Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Restoration Tips & Techniques / Re: de rusting parts
« Last post by Vcode on Today at 08:32:13 am »
« Last post by redscj on Today at 08:21:22 am »
     If vinegar works then I'd suggest trying citric acid. It needs to be added to warm/hot water. Not very active at room temperature & doesn't have a strong smell.  Comes as white granular like sugar. Very common, can be bought cheaply thru restaurant supply stores, EBay carries it or as a dishwasher additive named Lemishine. Really great at cleaning water spots off of dishes & flatware. If you have hard water, run a load or two using it instead of soap.
General Discussion / disty wiring
« Last post by markharvey9077@gmail.com on Today at 01:15:52 am »
I found the posts on dist wiring...but I have two wires coming out of the dist...do both go to the coil...red and black....adn to what side of the coil?
« Last post by yyoxxx on November 20, 2018, 11:49:48 pm »
end result
Restoration Tips & Techniques / de rusting parts
« Last post by yyoxxx on November 20, 2018, 11:44:09 pm »
As a test I filled a 5 gallon pail with 4.5 gallons of white vinegar then submerged my rusty oil pan for 2 days at which time we took it out and used a nail brush to clean the treated metal . Once again I placed the pan in the vinegar for 1 more day.

The results are quite dramatic , pristine bare metal remains.

My first thought was to media blast but that would run the risk of sand getting trapped and causing problems later.

This idea seems to work better than my $100 jug of evapo- rust and cost only $10.

My next test will be all my rusty bolts , nuts , washers ect.
Shows and Events / Re: Frostbite Run thanksgiving morning
« Last post by Brian Conway on November 20, 2018, 10:11:17 pm »
Good for you.  I used to go surfing ' Polar Bear Dip ' on New Years Day also a tradition.  Stopped doing that a while back.  Brian
Shows and Events / Frostbite Run thanksgiving morning
« Last post by chris on November 20, 2018, 09:23:04 pm »
Annual frostbite run at the historic Massey House off route 3 on Lawrence road near philly .   Gets about 300 cars of all years and makes! Gonna be chilly in the low 20,s. Got my pan heater and ignition column heating pad wrap on the 70 so it’s a ready to go at 6:30 am. It’s tradition!!
Lost and Found / Re: 1970 428 SCJ Mustang
« Last post by cobrajet_carl on November 20, 2018, 09:43:27 am »
Good luck!
General Discussion / Re: 69 tilt-away steering column colour and installation
« Last post by J_Speegle on November 19, 2018, 07:11:21 pm »
Thanks Jeff
There is a paint code for "Dark Charcoal Metallic" that the restorer can use to arrive at the correct colour - it's paint code PPG/Ditzler #32586.

I stole this from another post you did on another site!!   :D

It can be difficult using 50 year old formulas

If you choose to use some of the current rattle cans or even some out of the can mixes many will strip off all the prior paint, lay down a couple of full coats of semi-gloss black and follow that will a couple of lighter coats of the Charcoal.  Be careful when painting textures surfaces as too much paint means less or no grain left and if you apply a too wet of a coat of the Charcoal - you will get a build up plus it can produce a glossy final look
General Discussion / Re: 69 tilt-away steering column colour and installation
« Last post by Jiffy on November 19, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »
Thanks Jeff
There is a paint code for "Dark Charcoal Metallic" that the restorer can use to arrive at the correct colour - it's paint code PPG/Ditzler #32586.

I stole this from another post you did on another site!!   :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10