General Discussion / Re: Goodyear polyglass repro tires
« Last post by RoyceP on Today at 10:15:59 am »
I shopped hard for F70-14 Goodyears last month. The best price I found was from Wal Mart. It included free shipping too. I think it was around $20 per tire cheaper than Summit.
The same guy has a couple sets of 428CJ exhaust manifolds that came from testing too. I am trying to get photos of those.

That is interesting Royce. The hieroglyphics are usually various inspector approvals . The tiny C8OE-N is interesting. Another possibility I have seen on the ends would be FWT ( Ford Water Test) checking for casting porosity. I am still "leaning" toward your heads being machining validation samples because of the head being  a new release part. The two main items developed "after" the 135 engines were the heads and exhaust manifolds. The XE numbered exhaust manifolds I've seen pictures of are distinctly different than actual production release parts.
    Randy
Off-Topic Posts / Re: Control
« Last post by DeadStang on Today at 12:47:01 am »
I wonder when the Mustang video was shot...the fender bolts are painted, so the car must not be "new?"
At one time when a race program was cancelled we learned that some engine cribs were being emptied-- a few people would take as many parts as they could. Quite a temptation. 
Off-Topic Posts / Re: Control
« Last post by Vcode on July 26, 2017, 08:30:45 pm »
The wagon looks like the one that was at Carlisle a few years back.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=15456.0

Off-Topic Posts / Control
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on July 26, 2017, 07:46:38 pm »
This video has been posted before but I noticed at the end the car is in a left turn and as the car loses traction and begins to lose control the driver turns the tires to the right for a second then back to the left and regains control!

Here is a 429 super CJ Wagon.  A 428 would be better, it is a slug off the line and he could use new shocks and springs! 

General Discussion / Re: fuel pump
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on July 26, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
Dave.  It's been my experience that our engines are not particularly sensitive to rich mixtures and the engine will act up on slightly lean mixtures. 

A few years ago a gas station in the mid west sold bad gas that damaged hundreds of cars with regard to the fuel injection system. I would suggest draining the tank and pouring it into 5 gallon buckets and let it settle out and look for debris or water.  Next pour in 5 gallons of fresh fuel and see how she runs.

The petronix is not an upgrade in my opinion.  For starters the distributor requires regular attention with respect to inspecting the cap and rotor and the mechanical advance and the petronix tends to lull the owner into ignoring the distributor.

The factory yellow top coil and condenser out performs the petronix because the factory yellow top secondary windings have 20.000 turns of high quality copper wire which any aftermarket coil does not have in my opinion due to the expense of the copper.  The condenser wrings out latent voltage in the primary circuit of the coil so that when the points break the field a hotter spark is delivered.  The resistor wire provides high resistance at lower RPM and less resistance as the engine RPM increases since the coil secondary field is collapsing so fast the points have no time to burn which creates a hotter spark.  What an engineering masterpiece.  The points will burn at low RPM because the HV capacity at Higher RPM is outstanding.  Ford engineers fixed the points problem at low RPM but left the high HV capacity at higher RPM untouched.

A common symptom for a failing mechanical advance is that the engine won't return to it's normal idle RPM at a stop light until the throttle is blipped a few times. It's hanging up causing the timing to stay advanced at idle.  If a spring breaks then when the light turns green the engine will stumble due to timing scatter. 

It's possible that your fuel pump was/is not the problem.  It might fail a bench test but when it was spun up by the engine it pumped fuel.  A leaky check valve might seal to some extent when the diaphragm is pumping at a fast pace allowing sufficient fuel delivery.  The stumbling issue is/may stand alone.  Look at the petronix switch and it's alignment to the cam for a misalignment as a starting point and refer to petronix on alignment instructions.
  That is interesting Royce. The hieroglyphics are usually various inspector approvals . The tiny C8OE-N is interesting. Another possibility I have seen on the ends would be FWT ( Ford Water Test) checking for casting porosity. I am still "leaning" toward your heads being machining validation samples because of the head being  a new release part. The two main items developed "after" the 135 engines were the heads and exhaust manifolds. The XE numbered exhaust manifolds I've seen pictures of are distinctly different than actual production release parts.
    Randy
General Discussion / Re: fuel pump
« Last post by BuckeyeDemon on July 26, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »
Pump installed and running but not great. Is it the power valve that can be damaged by backfiring thru the carb? When the pump was failing the was some dramatic backfires , carb and exhaust, going on. What are the symptoms of a blown power valve? Seems to idle as before but as soon as you pick up the throttle the motor hesitates and stumbles badly. Thanks.   Dave R.

Blown pv means more jet area to the main well and thus engine will in general run richer (except wot)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10