Author Topic: A '65 "true" GT does not have a 9" rear end...?  (Read 947 times)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
Re: A '65 "true" GT does not have a 9" rear end...?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:29 am »
65-66 GT 350s borrowed the rear drum brakes from other model fords. Because GT 350s had  bigger drum brakes that hi po 289s. I put a 1957 wagon rear end in my 64 falcon . It was a direct swap. Later full size fords used wider housings , i think 1960.
so  basically a 58 ford wagon has the same drum brake size  as a GT 350.

The GT350 drums are NOT the same as a 58 Ford wagon. The brake drums and backing plates for the GT350 are from a '63 Fairlane wagon/ Econoline van ( with the 9" diff).  '57-59 wagons are 11" drums and the Fairlane drums are 10". Yes the housings interchange ( length and spring pad wise) and it was a common swap from an 8".
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oyeynik racecar hauler

Offline preaction

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
This may help.   http://kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm        Dave R.
This is a very good resource.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »

Andy rebuilt the engine and excepted to break into the 10's but his torque converter rebuilder let him down and it could not handle the launch torque. His class is full weight and his 289 engine is stock but there are modifications allowed to which I have no details. The race track is at 2200 feet elevation.

Andy told me that several of his race pals use WAR cases with good results.  Are there durable WAR cases and if so, how does one identify such a case?

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:51 am »
   WAR or WAB  cases are all grey iron and other than the additional rib on the front do nothing to improve strength.  Cars with automatic transmissions don't  "shock" the drivetrain as hard as a stick does and the weaker cases often survive. At the 11 second level the 28 spline axles are overtaxed and will fail before the case. After 50 years of drag racing Mustangs , I've learned a thing or two.
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oyeynik racecar hauler

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 11:12:59 am »
Thanks Randy.  I spoke to Andy and his best time is low 10's but he races brackets so I assume he is after consistency and cannot be consistent near his best time.

He used to do NHRA but there was no enough runs in a weekend and other issues which took away the some of the fun.

Hanging out with Andy has been wonderful, I've learned what an optimist is and he's taught me more about life than about cars.  Nothing gets him down.  "I enjoy myself and it's silly to let anybody bring me down because there is just so much fun I've yet to experience!" he once said to me.  He laughed as he showed me mangled parts out of his racing transmission that blew up on the track.  "This is 600 bucks ha ha ha " as he held up part of a clutch pack genuinely enjoying himself like a little kid.  He's up at 500am and works to 10.00pm days a week.  His workers show up at all hours and he never says a word.  I asked him why he doesn't tighten up the ship.  "You know Ken, everybody's different and you just have to accept it, not everybody is like me" he once said chuckling.  He holds the family together through the normal ups and downs with a smile, I've seen him firm but you can't tell he's upset because he's always smiling and not once out all the time we spent together he would raise his voice.  One of his big dogs refused to get out of a mustang that he let my kids drive in the field one winter, it was growling and baring his teeth.  He picked up small amounts of snow and gently flicked it at the dogs face for a few minutes.  Finally the dog jumped out sneezing from the snow, it was funny to watch their little game.