Author Topic: Gauge Bezel Installation Trick  (Read 1250 times)

Offline shelbyboss302

• Occasional Poster
Gauge Bezel Installation Trick
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »
When changing your bezels, the factory black spacers are often very brittle and very hard and when you try to tighten down on the screws you will damage and crack your new pieces. A little trick I do when I restore these bezels (and god knows how many I did) , is to remove existing spacers and get some brand new 1/4" id. vacuum line at NAPA or where ever and cut pieces about 3/8" long and slide new ones on bezel pins. The new vacuum line is so soft and plyable and when you tighten down they will seat perfectly but don't over torque. Keep an eye on the plastic gauge lens when tightening and when they snug up on the bezel, your done! Your new spacers will also stop some of the plastic creaking noises you hear when out driving around and hitting bumps. Give it a try and good luck! Hope this helps...Pat

PS, one more little tip on assembly when gauges were removed from circuit board, Make SURE you center the gauge and make SURE you use the cardboard insulator strip on back of gauge. Failure will cause gauges not to work and a possible short. If after you assembled everything and gauges are inoperative this is 98% of the problem. Again I hope this info helps...Pat