Author Topic: Replacing inner fender panel  (Read 1233 times)

Offline 1of1044

• Old Hand
Replacing inner fender panel
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:59:14 pm »
 I'm no body man so please forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question but, when you have to replace an inner fender panel on a 68.5 that has the VIN stamped into it with a new panel, do you cut out the VIN (if it can be salvaged) from the old panel and weld it into the new panel or are there correct font stamps available to stamp the new panel?

Thanks
Gary

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Replacing inner fender panel
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:21 pm »
Gary not sure how much needs to be replaced but retaining the original Ford stamping is VERY important. I would photograph the original panel in place prior to surgery for your file. My White 68.5 had race headers at one time that exited the rear panels rendering 4x4 holes when removed. I was able to butt weld pre cut repro panel sections without disturbing any factory weldments or stampings. These panels also have date stamps so try your best to work with what you have. If the entire panel must be replaced welding the original stampings would be best imho.
8F91R577646  Black 4 Speed

Offline 1of1044

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
Sportyworty--Thanks for the reply. The VIN looks to be in good shape and a good candidate to be welded into the replacement panel if it comes down to that. I also have noticed the date codes on all the panels except for the radiator support. Where would the date be stamped....top, front, bottom, etc? It could have been replaced since I haven't found it. The others were very prominent and distinct. BTW, remember me telling you I found some original paperwork from the dealer where my car was sold? I went and picked it up last week. Even got the name of the buyer. It was handwritten on the window sticker. The owner of dealership was very nice gentleman to talk to. Told me that back in the day they had sold new, two 427 Cobras from their dealership to a single customer who was a doctor. He said,"If I remember correctly they sold new between 6 and 7 grand each."

Gary
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:26:46 am by 1of1044 »

Offline sidewinder

• Newcomer
  • Username: sidewindder
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:10:23 am »
For God's sake save the original numbers!  Once gone they will never be right again.  Do your best to hide the seam where you section things but for sure, without the original VIN you will have altered the value of the car forever.
1969 Cougar Eliminator R-code
1969 Cougar XR-7 R-code Kenz and Leslie Special
1970 Cougar 351 Cleveland

Offline Drew Manley

• Registry Supporter
  • Shadetree Mechanic
  • Username: manleystangs
  • Owner of Manley's Auto Body - Rods N Customs
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:18 am »
If you have to section in the numbers make sure to not make your cut to close to the numbers (maybe 1" away)so you can do your welding and grinding without damaging the numbers. Also if don't do this stuff on a regular bases you may also need to put some filler on it to blend it in. You definitely want to butt weld it. To get good penetration in your weld if your mig welding leave about 1/32-1/16 gap around the section your welding and clamp it and take it slow to prevent warpage and to get it flush with the new panel. I like to use a very thin flat blade screw driver to slip into the gag and use it to pry and even out the 2 panels and it also helps to prevent the gap from closing up from the heat. Grind the weld top and bottom and if you need to level it a bit you could lightly hammer and dolly it. Good luck ,Doug
Drew Manley

Manley's Auto Body - Rods N Customs
Schenectady,NY 12308
518-356-1140
manleystangs@msn.com
www.facebook.com/ManleysRodsNCustoms

white 68 1/2 CJ Mustang 4 spd., Presidential Blue
68 1/2 CJ Mustang 4 spd. I've owned both over 20 years.

Online redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:15:48 am »
     I think that with the newer attitudes about Vin fraud that this has become a pretty touchy subject. I suspect that each state has their own level of scrutiny. Perhaps it might be worth your time to gently query your DMV to see what their policy is. It sure would be a shame to have to explain your actions years later down the road if you didn't follow your states DMV's policy.
     Just my opinion. I would save as much of the old panel as possible. That way you'd be doing your welding as far away from the Vin as possible. I'm pretty sure that at least some states have trained their people to look for signs of alterations. Any hint of welding in the area would be a huge warning sign IMHO. Good luck.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline charlie smith

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »
tig  is the way i went, little to no grinding on my 68.5

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »
The date stamp on my car is on the radiator support crossmember. Located on the lower right corner forward face.  Behind the head light wire harness.  My opinion; reuse that vin # fender apron regardless of condition.  Patch/backing and paint, no one will question why ?  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic