Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Carburetor Choke issues
« Last post by Jiffy on Today at 06:38:05 pm »
Turn the screw clock wise a couple of turns, see how that goes. Remove the air cleaner when it's cold, make sure you don't move the throttle.
Watch the cam drop into place when the throttle is cracked - if it does, then turn the screw in a couple of turns....

Try that, adjust as you go. If the cam DOESN'T drop, then you have other issues. The cam should drop in when the flapper closes....
General Discussion / Re: A couple questions
« Last post by Jiffy on Today at 06:16:22 pm »
I know Blackthunder is looking for a hatchet if you have a spare one...
General Discussion / Re: 68.5 air cleaner validation
« Last post by jackmi on Today at 04:52:27 pm »
Any additional comments on the small blue cover?  Curious to why you think it is aftermarket...thanks!
« Last post by rogerpir on Today at 12:43:35 pm »
Got it. Thank you!
       Grant,
           Your curiosity takes us to a sensitive area. The port work was done in the Advanced Engine group. ( Hourly employees) The castings were made at the prototype foundry And charged to a "research" account. The machining was done at an outside source shop that did machine work for Ford. I'm sure their bill was paid. The valve jobs were done as previously described. I will ask Bruce if the heads were bare or "loaded" in a future phone call. I don't see any reason for more finite details. We must respect that it was done in the first place.
     Randy
« Last post by argrafke on Today at 09:12:14 am »
Assuming you have the heat tube connected properly, there are really only two primary adjustments for the choke; the thermostatic spring and the stepped idle cam.  Rotating the thermostatic choke cover changes the tension on the spring - adjust so that the choke is closed when the engine is cold and fully open when the engine is warmed up.  The stepped idle cam controls the fast idle speed so adjust to achieve the cold idle speed when the choke is closed.
There is more to it, but these are the basics.

Thank you.  I'm guessing that screw needs to be adjusted when its cold?  Do you happen to know what direction I turn that screw to bump up the idle prior to starting the engine?  Thanks man!
« Last post by argrafke on Today at 09:03:23 am »
the choke-on idle speed is set by a screw on the choke side of the primary throttle shaft, if you remove the aircleaner you'll see a red or black plastic cam (behind the choke housing the has the black cap) that drops down when you open the throttle the very first time when it's cold and engages the screw to advance the idle speed.

Ok... Yes I believe I saw that screw.  Facing the choke assemble it is to the left and low set back, connected to some linkage and appears to be a hex screw about an inch long.  Would that be it?
« Last post by rockhouse66 on Today at 07:34:35 am »
No, not the hatchet, unless you use the SCJ crank.
General Discussion / Re: Removing thermactor plugs
« Last post by geraldt52 on February 18, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »
...I think it will be quite a chore. I am checking some machine shops to see if they may be able to do it. I am pretty sure I am going to mess things up otherwise.

If you already have an impact gun, or can rent one, there's not much risk in at least giving that a go.  You should be able to buy a single hex key socket, and you might need a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter depending on the gun/socket you get.  Just don't set it for max torque right off and you should be OK.  If you've just been trying with an ordinary allen wrench the screws may well spin right out with an impact gun.

You might be shocked at what a machine shop quotes, because they usually aren't too excited about that kind of work.  Even so, before you start drilling or welding on them you'd probably be wise to resort to a machine shop, because they'll really lighten your wallet if you've already screwed them up...
General Discussion / Re: Red interior
« Last post by Daven on February 18, 2018, 09:17:40 pm »
Thanks Jeff, all of your pictures shows the photo bucket box and it has the message of third party viewing.  It doesn't open up. 

So of the more than 72k MACH I's in 69, how many were from each production plant?  Did the production numbers for all the mustangs start at 100k, example, 9R02R100000 as the first mustang in San Jose? 9F02R100000 for Dearborn, etc?

Jimhib,

That is pretty cool to have one of seven!  I wonder how many are left?

Daven
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10