Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off-Topic Posts / Re: OK, I'm the off-topic king these days... MOAB!
« Last post by DeadStang on October 21, 2017, 09:07:25 pm »
Kim

Wife and I went to Moab about 3 years ago to see Arches and the other nearby parks.  Awesome scenery there.  The place was crawling with crawlers for sure.  I was drooling over the idea of one of those tube frame specialty rigs flying across the desert.  Nice to relive a little of that trip through your story.

Jim,

If I could, I would move to Moab in a heartbeat.  I like Zion and the other national parks in Utah, but Arches is my hands-down favorite for some reason.  I could wake up to red rock every day and be happy.  Here's a couple more pictures of the arches and the Jeeping from our trip...

It's just such a trip to basically aim your car straight at a rock face and then just climb right up!  And when you reach the top, all you see thru the windshield is the blue sky -- nothing else; very disconcerting.  Which is why it's good to follow someone (we followed the red 4-door Jeep from Washington state for most of Hell's Revenge) and I did a fair amount of spotting. 

« Last post by DeadStang on October 21, 2017, 08:21:30 pm »
Like this, kind of?

It shows up at the Portland Swap Meet every year.  My kid uses it as her profile picture on her Google mail account for some strange reason.  ::)
General Discussion / Re: Can anyone ID this dipstick?
« Last post by 69cobrajetrugae2 on October 21, 2017, 08:21:26 pm »
SE was in use between the years 1971 to 1979 and is an obsolete oil classification, I don't know what the M stands for multigrade would be my guess.
« Last post by priceless on October 21, 2017, 07:56:13 pm »
I remember reading on another forum that some Ford dipsticks didn't have the engineering number on it. I don't know, just curious if this is for something, not necessarily BB.
« Last post by RoyceP on October 21, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
Hmm if it was original Ford it would have a part number on it - definitely not 428CJ. Might be some sort of aftermarket replacement dipstick for some other Ford product.
« Last post by ac427 on October 21, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »
Hah yeah those vans were the business for sure. I'm sure they used to mix up the bondo in a concrete mixer.
Some even had waterbeds in them.
Sounds blasting with a bit of Boney M ....daddy cool
We used to see them hanging outside school with a bag of candy!
General Discussion / Can anyone ID this dipstick?
« Last post by priceless on October 21, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »
Only has the add/full marks and the words “use SE engine oil”, with the letter "M".   22” long from handle end to other end.
Thanks for any information,
Rich
« Last post by geraldt52 on October 21, 2017, 12:00:40 pm »
When the muscle car rage came crashing down after 1970, all my friends migrated in 3 different directions...4WDs (Jeeps, Broncos, Scouts back then), conversion vans, or motorcycles.  I went with the motorcycles, but I spent a lot of time with the 4WD guys.  Besides the climbing, they used to drag race them 1/8 mile in the dirt...a hoot for sure.  I never really got the attraction of the conversion vans... 
General Discussion / Re: Engine problems-please help
« Last post by geraldt52 on October 21, 2017, 11:50:00 am »
You guys are recommending that he spend money without figuring out what the problem actually is. Bad idea.

Check to see if there is voltage to power the coil when the car won't start. It costs nothing and will tell you what needs to be done next.

I didn't recommend he buy anything until he checked it.  I suggested that among all the things that were being suggested it is more likely to be the coil, because a bad coil will act exactly as he described...fine cold, breaks down hot.  Also, if he runs a hot wire to the coil as we suggested he will then know that there is power to the coil, no need to check it, and anything funny going on in the ignition switch or wiring will have been eliminated as the problem as well.  If it starts, it's most definitely in the switch/wiring...if it doesn't start then it's even more likely that it's the coil.  You know he may have a spare coil laying around...
General Discussion / Re: Engine problems-please help
« Last post by RoyceP on October 21, 2017, 09:21:37 am »
You guys are recommending that he spend money without figuring out what the problem actually is. Bad idea.

Check to see if there is voltage to power the coil when the car won't start. It costs nothing and will tell you what needs to be done next.

... Every time we fire the engine it starts good when cold...

That is the thing that makes me say "coil".

It is common for coils to be OK cold, and go bad when they warm up. Most of the other things being suggested don't usually work that way.  Temporarily running a hot wire to the coil is a good idea, to eliminate the ignition switch/wiring...doesn't need to be a resistor wire if you're just going to run it a short time.

+1 - I had the same issue with mine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10