Author Topic: 1968 mustang drag cars  (Read 2186 times)

Offline w0659

• Newcomer
1968 mustang drag cars
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:35:40 pm »
I have a 1968 fastback white was 390 4 speed which is modified for drag racing and appears to have been this way for quite some time I read some information on the "135"  factory race cars and I know from the VIN no that it wasnt one of those but I also read about another 12 cars which were not "135" cars but were also factory race cars so needless to say that got me curious does anyone know where to go to to find out about the modifications which were performed on these other 12 cars such as my car has had the shock towers notched very professional job it was raced for a while with a 427 also the odometer reads 00000 which is very strange unless someone reset it the VIN no for  my car is 8T02S185958 I guess I could carfax it if anyone knows where I can find information thanks GREG

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
Re: 1968 mustang drag cars
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:29:26 am »
What is the data plate info? Date built and DSO?

Ben

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:03:22 am »
   It is my understanding all of the pre 135 cars were from the Dearborn (F) assembly plant, not Metuchen (T).
 Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:21:34 am »
It is my understanding all of the pre 135 cars were from the Dearborn (F) assembly plant, not Metuchen (T).

Of the six that raced at the 1968 Winternationals four were from San Jose and two were from Dearborn.  I'm not sure about any others, but we know that quite a number of people were (and still are) racing 1968 Mustangs.

What you have is most likely a car that was modified after being originally assembled with a 390.  A Marti report (http://www.martiautoworks.com/) might help you determine if there was anything unusual about the order for the car.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:28:28 pm »
Scott,

I am a little confused still, are you saying there were 2 135 cars and 4 San Jose cars...or 2 dearborn non 135 cars and 4 san jose cars? I know it's different every time you read something in a magazine but I still don't completely understand?

What is the story on the Gas Rhonda car? Becasue that car supposedly has a very solid history back to the WinterNationals. Rhonda raced it for a while, sold it to someone in Texas, from there to here in Oklahoma, then sold to the current owners that have restored the car and have it in a museum in Detroit.

I have talked to racers from back in the day and they remember that car as being a "factory built car from Homan Moody Stroppe". If that car and the Joniac car are what they are supposed to be, and the car Hubert crashed is tracked back as I think it is, then that is 3 135 cars there? I know there is a lot of confusion about the S in the VIN of the 135 fender aprons, I have been told mine is a fake because it has two different VIN's. I jsut wonder of that is some of the confusion about these cars?

Ben

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
Chris and I aren't ready to disclose the VINs, but there are two Dearborn-built 135 cars (Joniec and Ronda) and four cars from San Jose for which we have very strong evidence (as in Ford documentation) that describes their preparation for the 1968 Winternationals.  The two cars raced by Hubert aren't 135s.  One of them (the one Hubert rolled) was purchased and raced by Rusty Gillis; he reports that he last saw it in a Florida recycling yard.  I haven't been able to find anything on the whereabouts of the second car.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 01:03:43 am »
I see! I thought Rusty still had that car. That makes more sence. I thought that  made 3 so I didnt' know what was what?

At least those two are the right two. THat was what made me wonder?

Ben

Offline w0659

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:38:31 pm »
What is the data plate info? Date built and DSO?

Ben
the data plate from the door is gone as the doors are fiberglass which I have neaver heard of except for some that shelby sold for the 65 and 66s it does have a stamped sheetmetal plate on the inner fender but I do not know which number if any on it is the build date or the district code thanks GREG

Offline thefordshow

• Fanatic!
  • fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
Greg,   my guess is that your 185958 in your vin would put it in around 2nd to 3rd week in march as a build date?

Offline w0659

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 11:53:23 pm »
I ordered a martini report for my car and it gave me a dealer number which is 13D091 from the new york ordering district it was built on march 21  1968  now I dont have a clue in the world about how to find uot what dealer that is or was but something that intrigues me is that I bought the car from a guy on long island and if I rember right that is where TASCA is can anyone tell me about my dealer number thanks GREG

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:13:47 am »
I ordered a martini report for my car and it gave me a dealer number which is 13D091 from the new york ordering district it was built on march 21  1968  now I dont have a clue in the world about how to find uot what dealer that is or was but something that intrigues me is that I bought the car from a guy on long island and if I rember right that is where TASCA is can anyone tell me about my dealer number thanks GREG
Tasca is in Rhode Island, not New York. Somewhere on your MARTI report it will say the type of order such as stock, retail, etc. What is that or better yet scan or download a pic for more clues for us to see...
-Jeff M.
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline w0659

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »
well so far I only have the standard MARTI report and it does not anywhere that I can see on its single page have any reference to what type of order that it was I only wonder about this car because it has been a race car for a long time there are 2 distinct levels of workmanship on the car the first and earliest is the rollcage and shock towers extremely professional workmanship the second the rear wheel tubs and the ladderbars very much second level now I am pretty sure that the guy that I bought the car from bought it already modified and either hired someone or did the second work himself now my plans for the car are many hot rod modifications which will be hard to undo once they are done now I would really hate to find out after these modifications that I had really screwed up though I know that many out there will already think that I am screwed up in the head for not just putting it back to stock thanks GREG

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:07 pm »
Spring for the middle Marti report, it gives you the dealer and the type of order along with some stats. I think that it is worth the extra info..
I for one don't think you are screwed in the head for not going back stock. It may not be the best for resale in the long run but it all depends on what is on the car now, how it was originally equipped, how you will use it, how long you are going to keep it and other facts which we don't know. Only you have the answer to that.

My 70 R code Sportsroof is a unusual CJ and probably deserves a stock style restoration but is missing many original parts. It was drag raced also but not by any big name racer. I have not found any pics of it but there is enough of the original lettering on the door to recreate it in vinyl. My car has never been tubbed or had subframe connectors welded in, only a roll bar welded in so my modifications will be limited to stuff that could be removed by a future owner and the car returned to stock by someone with deeper pockets than me!

Good luck with yours and you are in the right place for 428 CJ Mustang info. Be sure and read all the info on the registry pages they are a wealth of info.
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:31:58 pm »
Spring for the middle Marti report, it gives you the dealer and the type of order along with some stats. I think that it is worth the extra info.

I think Marti will credit you what you paid for the first report against the cost of the second one (or at least they used to).
Jim

'69 Grande CJ