Author Topic: Looking for reputable restoration shop  (Read 415 times)

Offline 428CJ69

• Newcomer
  • Re-born to Run
Looking for reputable restoration shop
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »

Hello all,
I'm asking for a friend. He has a Black Jade 1969 428 SCJ with a 4-speed and a drag pack car. He's looking to find a reputable and reasonably priced person/shop with an concours mindset to do some work for him. The car has been "Clear Coated" on the satin/flat black hood to "protect the finish". It ended up glossy and he is losing points at MCA judged events. He is also is losing points since the engine has been painted the incorrect lighter ford blue, so the engine and engine parts need to be painted the darker blue for 1969.  While the engine is out, the engine compartment he may need some touching up and possibly rebuild the 4-speed transmission.
I told him I'd post here and ask if anyone here can make a recommendation for getting these issues fixed.
He's located in Witchita KS and isn't against traveling if needed.
I will be more than happy to share with him any information that anyone would like to share in regards to this matter.
Thanks again for your time and consideration in this matter,
Brian and Shelley

Offline 67428GT500

• Occasional Poster
Re: Looking for reputable restoration shop
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:35 pm »
Reasonable and Concours don't coexist. 
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
"If It's Not Boeing, I'm Not Going!"

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:47:57 pm »
     Haha. If a guy fit that description he wouldn't be doing it for long. So I'm going to rate +1 also.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline qman

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:57 am »
You might want to call Jeff James at Tri City Mustang Restoration. He is located in Michigan just west of Saginaw. I know he is really busy but his work is excellent.  Qman

Offline 428CJ69

• Newcomer
  • Re-born to Run
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:51 am »
qman, thanks for the information, however, as my post states- the friend I posted this for that is looking to get the work done lives in Witchita KS.  The hope in posting this here was someone might know a good body shop/painter that might be under the radar so to speak closer to where he lives.

Offline 6t8-390gt

• Old Hand
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:40:53 am »
To me it sounds like the car is mostly complete and has been shown in MCA shows previously and he is looking to improve his car based on judging feedback.  I would suggest joining the local Mustang club and attending meetings and local shows.  He will build a local network of shops or club members capable of helping him. 

Correctly detailing the motor is not too difficult and articles exist to help in that regard, the toploader rebuild also isn't too difficult.  He can accomplish what needs done with local businesses and club members.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge
68.5 Raven Black 428CJ, 4 spd., 4.30 GT Coupe
68 Raven Black 390, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Fastback
68 Candy Apple Red 302, C-4, 3.25 GT Conv.
68 Presidential Blue 302, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Conv. (Basket Case)

Offline 67428GT500

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:45:08 am »
I think most of us have suffered your pain. I did all my work but paint and machine work.  However, per-hour labor rates have went through the roof while skilled workers have declined.
                                                                                                        -Keith
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
"If It's Not Boeing, I'm Not Going!"

Offline 6t8-390gt

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:51:18 am »
Here is the article Marcus recently put together regarding engine detailing.

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/cobrajet_engine_detail_v1.3.pdf

Here is the local MCA Club

https://www.mustang.org/dto_clubs.php?do=clubinfo&cid=69

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge
68.5 Raven Black 428CJ, 4 spd., 4.30 GT Coupe
68 Raven Black 390, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Fastback
68 Candy Apple Red 302, C-4, 3.25 GT Conv.
68 Presidential Blue 302, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Conv. (Basket Case)

Offline SunnDogg

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
I would recommend he take a look at R&A Motorsports over in Lee Summit, MO which is about 3 hours NE of Wichita. They just finished a complete body and paint restoration of my 69 last Spring and I could not be more pleased with their work, communication and flexibility. Smaller shop that specializes in high-end Mustang restorations and Jeff (owner) is well known in the community. Biggest challenge will likely be availability as their wait list is long, however my project was quite a bit more involved than your friends. Happy to speak to him on the phone if he has any questions about my experience. Noel is the shop manager and also a great guy to work with.
http://r-amotorsports.com/

Offline 428CJ69

• Newcomer
  • Re-born to Run
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:10 am »
sunndogg thanks for the information I have forwarded it to my friend and will let you know if he'd like to get together with you. This is what I was hoping to get, a personal experience from someone closer to where he lives. I will continue to send him any and all information anyone else wants to share. Also, I appreciate all of your comments, including the snarky ones ... lololol lololol