Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I'd have to double check with my father but it is my understanding that it was. My dad says everything he did to that car worked it was  a one in a million car. They always had a street legal demo car to sell hi po parts locally. The Bopper was a salesman at heart if they couldn't sell it to a customer then it didn't make sense to him. His contention at that time was the "empty suits" in Detroit were far to interested in Indy and Nascar which didn't sell cars like a stop light to stop light car that a guy could buy off the showroom floor. That's why they built the KR8 and kept 2 of the first 10 CJ's, one became the Super Stock race car and the other type street bertha  for selling high performance to local hot  rodders, and again with the street Boss, though that was a 494 can am, not exactly something you could buy off the lot but it was street legal for a time and campaigned nationally with the Beat the Boss program. They were all about selling cars and high performance back then and it was  very attractive to some like Carrol Shelby who followed Tasca's lead with the 428PI in place of the 390 in the GT500 and then right into the 428CJ which just happened to get a KR on the end of GT500 to become the GT500KR after the KR8 had met it's demise against  a telephone pole. There were also plenty of folks in Detroit that  saw him as a  meddler.He ruffled some feathers but what dealer ever had the impact that Tasca's did in Detroit whether it was the KR8 pushing thru the CJ in 68 or running all over the country selling high performance to dealers all over the country with the Beat the Boss program.

I love the Bob Tasca as father of the 428CJ story but the published timelimes do not match the folklore IMHO.  You could buy a 428 powered 1967 Shelby Mustang in the late fall of 1966. So for sure Shelby did not "follow Tasca's lead" with respect to a 428 FE in a Mustang.   Every reference that I have seen on this subject says that Tasca showed the KR-8 to the Ford engineers in the summer of 1967.  But the fact is that the Ford Execs approved the "428 GT" engine development program in late 1966.  This info can be found on this website from the Principle powertrain engineer on the 428GT program Bill Barr.  I would like to think that maybe the quoted dates are wrong and the Tasca team showed the KR-8 to Ford in late 1966? 
General Discussion / Re: 68.5 hood holes
« Last post by lr68cj on Today at 12:55:53 am »
Underneath.
General Discussion / Re: 68.5 hood holes
« Last post by lr68cj on Today at 12:48:31 am »
Done!!!
General Discussion / Re: Tach issues. Working but incorrect RPMs
« Last post by preaction on May 23, 2018, 10:59:59 pm »
A tachometer is a very sensitive electric current measuring tool adding paint to the end of the needle ( think leverage ) can and will effect the calibration.
« Last post by argrafke on May 23, 2018, 09:08:56 pm »
Okay thanks I’ll go back and recheck all those connections on the circuit board .
« Last post by Brian Conway on May 23, 2018, 07:35:47 pm »
Not the expert on any of this.  I did replace my circuit board w/tach a few years ago with no problems so not a complete novice.  I suggest you back track the operations you have already done.  Check all the connections and as suggested the grounds.  From what I hear the speed nuts or connectors need to be centered on the circular copper pads, the large plug shouuld to be firmly seated, and those wires checked for a solid connection at the plug and at the board.  I don't know how this circuit functions, continuity, but double check every pad location including all the mini-lights.  Your car starts so the tack/ignition circuit seems OK.  Brian
« Last post by 1of1044 on May 23, 2018, 05:23:29 pm »
Could it be a grounding problem?
« Last post by argrafke on May 23, 2018, 04:23:49 pm »
I don't think it would.  I can't find anything on the internet that says don't paint your tach needle cause it will screw up the function.  My current thought is I might open up the cluster again, take the lens off, pop the needle off the gauge face, assuming it does pop right off...lol, reinstall the cluster and start the car.  I'll wait until it has reached warm up idle at about 800 RPMs and going by a digital RPM read out on my timing light I'll push the needle back on to match it.  Maybe moving it around while painting it I screwed up the calibration of how it originally sat.  Any feed backs on this idea?
General Discussion / Help choosing a new clutch
« Last post by fdarcio on May 23, 2018, 03:57:08 pm »
Hello, I am trying to figure out which clutch and flywheel to buy for my restoration. It is a 69 Mustang Mach 1 SCJ original engine with a 4 speed Toploader 10x1 3/8 Big spline. I intend to install an original C6OA-6394 B or D bellhousing which I know is for 11 1/2 clutch. But I can't find a 11 1/2 clutch aftermarket option. For now my options were limited to aftermarket brands like RAM, Centerforce and Mcleod.  They are all 11 or 12 inches.

I am not a racer, I will show the car, but I would like the clutch to handle the car power and try not to be too hard on the foot. Actually, the softer the better, there lots of traffic around here.

Option 1: $402  RAM             p/n:88883          Lever style     11.5/12 inches  - will this one fit?
Option 2: $265  Centerforce p/n:MST559033  Diaphragm      11 inches     6 holes fit
Option 3: $443  Centerforce p/n:DF559033    Diaphragm      11 inches     6 holes fit   Dual Friction
Option 4: $489  Mcleod         p/n:75248          Diaphragm      11 inches     

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you
« Last post by Dave R. on May 23, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
Surely the extra weight of the paint on the needle can't effect the tach reading. Could it?   Dave R.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10