Author Topic: Pure stock muscle car drags  (Read 1803 times)

Offline CJ-GT Coupe

• Newcomer
Pure stock muscle car drags
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:34:35 pm »
Steve, did you attend this years event?
Ken A.

1969 Mustang GT Coupe; Acapulco Blue;
R-Code; Bench Seat; 4-Speed

Offline qman

• Newcomer
Re: Pure stock muscle car drag
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:44:07 pm »
This is not Steve, but my son and I attended the Pure stock drags last Saturday.  As we walked around we came upon Steve's 69 blue coupe.  Our first thought was it's a tribute car set up for the pure stock drags. We were surprised when we checked the vin to see that it was an original 428 car. No one was around so we checked the car out and were taking pictures when Steve showed up. He was a great guy to talk to and  we both learned a lot about SCJ's.   He mentioned that he  hoped to get into the low 13's. Just before we left Steve made a second pass against a stage1 Buick.  At least I think that's what it was. Anyway Steve broke into the high 12's.
We were not familiar with the rules and Steve filled us in on the tire, cam and trans regulations. Everybody that participated seemed to be having a great time. 

Not many Ford products on site but saw a Boss 02 car, a Cougar Eliminator 351 car and at least 2 other Ford cars.  Steve also filled us in on the five Paxton supercharged Larks. It's been a long time since I saw one of those run.

Any way Steve turned out to be a wealth of information as we restore our SCJ.  I'll contact my son I know he took some video clips maybe he can put them on the site.

Offline Slewfoot

• Newcomer
Re: Pure stock muscle car drags
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »
Here is one of his passes.  I think this one was a 13.02.  My apologies for the poor video quality.  Thanks again Steve, it was good talking to you... we learned a lot.

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:40:36 pm »
  That is REALLY good when you look back at the Hot Rod drag test of a 68.5 ( prepared by HMS) 135 car that ran 13.56 on sticky ( not production) Firestone wide ovals in 68.
     GOOD JOB!
       Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01:50 pm »
Sorry I did not see this thread earlier and reply. I had a good time at the races wasn't real happy with the et's run but the air temp was 55 and cloudy .I was not aggressive trying to launch without much track temp. Best pass was a 12.90 with a bad 1.97 60 ft time. I enjoyed meeting some great folks there .I met some members and really had a good time talking with them .I enjoyed visiting with father and son for a real nice talk  .Ran into a guy with a 70 CJ coupe also . I will try and have the 68 1/2 coupe out for next year and hopefully running much faster .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.