Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 69 SCJ Driven Gear ?
« Last post by Brian Conway on Today at 02:29:18 pm »
Gerald I like the way you narrow the field.  Will give the 17 tooth driven gear a try.  Some trivia using the 20 tooth gear:  3,300 rpm gets me 60 mph and 4,000 rpm gets me 70 MPH.  Thanks, Brian
« Last post by geraldt52 on Today at 12:04:25 pm »
I own a 1970 BOSS 302 W-Code that was built at the Dearborn Plant on February 26, 1970 and the build sheet for the speedometer code shows WHT/PUR.  I also have the build sheets for 2 other BOSS 302 W-Codes and they also show code WHT/PUR.  My car still has its original Stewart-Warner speedometer reducer.

WHT/PUR is a 17 tooth driven gear, so that would fit with the "7 tooth drive gear, 17 tooth driven gear, .75 reducer" scenario.
« Last post by 1970Shaker on Today at 12:08:57 am »
I own a 1970 BOSS 302 W-Code that was built at the Dearborn Plant on February 26, 1970 and the build sheet for the speedometer code shows WHT/PUR.  I also have the build sheets for 2 other BOSS 302 W-Codes and they also show code WHT/PUR.  My car still has its original Stewart-Warner speedometer reducer.
« Last post by geraldt52 on June 23, 2018, 09:58:59 pm »
Given the parts available at the time, there are only two ways that a 4.30 4 speed car with F70-14s could have been built with an accurate speedometer.  One, with a 6 tooth drive gear, a 20 tooth driven gear, and no reducer.  Two, with a 7 tooth drive gear, a 17 tooth driven gear, and a .75 reducer.  There aren't that many parts involved/available...two different drive gears, 5 different driven gears, and a .75 reducer.  Only the combinations I've shown work out.

I can't explain your build sheet, Brian, except to say that the build sheet suggests that your car was built with a 6 tooth drive gear and no reducer, which of course conflicts with what you have in the car.  So either the build sheet is wrong, or parts have been changed/added over the years.  My guess, for what its worth, is that parts have been changed/added.  If you just want an accurate speedometer, and you actually do have a 7 tooth drive gear, then a 17 tooth driven gear with your reducer should work...it just doesn't agree with the build sheet.

Your tires won't make much difference.  An F70-14 is 26.2" dia, a 215/70-14 is 25.85 dia (-1%) and a 225/70-14 is 26.4" dia (+1%).  The speedometer error due to either tire would be in the area of 1%, and the speedometer itself might not even be that accurate.

edit to add:  I didn't use Scott's calculator on this site, so if that calculator is giving the same answer then I'd have to assume that we've confirmed that that calculator is correct.
General Discussion / Re: Oil cooler, rust under paint runs
« Last post by LightWtJet on June 23, 2018, 09:54:48 pm »
If you scrape some of those bubbles-you will readily see if there is rust underneath them. 
« Last post by LooseNoodle on June 23, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
The oil cooler on the component id section has the same paint runs. Or rust bubbles...?
« Last post by J_Speegle on June 23, 2018, 05:21:59 pm »
I would soak in evaporust or something then clean & repaint just dont remove those factory paint dipped runs that are on the ends.

+1  While we are on that detail your not confusing the drips and paint build up as rust bubbles are you?
Just thought I would clarify. Did you get a Marti report or a copy of the #2 Shipping invoice (Eminger paperwork)?

Two very different things
It has been my experience they can be different, even though both are based on Ford records. I have seen several Marti reports that dont accurately reflect how a car was built.
Lois Eminger only provide factory invoices. Are you confusing this with a Marti report?
Do these reports have different listings of equipment? Can an item be on one report and not the other?   Dave R.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10