Author Topic: New high sale price for a 69 Mach 1  (Read 6119 times)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
Re: New high sale price for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 12:07:12 am »
I have studied the results of Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2015.  My partner was there and I was not.  We looked at the mustangs together, I was on the website and he was looking at the same car while we we're on the phone.

The paint and finish on many of the cars was substandard, typical of a remade auction car.

Unless a buyer has firsthand knowledge of ownership and history of an auction car, one has to have rocks in their head to buy a car from an auction.

It is not possible to do a proper inspection at any auction.  The cars that brought the big money we're original cars.  A 1978 Granada Ghia brought 25K.  A 1973 Chevy truck restored to original brought 35k!

It is interesting that the description of the Chevy truck said that it drives well with no mechanical issues.  Most of the other thousands of cars made no such claim.

Another thing to remember with a no reserve car, the owner or his associate can purchase the car if the price is too low.  The seller will eat the admission and seller and buyer fees, but the shill bidding might also bring the car price up to an acceptable level.

Colors are very important. The CJ cars with that multi colored interior don't seem to do well.  Any exterior color is OK as long as the interior is all black.  The issue of course is that Ford built many of the CJ cars with multi colored interiors and changing it to all black would not be concourse correct.  That is the reason that one would be prudent to restore a CJ with a desirable factory color combo.  At sale time the difference in value will be considerable.  If the jade black CJ that went for 165K had an ugly multi colored interior, it might have fetched 85K.

Buying a car from a classic car dealership is the way to go.  One could properly inspect the car before purchasing.

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 01:47:27 am »
I have studied the results of Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2015.  My partner was there and I was not.  We looked at the mustangs together, I was on the website and he was looking at the same car while we we're on the phone.

The paint and finish on many of the cars was substandard, typical of a remade auction car.

Unless a buyer has firsthand knowledge of ownership and history of an auction car, one has to have rocks in their head to buy a car from an auction.

It is not possible to do a proper inspection at any auction.  The cars that brought the big money we're original cars.  A 1978 Granada Ghia brought 25K.  A 1973 Chevy truck restored to original brought 35k!

It is interesting that the description of the Chevy truck said that it drives well with no mechanical issues.  Most of the other thousands of cars made no such claim.

Another thing to remember with a no reserve car, the owner or his associate can purchase the car if the price is too low.  The seller will eat the admission and seller and buyer fees, but the shill bidding might also bring the car price up to an acceptable level.

Colors are very important. The CJ cars with that multi colored interior don't seem to do well.  Any exterior color is OK as long as the interior is all black.  The issue of course is that Ford built many of the CJ cars with multi colored interiors and changing it to all black would not be concourse correct.  That is the reason that one would be prudent to restore a CJ with a desirable factory color combo.  At sale time the difference in value will be considerable.  If the jade black CJ that went for 165K had an ugly multi colored interior, it might have fetched 85K.

Buying a car from a classic car dealership is the way to go.  One could properly inspect the car before purchasing.
The car was RAVEN black. Big, BIG diff although being a multi t-bred winner was a big factor. I changed my 68 Shelby from dark green to black-big diff in price when I sold(+$$$). I also agree colors are important. Some purists used to argue that you deduct the price of a re-paint back to the original color on Shelbys when you priced them. I argued that knowing real life sales with color changed cars. Finally on one topic Bill Collins chimed in and said just that. Said he would take anyone to BJ and show them buyers who don't give a squat about orig colors and will pay top dollar for a car they want. Diff types of buyers. That is why I always say unless you have that real special car that warrants all original don't be afraid to color change a car- just don't go lime gold with a red interior  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:01:50 am by shelbymann1970 »

1969 Mach1 R-code red 428SCJ 4 speed V-code
1970 Shelby Gt350 v

Offline 70b302cat

• Newcomer
  • Eliminator Registrar
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »
The car is a real deal car....the Marti Report is for the wrong car.  Mistake on the side of Barrett Jackson.  The VIN number does not match the car's VIN so someone put this one on by mistake.

The vin on the Marti taped to the car matches the vin on the B-J listing 9R02R124206.

Dave
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/
0F05R116137 A O U
0F91Q516134 J 6 V

Offline Mike_B_SVT

• Old Hand
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
The car is a real deal car....the Marti Report is for the wrong car.  Mistake on the side of Barrett Jackson.  The VIN number does not match the car's VIN so someone put this one on by mistake.

The vin on the Marti taped to the car matches the vin on the B-J listing 9R02R124206.

Looks like it matches what is on the window sticker pic that Marcus posted as well.  Interesting that the window sticker (original?) shows it as BLACK too.  I imagine the door tag code is for Black as well, or someone would have flagged this LONG ago.

