Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Lower Power steering hoses
« Last post by rockhouse66 on Today at 08:18:52 am »
I am not certain mine are correct, but maybe this will help.  FYI, the screw holding the bracket around the rubber insulator shouldn't have a nut on the back - unless the hole was stripped out like mine was  :-[

« Last post by shelbymann1970 on Today at 05:47:47 am »
Does anyone have a photo of the strap and where it is fitted to lift and support the 2 steel wrapped hoses. Mine seem to be hanging a bit low and don't want to catch them. Have the strap just not sure where it fits?
Cheers
the one that hangs down if you look from the front of the car? If that is the one when you tighten it up make sure it is clocked right so when tight it is up. I'm not sure if this pic helps you are not on the hoses but only one I have at the moment. Gary
Thanks Dennis for the history lesson here. Pretty cool. I went to school with Dave Lyall's lids. I hung around with Darren and graduated with Pam. His son Dave was legendary in losing Garden City cops thru my subdivision with his Mustang II if I recall correctly.  My first WOW factor came when we went into Darren's garage looking for some Chevy valves for some 289 HiPo heads we were have Clyde Dietrick redo. While at that time Dave was already divorced and I think living in Redford. He had a bunch of old race parts in boxes and hanging on the wall in the unfinished garage. I still remember picking up a Boss 429 intake and looking at the ports and thinking WTF? Same with the connecting rods. I won't say about the encounter when I first met Dave Lyall. ;)  But I was introduced to him about 10 years later by Carl Holbrook and never mentioned the first encounter. LOL  Gary
Met with Domenic Garofoli, and his cousin Tony Rainero on Friday. 

Tony's recollection:

Early 1968 (Ltwt program) Al Turner was the project manager, then another person (Arlen Whittington), then Bruce Sizemore, Tony referred him as the #2 man.  Also, Emil Loeffler, who was the manager.

After 1968 Indy, possibly Oct. 68, there was a meeting on the 2nd floor at Ford Science & Research Bldg. where the flow lab and Alan Buckmaster was located, with some of the racers and Bruce Sizemore to discuss how to get more power at the high end out of the CJ engine.  Discussion led to using MR heads on the CJ.  Buckmaster believed the ports were more important than the larger valves, which led to incorporating the MR port design into the CJ cyl head.
Tony agreed with everything that Domenic stated (see my earlier post), except he thought the cyl heads were cast at experimental, not DIF.  However, he wasn't certain about this.  Tony said Buckmaster did the port design and that Domenic did the valve jobs.  Tony said two sets were released before Indy.  He received one set and another local Dearborn racer, thinks it was Dave Lyall, received the other.  Bruce controlled who received a set, and who didn't.  Tony agreed not to install them until Indy.  The cyl head change out was definitely done at the Paul Harvey Ford dealership, about six days before Indy, not in some barn somewhere.  Emil Loeffler was there at PHF during the cyl head change out.  Likewise, about Dom going back to Dearborn to prep a set for Jerry Harvey's car, that ran heavy valves and dished pistons in a lower class.
Tony mentioned if Loeffler didn't know about this, he must of been blind.  Said all the Clinic cars received a set.  I asked about the Fairlane Torinos, said he wasn't sure.  Ken McClellan received a set.  From what he recalled Glidden, Carl Holbrook, Roush, and Barrie Poole did not.
Said that Ford was interested in was winning the NHRA Manufacturers Cup, a points based award that went to the manufacturer, not a specific racer.  Said that NHRA found out about the cyl heads and wanted to know how to identify them.  After the sets were used up, Tony looked into having additional sets made, NHRA told him not to.  Asked Tony about the term "Canadian Head", his recollection was when NHRA wanted to know where these cyl heads came from, they were told they came from Ford's Canadian operations.

Regards,
Dennis

« Last post by ed meyer on Today at 02:37:11 am »
Make sure u cross the 2 tubes correctly before tightening the worm drive clamp the way Bendix did when they assembled the whole  P/S  rack before it was sent to the assembly line
General Discussion / Lower Power steering hoses
« Last post by kiwi428 on December 16, 2017, 08:03:49 pm »
Does anyone have a photo of the strap and where it is fitted to lift and support the 2 steel wrapped hoses. Mine seem to be hanging a bit low and don't want to catch them. Have the strap just not sure where it fits?
Cheers
General Discussion / Re: AC Dryer hose connection question
« Last post by rickmustang on December 16, 2017, 12:50:39 pm »
The Classic Auto Air tech told me to remove the two pistons in the line with the siteglass. See pic. Anyone do this? He said they don't do anything, but I can't imagine a Ford engineer would add a part/function that was not supposed to be there for some reason.
General Discussion / Re: AC Dryer hose connection question
« Last post by geraldt52 on December 16, 2017, 11:40:58 am »
...What is "air conditioning"? Roll down the windows, open the vents and let the CJ roar....

We called that 4-80 air conditioning...4 windows down at 80mph.  Doesn't work well in the city.  I love my a/c...
Shows and Events / Re: Beaver Springs 2018 Fe Reunion
« Last post by ed meyer on December 16, 2017, 10:41:13 am »
Maybe next year that show should be joined with the 50th cj meet since they arnt to far apart
General Discussion / MOVED: Beaver Springs 2018 Fe Reunion
« Last post by sah62 on December 16, 2017, 10:08:46 am »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10