Author Topic: My Maverick Shakedown run  (Read 1196 times)

Offline james baker

• Occasional Poster
  • Factory Ford built Race Car 1970 Maverick Boss 302
My Maverick Shakedown run
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »
Since most of you are Ford guys i thought i would post a short video of one of the first shakedown runs i made with new 557 Motorsport A-Head motor. It incorperates a 1970 SCJ 4 Blt Main block Stroked to 557 inches, 4340 4.5 crank-alum 6.8 rods- Diamond 15 to 1 pistons, with the Ford alum A-heads. 1050 Dominator-headers made by me. this was at a test and tune here in louisiana.

70 TUBE CHASSIS MAVERICK, Orig. Ford D/MP Div. 3 NHRA Rec. Holder.  557-A Head 8.90's. Dearborn Built, For Bob Corn & Doug Thompson
'70 HEMI CHALLENGER, W/ 426 Hemi, RUNS 9'S
'69 MACH 1 RESTORED Q CODE RAVEN BLACK W/Red Int. A/C, # Correct

Offline b--r30

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
Re: My Maverick Shakedown run
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:09 am »
Sweet! We're throwing together a similar combo with FR SCJ heads in an 80 Fairmont.Glad to see you are running a C6.Everybody tried to talk us into a glide or a C4 but we went with the C6 for cost, dependability,and simplicity.If I may ask,what mods are done to the tranny? We went with a Merkl brake,fully rollerized and prepped according to Frank Merkl's recommendations.We havn't decided on a converter yet.What are you running?We were hoping to touch the 9's with a projected 850 hp,DOT tires,at or under 7k rpm.Car should weigh 3200,3300 lbs.AED suggested at least a 1150 Dommy.Interesting that you're that quick with a 1050 on that monster.

Offline jetset

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »
Sweet ! :)
968 1/2 Mustang CJ Fastback
4-speed   3:50    Yellow

Offline james baker

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:57 pm »
going to a tunnelram after this season, the C-6 is special built rollerized by A-1 outof used to be Calif now in Washington state, the converter is A1 also
70 TUBE CHASSIS MAVERICK, Orig. Ford D/MP Div. 3 NHRA Rec. Holder.  557-A Head 8.90's. Dearborn Built, For Bob Corn & Doug Thompson

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:13 am »
My buddy's 87 IROC is almost done so his 70 Spoiler is next. Cam lobe went flat in the numbers matching 429. Think we are going to shelve it and go with a 557 also.. single 4 bbl. I told him my 850 might not be big enough for a good street/strip engine. Car is a full weight street car, 4 speed and PS,PB stock hood and shock towers. He really wants Kaase Boss heads..
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline b--r30

• Old Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:06 am »
My buddy's 87 IROC is almost done so his 70 Spoiler is next. Cam lobe went flat in the numbers matching 429. Think we are going to shelve it and go with a 557 also.. single 4 bbl. I told him my 850 might not be big enough for a good street/strip engine. Car is a full weight street car, 4 speed and PS,PB stock hood and shock towers. He really wants Kaase Boss heads..
Wow! A Spoiler is one of the coolest cars ever IMO.Had a 70 with a 514,original motor in storage like you guys plan to do.Gave it away before the prices went up.A couple of things that might interest you.....A Torker 2 intake is the only thing resembling a perf manifold that will fit under the hood with the orig air cleaner and scoop setup.Boss heads are nice but you will need custom headers.No headers to fit any of the later aluminum heads either.A nice set of early Motorsports CJ heads flow decent with a little work and Hooker makes (made?)headers that will fit right up.Any decent cam probably won't have enough vacuum for the brakes,or the headlight doors in my case.Went with a SSBC vacuum pump,worked good but was louder than the motor!The nice thing about a Spoiler...it's always the only one anywhere you go.On the 557 kit,money spent on the forged crank option is well spent IMO.Everything is Chinese these days and have heard of some breakage on the cast cranks.

Offline james baker

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:22:57 pm »
the cast cranks are good to 600hp but i really wouldn't feel good with anything over that. Eagle has a good forged unit and the price is not breaking the bank. my opinion would be go with a 4.3 forged eagle and go 80 over on the block, the 4.3 is not as hard on the block as 4.5 and you will get more wear and tear out of your motor, the few cubic inches you loose will not make a big differance.

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:58 pm »
Not meaning to steal your thread James.. I do like your Maverick!

Thanks for the info guys.. I am the one to blame for corrupting my GM buddy by taking him to Tulsa for the past several years!

He is pretty set on the Boss heads and tonight he and I and our chief engine builder were talking build strategy. He does realize that there are easier and cheaper was to get the HP. And I made him add up some Kaase prices so he knows what he will be spending. I am the devils advocate for sure!

Our engine guy I have known since high school and is very capable of doing everything we need. We do need to find a Boss head or drawings that we could make a wood mockup for trimming back the shock towers as needed. Anyone have any ideas? Even if someone had a junk head we could make headers from it sitting on his 429 block as the 557 came together..

Is not looking like we will make Tulsa this year with it but maybe next!
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed