Author Topic: Dipping parts in black paint  (Read 4411 times)

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
Re: Dipping parts in black paint
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 03:16:44 am »
A few points.... yes dipped parts should be glossier than sprayed parts

Not sure if I missed it above but has anyone brought up the water and paint dipping process that many of the restorers are using?

Fill the container with water (length of part plus a few inches, add paint to the water, let it separate then dip the part into the paint in a slow smooth motion

Been discussed on a number of the other forums in the past five years
Yes Jeff it was discussed in this thread. Could it be that dipped parts could be more glossy because Krylon semi-FLAT paint-Krylon doesn't make a semi-gloss that I have ever seen-seems to be the norm for a lot of people. Real easy to use and Perkins has mentioned it numerous times as a paint source. I have used Eastwood's chassis black on many parts on My convert to get diff semi-gloss looks compared to krylon. At one time I believe Perkins or someone went thru numerous parts and listed how some were glossier than others and I took that to heart in painting many black parts. By the way Chassis black is a pain in the A** to get a consistant sheen over a long part like the front bumper to frame extensions. Krylon is much easier to work with. Anyone know of an easy to use spray paint in semi-GLOSS black? Gary
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:00:35 pm by shelbymann1970 »

1969 Mach1 R-code red 428SCJ 4 speed V-cod

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • Username: Jeff_Speegle
    • http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/page2.html
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »
There was a list that was published in the 80's (written by Bruce Weiss the guy everyone is talking about currently in reference to the CJ drag pak conv) that listed relative glossiness of different bolt on parts.  Talked to a couple of people about redoing the list and up dating it a bit with the additional information we have found over the years.

Didn't see the dipping reference earlier... eyes to tired catching up on all the emails and posts after being gone for the auctions ;)

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:02:34 pm »
There was a list that was published in the 80's (written by Bruce Weiss the guy everyone is talking about currently in reference to the CJ drag pak conv) that listed relative glossiness of different bolt on parts.  Talked to a couple of people about redoing the list and up dating it a bit with the additional information we have found over the years.

Didn't see the dipping reference earlier... eyes to tired catching up on all the emails and posts after being gone for the auctions ;)
Its ok, I have been known to look past posts when scrolling and miss answers to my questions.

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:45:27 pm »
By the way Chassis black is a pain in the A** to get a consistant sheen over a long part like the front bumper to frame extensions. Krylon is much easier to work with. Anyone know of an easy to use spray paint in semi-GLOSS black? Gary

Gary - I have been using Dupli Color Engine Enamel, both the "low gloss" black and the "semi-gloss" black.  I think the SG black is DE 1635.  Both produce a very nice finish if you put the last coat on fairly wet.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 08:48:29 am »
By the way Chassis black is a pain in the A** to get a consistant sheen over a long part like the front bumper to frame extensions. Krylon is much easier to work with. Anyone know of an easy to use spray paint in semi-GLOSS black? Gary

Gary - I have been using Dupli Color Engine Enamel, both the "low gloss" black and the "semi-gloss" black.  I think the SG black is DE 1635.  Both produce a very nice finish if you put the last coat on fairly wet.
Thanks Jim. I actually have a can of the duplicolor low gloss lying around that I bought when I wasn't around a Krylon equipped store. I will get me a can of the semi-gloss to try. Gary

Offline rcgt350

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 11:56:56 pm »
When you dip a part is it bare steel or can you put a coat of etch primer on first? Just wandering about how well the paint adheres to bare steel?
Randy

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:52 am »
I've never primed.  But that is just me

Offline shelbymann1970

• Fanatic!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 01:11:59 am »
Well if you do prime-make it the SAME color(black). Years ago I learned the mistakes of using gray or red primers under black parts. Just like if you spray the charcoal metallic black interior paint on the panels like the lower dash. Its so transparent always use a black primer base first. This has been discussed here before. Gary

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:33 pm »
I've found that Ford plated a lot of parts before painting/dipping.  Typically, zinc plating.

Usually find a silvery coating just above the bare metal when stripping in the blasting cabinet.

Offline 428Eliminator

• Newcomer
  • Username: SnakeOnWheels
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:45 pm »
There was a list that was published in the 80's (written by Bruce Weiss the guy everyone is talking about currently in reference to the CJ drag pak conv) that listed relative glossiness of different bolt on parts.  Talked to a couple of people about redoing the list and up dating it a bit with the additional information we have found over the years

Jeff, here it is.... I scanned this in years ago and had put it some file folder I'd never used. Care to add any comments or updates?

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 10:53:30 pm »

Jeff, here it is.... I scanned this in years ago and had put it some file folder I'd never used. Care to add any comments or updates?

Wow does that bring back some old memories.- Yes I would change a number of things.... in fact I think I mentioned redoing that sheet to Charles last year ;)

Of course the sheet is in complete, I differ on a couple of parts and the list is not year specific Bruce did this many years ago.

Offline thefordshow

• Fanatic!
  • fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 09:33:05 am »
I would say this is a very difficult thing to nail down 100%. Original finishes done over 40 years ago would brake down and not look the same nor would having other textures or finishes over then help protect and preserve as solvents applied in finishes over them would compromise the original finish to a degree. The paint back then was not of the best quailty on a good day! Enamels can have a different finish on them just by what temperature it was sprayed at and how fast they were dryed. JMO
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:44:52 pm by thefordshow »