Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: front coil spring compressor
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on Today at 03:27:48 am »
"Hey honey great news, we can go to Hawaii after all!!" the dentist tells his wife after some poor guy in his chair caught a piece of the exploding spring compressor right in his choppers..

A oxy/acetylene torch tip and a welders blanket might be a good method to get them out. 
Lost and Found / Re: Trying to figure out what I have!
« Last post by Mike_B_SVT on Today at 02:20:35 am »
Hey guys! My dad was big into motors and I have more old parts than I can make sense of! But particularly I have a 428 Cobra Jet Motor that came out of a 1970-71 Cougar Eliminator. We finally pulled motor out and I'm having a hard time finding identification. I'll try to attach pictures of what I have found.

Hi Rhondaharlan,
Were you able to find a VIN stamp on the block or the heads at all?
« Last post by rogerpir on September 22, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
Thanks, Jim! I am just tickled pink. I must be weird-most guys get all worked up over Rolex Watches and Cuban cigars but I get excited over tools. Boy, I couldn't be more happy over this compressor. You guys mentioned that I need to oil the threads. Which type of oil would you suggest- I was thinking white lithium grease? It's getting a work out-my new springs I just installed, which were supposed to lower the front 2", only lowered it 1/8"(currently my car looks like it is ready to blast off which is why I am changing the springs). Why am I not surprised that was going to happen? Aftermarket stuff is just junk. I have taken the one spring back out and cut it down an inch but I still have to redo the other. I gotta say that the cable ties would be really scary. Even with this compressor, the mental strain is intense. Just being around that compressed spring and knowing what could happen to me if the compressor failed. The mental strain is much worse than the physical strain, for me at least. I only do one spring per day so I am mentally sharp-I can't make a mistake especially since I have never done coil springs before. Attached a pic of another weird home made compressor I have seen before
Roger

General Discussion / Re: Heat Wrap ?
« Last post by rayms69 on September 22, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
When I first got mine going, it was like a fire was lit under me. That was with no insulation, just steel. I used eastwood brand dynamat over the entire firewall and floors. I opted for dynapad on firewall instead of the reproduction firewall tar, then i used this undercarpet insulation https://www.designengineering.com//category/catalog/boom-mat-acoustical-products/under-carpet-lite. Works great!  Wish my weather was like yours Brian.
General Discussion / Re: Rim Blow horn not working.
« Last post by rayms69 on September 22, 2017, 08:21:46 pm »
That job was a PITA, i purchased a NOS one at first, didnt work. You cant trust all eBay jokers.  the second one was from https://www.therimblowbuddy.com/product-category/rimblow-steering-wheels-parts/ . This one worked perfectly. My experience was the old ones are easily destroyed and a new one is fresher and less apt to be broken by knuckle draggers like me.  They are delicate assemblies.  Mine works great, i have to do everything twice and tend to get it right the second time. Good luck
« Last post by geraldt52 on September 22, 2017, 07:37:39 pm »
If you completely unload the suspension it really requires little compression.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11282.0

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but I've been waiting for you to jump in here, sportyworty...it certainly makes all the discussion about spring compressors moot if it works as well as you say.

Even better might be a combination of sportyworty's method and the tie-wrap method.  Jack the vehicle up to unload the suspension, then lower the vehicle to compress the spring just maybe 3/4", install a few tie-wraps on the spring (it won't take many since there isn't much load), jack the vehicle up to unload the suspension again, and you should be able to just pull the spring right out.  If I ever do it again, I'm going to try that.

As an aside, a couple of things I'd bet on regarding the photos with the tie-wraps: one, I bet the guy who did it uses the tie wraps where he works, and so he already knew just how strong they were...and two, I bet the guy has a whole drawer full of those tie-wraps, which he has appropriated from where he works!  :D
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on September 22, 2017, 05:12:44 pm »
I think that everyone will agree that regardless of the type of spring compressor used it's a struggle as compared to the "yet to be tested" tie wrap method.

A simple test is to place the spring in a hydraulic press which will indicate the force required to compress the spring.  Schedule 40 pipe welded to a 5/8 steel plate which is clamped to the base of the press would contain the spring and a similar round plate would go on top of the spring, a cylinder wall piston type of arraignment.  Vertical slots are cut into the pipe to allow the application of wire ties once the spring is compressed to the desired height.

Test.

If there are 6 slots, using two opposing slots of one tie each and suddenly releasing the pressure would likely break them immediately. Set the broken straps aside and try again until it's certain that the 2 ties will break every time and weaker ones we're not used out of the pile of ties.  Next add two more and test, and then finally all six.  If six hold and four did not then the ties are too small since I would want an redundancy factor of at least 10 to 20 times the minimum breakage threshold.

Going to a larger tie wrap if two hold the spring, then compare the rating of the ties from the first group to the second group and the pounds of pressure to compress the spring and determine or make sense of the tie rating and the job we are asking them to do.  Stretch and temperature would likely be a factor as well, a tie may perform differently in a 20F shop as compared to a 110F shop.

If 2 hold the spring and an 8 slot pipe is used and 3 could fit side by side in each slot, then using 24 ties would likely hold  it.  Once removed  the compressed spring is handled by a pair of pliers, it would be safe and would not fly across the shop even if the ties broke suddenly as long as there was not an object near the spring to cause a reaction to the action.  A wave of a torch would dispatch the ties in the press jig.

I do not endorse or recommend this procedure because as with anything in this world, some knucklehead will screw it up make the Darwin Award list.

As Gerald pointed out, the type and quality of the ties are the key.  Metal ties might be the best option.
« Last post by RoyceP on September 22, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
Well said. These spring compressors have an Acme thread that needs to be lubed before use, every time. Take care of this tool and it lasts a life time.

It needs to also be said that the springs don't have paint on them, at least not the way they came from Ford. The only paint is the markings which are barely scrubbed across the outside of the coils in one spot. The springs are a black oxide and oil finish, same as used on the arms of the Snap On spring compressor. It does not scuff or scratch easily.

I just got finished installing a set of NOS front springs in my 428CJ car about a month ago. I wanted to check ride height before I blew the car apart for restoration.

Been using mine 30+ years and none of those things ever happened. The photo of the ty wraps is dangerously stupid.

++++1

I've been using the Snap On compressor for 20+ years and never had an issue. The big problem I've noticed people having with a lot of spring compressors and pullers is that they don't properly lubricate the screw threads before every use (Read the instructions) Any spring compressor/puller can gall and seize if used dry. Another issue is people penny pinching when buying tools, saving a hundred bucks by buying a harbor freight compressor over a good one may seem like a good idea (especially if your only going to use it once ....) right up until something fails or goes wrong and you either damage the car or yourself. Another area you see this in is in valve spring compressors. If you've ever had a triple spring get loose, you know what I mean, yet people still buy cheap Chinese junk.

As for the zip tie mess, if your cheap enough to try this, I'm sure your using the best zip ties that the Chinese can mold out of old soda bottles, and you kinda deserve to get whacked with the spring. ( kinda the Darwin / survival of the fittest thing .......)

JMHO, John
« Last post by sportyworty on September 22, 2017, 09:30:44 am »
If you completely unload the suspension it really requires little compression.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11282.0

« Last post by 70cj428 on September 22, 2017, 09:16:08 am »
OT but ....

Gerald, I spent almost 2 years modifying USAF F4E's to F4G Wild Weasles.

Great (but extremely complicated) aircraft, I have a seat and front panel in my mancave. glad you still have your sanity after 2 years of working in them. Mcdonnell Douglas actually issued a pamphlet to pilots where you could look up what seam fuel was leaking from and if it was something to worry about......

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10