Author Topic: Steering box detailing  (Read 4663 times)

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
Re: Steering box detailing
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »
How does this mag phosphate compare to metal prep that you get from the bodyshop supply stores?

Not sure, would have to figure out what the other metal prep stuff is made of.  Other folks have gotten similar results by soaking parts instead of using the heated solution method.

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • Username: Jeff_Speegle
    • http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/page2.html
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »
............ How does this mag phosphate compare to metal prep that you get from the bodyshop supply stores?

Are you referring to products like Rust Mort?

This will change the color of bare cast iron (darken it) but the color IMHO is different from what I've gotten with the heated phosphate

Offline 69scj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 08:41:36 pm »
How hot are you heating the phosphate and do you preheat the metal before dipping or not? I cant remember the name of the product Jeff, but I think its just called Metal Prep and its a DuPont product if my memory is correct, which is doubtfull. ;D

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »
The solution is diluted according to the label.  Temperature is 180F.  I leave the parts in for 15 minutes.

Offline anghelrestorations

• Old Hand
    • Anghel Restorations
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:17 am »
Yes, Dupont Metal Prep is something completely different.  Not something I would use to achieve this type of finish.  The heated phosphate is the way to go...
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 10:35:47 pm »
It has been years since I used any but I believe the metal prep bottle reads it leaves a zinc phosphate finish but like was previously mention you will not achieve the look you are looking for. It produces a extremely light finish. A very light gray. Bob
Bob Gaines, Shelby enthusiast,Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge for SAAC ,MCA,Team Shelby

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »
It produces a extremely light finish. A very light gray. Bob

Yes, exactly.  Zinc phosphate is very light when compared to Manganese phosphate.  Also, have found that the type of metal that is being coated makes a difference in the final appearance.

Offline b--r30

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:17 am »
I use a immersable bucket heater I got from the Farm and Home,and a 5 gal bucket with a good lid.I gal of zinc or manganese product makes 5 gal of solution.You can be creative with different containers(plastic) for odd size parts.Keep the temp and immersion time consistant if doing more than 1 part or the color will be different.Mix up the whole 5 gal up to start,just add water as it evaporates.Store with the lid on tight.As far as I know,these solutions last forever as mine are over 20 yrs old and still work great.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 11:04:22 am »
I use a immersable bucket heater I got from the Farm and Home,and a 5 gal bucket with a good lid.I gal of zinc or manganese product makes 5 gal of solution.You can be creative with different containers(plastic) for odd size parts.Keep the temp and immersion time consistant if doing more than 1 part or the color will be different.Mix up the whole 5 gal up to start,just add water as it evaporates.Store with the lid on tight.As far as I know,these solutions last forever as mine are over 20 yrs old and still work great.
How do plastic containers work at those high temperatures?
Bob Gaines, Shelby enthusiast,Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge for SAAC ,MCA,Team Shelby

Offline b--r30

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:18 am »
Bob,I have used waste baskets,tupperware,pvc sewer pipe with a cap on one end,long narrow window flower pots,bottom end of 15,30,and 55 gal drums to name a few.I heat the solution in the original bucket and pour it in the various containers,keep it hot with small stainless aquarium type heaters.Never had any problems.I am reluctant to use metal containers as the solution is corrosive.You might want to keep the temp on the low end of the recommendations.The immersion time might be a little longer but the results will be the same.

Offline blackjade

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 02:27:22 pm »
I tried to get to www.stangersite.com but keep getting redirected to a page that requires a login.

Anybody else getting that?

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 02:32:02 pm »

Offline griff

• Registry Supporter
  • Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:39 pm »
OT but , check out the Hone-O-Drive unit for the 9" rear. @ that link http://www.stangerssite.com/
70 Q grabber blue white int
66 GMC short fleet 572/720

Offline blackjade

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 02:11:33 pm »
That link works great, thanks.

Before I buy the rebuild kit; what special tools are required? Might not be cost beneficial if I have to purchase a $100 frabbit.

Offline caspian65

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 02:32:13 pm »
If you're talking about rebuilding a steering box, the only special tool you need is a torque wrench that reads as low as 4-5 inch lbs.