Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 68 428CJ GT sway bar
« Last post by 70cj428 on July 18, 2018, 10:56:14 pm »
Makes a lot more sense that the bar hits the dampner, as I was almost certain that the special end links used in 67 were longer, which would move the bar closer to the pan instead of farther away. I must have been thinking 5.0 fox body mustangs... The 5.0 cars use a different sway bar bracket than the other cars (it lowers the bar about 1/2" more) . If you use the 4/6 cylinder mounts on a 5.0 with the big bar it looks like there's a ton of room between the pan and the bar with the car sitting still but after several hundred miles you'll wear a hole in the pan. (ask me how I know....)

Actually I learned 2 things the hard way with that car, the bracket issue was the first. The second was never try to braize or weld an oil pan when it's full of brake clean fumes    :o  :o  :o

John
Shows and Events / Re: Pre-Register for the 50th Cobra Jet Reunion
« Last post by 6t8-390gt on July 18, 2018, 04:42:49 pm »
Just in case you didn't know, the Cobra Jet Re-Union is just part of the NMCA Show!  There is surely something for every car enthusiast.

http://www.nmcadigital.com/2018-event-info/norwalk-ohio-general-info/

Danny
General Discussion / Re: Looking for some fuel system parts
« Last post by Jakespeeds on July 18, 2018, 01:06:56 pm »
I will try to keep them in mind.  But everything is ordered from Mansfield.  He is enjoyable to talk to as well.

Jake
« Last post by my68gt on July 18, 2018, 12:54:18 pm »
I've always had good results with these guys also:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/
« Last post by Jakespeeds on July 18, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »
Yeah that is where I was first and should have stayed there.  I was stupidly trying to build miles on my Amex which they don't take.  So I will take my whacks with the stoopid stick and order from them.

Thank you

Jake
« Last post by Vcode on July 18, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
« Last post by Jakespeeds on July 18, 2018, 11:39:06 am »
Well just an update.  As warned SEMO is not user friendly.  I understand soem are happy with NPD but I can't get past my experience.  So is there anyone else recommended for the line from the fuel pump to the carb, fuel filter that screws into the carb, and the balance tube from the front bowl to the rear bowl?

Jake
« Last post by RoyceP on July 18, 2018, 09:06:48 am »
The 427 GT-E Cougar uses the 15/16" sway bar but did not have the 1/8" spacers. As a result, if the car launches hard the sway bar rubs the harmonic balancer. Any of these cars that you see will have a "bite" out of the sway bar just forward of the harmonic balancer.

When the R - code Cougars and Mustang production vehicles came out Ford wisely added the 1/8" spacers which solved the problem.
« Last post by krman on July 18, 2018, 01:20:21 am »
The spacers were 428cj specific.
« Last post by 70cj428 on July 18, 2018, 12:19:08 am »
Rumor was the spacers were there to allow the car to seat and launch better off the line  by moving the sway bar down.
Just a guess but...…

I think the spacers were to ensure there was enough clearance between the bar and the front of the pan when the suspension was compressed. It seems that there is enough room with the 7/8 and smaller bars, but with a 15/16 bar it can get too close. In 1967, the cars with the big bar (Shelbys and comp. suspension cars) appeared to get different end links to gain additional clearance. In 68 all the cars got the same end links (according to the MPC) so it appears the spacers were added to gain some additional clearance with the front of the pan...

I don't think lowering the sway bay 1/8" would make any measurable difference in how the car would launch, most guys just remove the sway bar all together when setting the car up for drag racing. I know removing the bar on a 70 mach1  (11.70's @118 in the 1/4 had no affect on the 60 ft times at all, it did however take some weight off the front end...)

I'm starting to thing my 68 390 car got the big bar by mistake …..

JMHO, John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10