Could it possibly be a mistake in the database entry in the Ford records? 
~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.

Offline bosscougars

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 03:23:27 pm »
The data plate could have been made to match the current color of the car. Nothing new here. I expect it would take Kevin Marti to verify if his report is in error or there was a color change somewhere along the line. Window stickers are also available in reproduction form from other vendors and being a San Jose car, no factory invoice available.

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 05:14:08 pm »
I once heard that sanctioning bodies were thinking of adding Marti reports for judging. Now my friend heard Kevin speak locally here a few years ago at a Galaxie club meeting while he was in Detroit saying that he would look up Marti reports for cars for sale(ebay) and find out they were forged so people are even forging Marti reports. You can HAVE a thoroughbred car that is color changed. As long as all your numbers/codes matched no points deducted. Unless they require a Marti how would the judges know? The owner followed the "rules".  Window stickers can be made up, door tags and stickers also to match whatever color you want. I did it in 1990 when I color changed a 70 Gt500 drag pack car from GB to red. Kevin made up the door sticker for me. Exactly like my original but added T to the 5 in the color box.

1970 Shelby Gt350 v

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
...I dont get it.
How can a car with a colour change win a MCA Thoroughbred gold awards? (dosn't make sense to me).

Not that I care myself, but I don't think the color change, if there is a color change, would prevent the award.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a Marti report is required for judging.  So, if the door tag, repro or not, matches the car, all is good...whether or not it matches the Marti for the car.

NOTE...after finishing typing, I saw shelbymann1970s post.  So, what he said  :)

Offline bosscougars

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 06:37:55 pm »
Just don't do it in Oklahoma.

OK trim tag law

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 10:09:03 pm »
Just don't do it in Oklahoma.

OK trim tag law
Thanks Frank. Very interesting. So it is illegal to install a reproduction trim tag or do they consider counterfeit only if it has altered data from the original? By definition it could be interpreted to mean it is illegal to install an exact trim tag to replace a missing one. I guess to make it legal in OK you better get a signature from a buyer if you sell stating yuo put a repo tag on the car and in no way it is the original one.
DEF of counterfeit: made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud. So if you make one and are upfront about it then it isn't a counterfeit tag but a repro tag?

1970 Shelby Gt350 v

Offline bosscougars

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 10:35:01 pm »
The way the law is written it looks to be legal if the word replacement is on the tag and all information is original. It says---
 unless the trim tag has been permanently
stamped, in the same manner as other information on
the trim tag, with the words “REPLACEMENT TAG” in
letters measuring at least one-eighth (1/8) of an inch
in height,
Frank

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:41 am »
The way the law is written it looks to be legal if the word replacement is on the tag and all information is original. It says---
 unless the trim tag has been permanently
stamped, in the same manner as other information on
the trim tag, with the words “REPLACEMENT TAG” in
letters measuring at least one-eighth (1/8) of an inch
in height,
Frank
I doubt anyone is going to type that on their new tags.  :)

1970 Shelby Gt350 v

Offline 69mustangSCJ

• Fanatic!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 12:35:29 pm »
wELL DID YOU SEE THE "OLD SCHOOL 55 cHEVY GASSER TYPE? Primer gray, caged, radiused rear wheel wells and some ugly sheet metal scoop. Went for 140K WTFFFFFFF??? What did I MISS on this car?
[/quote]

I take it you've never seen the movie "2 Lane Blacktop?"

Offline sunndwn

• Occasional Poster
  • 68 428 Cobra Jet C-Stock Automatic
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 03:55:35 pm »
The 55 Chevy was also used in American Graffiti.
68 428 Cobra Jet C-Stock Automatic
67 390 GT 4-speed Acapulco blue Fastback
66 390 GT 4-speed Fairlane Candy Apple Red
77 Cougar XR-7 460 Black

Offline Mike_B_SVT

• Old Hand
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »
The 55 Chevy was also used in American Graffiti.

You made me read up on it with that comment :-)

This site seems to have a nice write-up on the fate of all three '55's used in the movie: http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

It sounds to me like the BJ car was the #2 car used for interior shots, but the only one remaining / restored to "as filmed" (in 2LBT).  I guess the #1 car is "as filmed" in American Graffiti though.
Very cool automotive movie history lesson.
~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 04:50:47 pm »
Speaking of American Graffiti Ray Everham said on the broadcast he tracked down one of the cars used in the movie and tried to buy it. Owner wouldn't sell. I wonder which car he was talking about. Last I heard many years ago one guy owned both the 55 and Milner's coupe. I don't recall 2 lane blacktop-before my time and that says a lot  :)

1970 Shelby Gt350 v