Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Brisk Morning Cruise
« Last post by geraldt52 on November 19, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
... Never will forget 1976 Mercury Capri 2.8 L V6 4 speed...

OT, but I'll never forget my '73 Capri 2.6l V6 either.  It was the biggest POS I have ever owned and, since I once owned a '60 VW Beetle as a "winter car", that is saying a lot.  I swear that you could not drive that Capri around the block without something breaking.  It was such a complete POS that it sickened me on Ford products for the rest of my life, and to this day that is the latest model Ford product I have owned, and probably ever will own.  What really killed me was I bought that Capri in '74, at the height of the first gas crisis, instead of a '71 Mach 1 429 SCJ I was considering...of course thinking that that was the more prudent thing to do.  Now that I think about it, I'm still pissed off about it! 
General Discussion / Re: "Real" and "fake" snorkel differences?
« Last post by Jiffy on November 19, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
Hi Rich
While I'm not Hawkrod, I think I know what he was referring to (but he can correct me if I got it wrong) so here are a couple of photos from the component ID section that I've edited.
One shows a little indent in the mount of the snorkel that the CJ snorkel doesn't have, and the sides of the flange are normally trimmed down and the holes (which are closer together on a CJ snorkel) are re-drilled.
The other photo shows the ridge just outside of the mouth, the definition of which is MUCH crisper on a CJ snorkel than it is on a 390 snorkel. The fold that creates it is much more clearly defined, whereas the 390 one is more smooth and rounded - you really need to hold the two in your hands to see the difference.

« Last post by jet hardtop on November 19, 2017, 06:11:17 pm »
The drive included passing a Pontiac G? with LeMans stripes over red and very pedestrian 67 or 68 Camaro. Nice car if I can say that about a chebby here, other than the put put way it was being driven. I still drive mine with wreckless abandon too often. 1980 my car was in need of rustoration. 1985 is when I started driving with this car roadworthy, then I was 24. Drove more stupid with other cars prior. Never will forget 1976 Mercury Capri 2.8 L V6 4 speed. Used to shift while rolling without using clutch. Have not done that with 428 CJ with toploader behind it. Have any others of us rowed our 4 speeds no clutch just lift and shift? My wife got the speeding warning today State patrol, glad only warning. -DW
General Discussion / Re: "Real" and "fake" snorkel difference
« Last post by priceless on November 19, 2017, 05:47:43 pm »
The distance between the holes is not an indicator because new holes are drilled when it is converted. The way to best tell is the raised step around the base of teh snorkel on a real one. Nothing else looks like it. Once you become familiar with that detail you will never mistake it for anything else as Ford never used it on anything except 69 390 and CJ /PI snorkels. Hawkrod
Hawkrod, I know this is an older post, but can you show a photo or explain in specific detail where this raised step is?
Thanks for any help,
Rich
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on November 19, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »
Good maintenance is important, spinning and checking tires up in the air and checking bolts.  For example, I will guarantee that the leaf spring shackle U bolts are loose if they haven't been checked in a while, driveshaft U bolts are known to stretch and loosen as well.

Again, nice run!
Off-Topic Posts / Re: Sunset Strip Hollywood 1967 Short Film.
« Last post by priceless on November 19, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »
Yea, the driver ran a red light at the beginning and the end of the 2 minute video ::)
« Last post by chris on November 19, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »
Can't be afraid of two lane tree lined roads lol. Been driving this Mach since 78' when it was my DD all year / winter long. It survived many a stupid outing as a teenager and early twenties  :o
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on November 19, 2017, 02:03:19 pm »
Good mix you chose, ratio of 60/40 that is what I've found works best.

The ethanol acts as an oxidizer which might help out. Sunoco smells like toluene which I've heard contains as much a 30%. I smelled toluene and Sunoco 110 side by side and there was nary as difference, smell wise. VP is a good choice.

Our cars will collect dirt in the upper and lower A arms and other frame and body locations which will act like  sponge and hold moisture and block drains, look around with an air nozzle with a long curved tube and blast frame holes and door drains and other spots, I use 3/16 brake line and epoxy the tube to the nozzle.  Wear safety goggles!
« Last post by jet hardtop on November 19, 2017, 01:31:19 pm »
Sunny and 30 degrees, drive done. Tank add 10 gal. VPFuels 110 leaded done. Drive home 15 miles so tank not too full. Last blast zero to 75 plus so nice. Tucked away official now. Sleep well CJ's. -DW
« Last post by jet hardtop on November 19, 2017, 12:05:08 pm »
Thanks. Today is nice enough, run for fuel Sunoco 110 10 or so gallons, top off with 91 octane ethanol free. Oil and filter change too. Minor lowers wipe down and good night CJ. Getting out there now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10