Author Topic: hope fully next weekend my son will show me how to do pictures 8n121052  (Read 1864 times)

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Here is a 1970 N plant C6 Transmission. It is a R servo cast tail CJ variety. I suspect it is from a full size Police type. Perhaps the N is a big car FE plant 68-70. I will try to find the block pic here as well..

Norfolk in the search box shows several past sightings and discussions. It's a fullsize P or Q code Galaxie model
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:35:58 pm by sportyworty »
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
     So is the conclusion that trucks & full size cars were both built at Norfolk during that timeline? Or were only full size cars built there?
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
     So is the conclusion that trucks & full size cars were both built at Norfolk during that timeline? Or were only full size cars built there?

Well we know they made full size cars in 69/70. We know it was a truck plant as well in the late 60's. We know they never installed 428's in trucks. If Norfolk did not build F600 bigger trucks with 361/391 (C scratch) then the answer is 1968 Full size Galaxie by deductive reasoning.

Offline jackmi

• Occasional Poster
Kerry, the motor was with my 7/15/68 CJ fastback when I bought in 2009.  Obviously not the born-with motor.  It had 390 GT heads and manifolds.  The CJ intake, distributor, water pump, brackets are all around May dates and probably from the born-with motor, but can't verify for fact.  I do believe that the pistons, rods, crank, and cam are original to this "N" block.  As I disassemble more, I will check and record the dates. 

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
Well we know they made full size cars in 69/70. We know it was a truck plant as well in the late 60's. We know they never installed 428's in trucks. If Norfolk did not build F600 bigger trucks with 361/391 (C scratch) then the answer is 1968 Full size Galaxie by deductive reasoning.
     Just checking. That was the conclusion I was coming up with. But sometimes there is a detour along the way that I miss taking.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
The only cast iron CJ intake application was R code cars for 1968. The Aluminum PI intake was also installed at the same time on P code 428 Full size, W code GTE and GT500. We know N plant never produced 1968 R code cars therefore intake does not likely belong to block. The Cast Iron CJ intake was used for the 69 and 70 P code 428 Full size when the Q code was designated only to the Mustang/Cougar and midsize CJ cars.
If the heads were 14 bolt they were installed in a Mustang/Cougar or Mid size. Anyway all fun to calculate Jack and if it comes back a P code we can line up some other stuff I have on those engines. It could be that last month of 1968 was already dropping the Aluminum for Cast on P code assemblies.
Odds are Q code and mix match

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:55:12 pm by sportyworty »

Offline jackmi

• Occasional Poster
Yep, received a call back from Scot at Marti and they will be able to get me a report from what I sent them, so now we wait...

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
10 rush for same day email copy but hey not my money sir thanks

Offline jackmi

• Occasional Poster
Talk about fast service!! 

Offline jackmi

• Occasional Poster
If you find it hard to read,

8N60Q167229
N- Norfolk
Q-428 4v
Ford XL 2-door Fastback
actually produced on 7/20/68

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Those 2 door Galaxies have huge doors and nice lines. The XL with the flip up headlights is especially cool.
This block was originally assembled with 8 bolt C8AE-H Heads, Log style exhaust manifolds, S casting 390 Iron Intake, 600 cfm Autolite carburetor.This car also had a starter delay relay and 15x6 Kelsey Wheels. I chased 68 Q and P cars specifically for their 68 CJ shared parts. Used to call on every one for sale in every city on Craigslist for years. Sometimes would coax them to part out for me or pull the engine. I have even just bought the wheels with the promise of putting something else back on lol. I gave a guy 500 bucks for a starter delay and he was so concerned it would no longer run. The blocks are treasure and I moved a lot of them. The N plant is going to be less production than say Z or J just by the scarcity of sightings.

Q code and mix match

Offline Vcode

• Fanatic!
Those 2 door Galaxies have huge doors and nice lines. The XL with the flip up headlights is especially cool.
This block was originally assembled with 8 bolt C8AE-H Heads, Log style exhaust manifolds, S casting 390 Iron Intake, 600 cfm Autolite carburetor.This car also had a starter delay relay and 15x6 Kelsey Wheels. I chased 68 Q and P cars specifically for their 68 CJ shared parts. Used to call on every one for sale in every city on Craigslist for years. Sometimes would coax them to part out for me or pull the engine. I have even just bought the wheels with the promise of putting something else back on lol. I gave a guy 500 bucks for a starter delay and he was so concerned it would no longer run. The blocks are treasure and I moved a lot of them. The N plant is going to be less production than say Z or J just by the scarcity of sightings.

Q code and mix match

Kerry,
 +1 on the 68 hideaway headlights - they do look good! ;)
'69 Mach 1 SCJ