Author Topic: Torino CJ in action  (Read 815 times)

Offline 69mustangSCJ

• Fanatic!
Torino CJ in action
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
http://hyperperformance.smugmug.com/Cars/Drag-Racing/UMTR-at-National-Trail-Raceway/4812104_PX9Mc#286061492_GzUmF-M-LB

I ran in UMTR for a couple years, and ran accross this CJ Torino that caught my eye.  It reminded me of a car I remembered my father talking about in 69 when his best buddy bought a 69 CJ torino notch back brand new, and at the same time my father bought a brand new 69 ram air IV GTO.  They used to hang together for years.
   I approached this fellow, turns out if I remember correctly he bought this car new as well.  We got to talking and found out he was from the same area.  I thought, "what a strange coincidence".  When I mentioned the car my father talked about, this owner knew the car.  It's a long story but in short, from what I remember (and I forget his name now) he has been racing this car since new in some form of NHRA stock class, and now enjoys the car at these UMTR events from what I understand, and his son now does the driving.  If I remember right, he is still running the car pretty close to NHRA legal trim for the class he was in.  The car is a 4 speed obviously, running UMTR.
  Maybe he is a member here?  Anyway, it has a cool history I thought I'd share even if I can't remember some of it  ;D    I hope this link works.

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Torino CJ in action
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:32:42 am »
Neat car, always liked the 69 Cobras especially in formal roof form. Used to go to Street Machine Nats. in Springfield, Missouri and spotted a Black formal roof 69 there. Was tastefully modified, mostly engine and drivetrain mods. Got to talking to the guy and I think he did not remember these cars new and others even wondered if it was legit I think. I told him I had a extra 69 Performance Digest that showed both body styles right in the Ford advertising so he could use at shows. Sent it and he was so happy to get that.... wonder if he is still there?

AMT made a 1/25th scale plastic model Cobra that could be built as a hardtop with vinyl roof texture or convert.! Wouldn't that be cool? 69 Cobra R code convert! Those kits are hard to find in good condition...
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline fordflashback

• Newcomer
    • http://www.dearbornflashback.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »
It's George and Kris Rachford's Torino Cobra, very cool race car. Here it is in 1983, please excuse the <bleep> in the other lane. More pix here.....http://www.dearbornflashback.com/krcobra.asp

Offline 69mustangSCJ

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:32:05 pm »
Rachford!!!   That's it,,,,I knew it was something different like that  ;D

Yes very cool cars.  My fathers buddy, whom I believe Rachford knew of, started racing his as well after about 6 months of street driving.  Ford even replaced the CJ motor under warranty once  ;D  That's a story in itself.  But I believe he was also very competitive with the car.  My dad runs into him from time to time.  The torino is now long gone, but my dad still owns his poncho.  We are all originally from SW Ohio.  Although I'm out in AZ now.