Author Topic: Cobra Jet Nationals at the Mid America Shelby Meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma 2010  (Read 9093 times)

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
I have talked to Jim Wicks and he has us the go ahead on a Cobra Jet National at the 2010 Mid America Shelby Meet in Tulsa. This is a great show every year and with a little luck and some hard work this could be a great thing for the CObra Jet group. Ford is pushing the name very hard and the 2010's will be out by then too. Everyone involved with the Shelby Meet sounds excited, the question is...

What kinds of things would everyone like to see done...an extra day at the drag strip, a dinner with a couple guest speakers, a special spot at Sunday's car show for Cobra Jet powered cars only? These are some things that I assume everyone will enjoy, list other things that would be interesting.

I will be meeting with Jim early next week, I will be out of town until Sunday, so list ideas, do's, don'ts, dreams, whatever you can think of. It should be a great show, Donald Farr of Mustang Monthly has already said he'll promote it as much as he can.

Jacky has already said he'll bring 007, I am sure we can get the 2008 Winternational winning Cobra Jet here...it was here last year, hopefully Don Fezel can bring the Joniac car and they could be together for the first time ever?

Sounds fun,
Ben Cole

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Cobra Jet Nationals at the Mid America Shelby Meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:10 am »
Sweet!

Count me in! Hope the two Hubert Platt Drag Team cars will be there... maybe Jacky can bring 2 CJ's! I think Bob Perkins is up for it wit his car..

We run the late models around Hallett, I would go one day there and two at the strip instead. Might make for good photo ops!

I think the special CJ parking would be great.. also at the strip. We did the cruise last year in the late models and my Custom and was able to park in front of the restaraunt we had reservations at. That was fun. I will have Black Magic there and my ez-up tent to keep us out of the brutal heat! We may have a motorhome in the group also for heat relief. Without any new job/no vacation complications, I will be there Wed through Sun!

Let me know if I can help in any way

-Jeff Mitchell
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline Sirrevsalot

• Fanatic!
  • SGRANT3470@AOL.COM
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:05 am »
Ben, im in for the fun!  Call me anytime on the new job duties.
1970 Buick GS350 Survivor

Offline 68gtcoupe

• Newcomer
  • Username: terryhhall
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:20:16 pm »
I already looked, and there is a Carrabba's in Tulsa!  Vinny will be there!!

:D

Terry
'68 GT coupe, J-code, C4, 3.25, Meadowlark Yellow, San Jose

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 03:39:51 pm »
Vinny Lions?

Offline 68gtcoupe

• Newcomer
  • Username: terryhhall
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »
Vinny Lyons.  That was a joke Ben (about Carrabba's).  But Danny said something about maybe hooking up with Vinny for the trip if he wants to bring the car out.  How about Pizza John too?!?

Terry

'68 GT coupe, J-code, C4, 3.25, Meadowlark Yellow, San Jose

Offline 68Rcodeman

• Old Hand
  • 135 Lightweight, #045 Russ Davis Ford
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:52 pm »
Count me in. I will call pizza man tonight. I will bring 2 cars just not sure which ones but definitely Cobra Jets.
                                                                                                            David
135 Lightweight, Russ Davis #045, 321 Actual miles,
Original Paint , Sound deadener delete.
1968 1/2 Fastback, Last one produced, San Jose plant
1968 GT500KR Fastback, Highland Green, 28,000 mile
2005 Ford GT, White w/ Blue stripe
2008 FR500CJ,#48

Offline 6t8-390gt

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
Ben,
Thanks for taking the lead on this; I hope will will get a better turn out than at Carlisle (not that Carlisle was bad...just hoping for these thing to grow with time).  Let me know anything you need.

I still like the idea of an evening BBQ where the owners can hang out together and get to know each other.  T-shirts like the one you had with your screen name on it and maybe a polo shirt with logo would be great.  Separate parking for the Cobra Jets would also be nice.

If there is anything you need help with I'm a phone call away.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge
68.5 Raven Black 428CJ, 4 spd., 4.30 GT Coupe
68 Raven Black 390, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Fastback
68 Candy Apple Red 302, C-4, 3.25 GT Conv.
68 Presidential Blue 302, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Conv. (Basket Case)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:17:43 pm »
The Southern Hills Marriott (host hotel) has a huge parking lot that for years has been one of the best after dark centers for bench racing,socializing and car admiring from Wednesday night thru Saturday night. It would be best if someone would plan on stacking out a section for the Cobra Jet group early so all could park together. It seems  SW corner of the lot is always staked out early (by wednesday night) by Texas Cobra guys as a example.  But as I said it is a huge lot and plenty of room for all. Just a heads up. Bob
Bob Gaines, Shelby enthusiast,Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge for SAAC ,MCA,Team Shelby

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:06 pm »
It's official. The Mid America Shelby Meet will host the 2010 Cobra Jet Nationals. There will be more news coming in the next couple months. Some sponsorship issues need to be finalized that will help finish out the details.

Basically, the Mid America Shelby Meet will provide the "playground". THere are so many things scheduled at the event, there is no need for a lot of seperate events. The plan is to have some seperate events for Friday, that will be the day for "Cobra Jet" only activty. Either the extra day at the drag strip, or special guest, lunch, dinner or any combination or all of the above.

As far as seperate parking, seperate car show, and things like that. The show class is 67-68, 69-70 and 71- 73 so there's not a lot of need for seperate cobra jet classes. We are however trying to get some special recognition awards presented by some of the big name people at the show. Gary Patterson, Drew Alcazar, Gary Bennett...these are some big name car people that attend the show.

Here's a link to the show...
http://www.midamericafordteamshelby.com/

Offline robmurphy

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:47:42 pm »
It's official. The Mid America Shelby Meet will host the 2010 Cobra Jet Nationals. There will be more news coming in the next couple months. Some sponsorship issues need to be finalized that will help finish out the details.

This is GREAT news!  Notice on the midamericaford web site that Marriott hotel reservations open up on December 15th, next Tuesday.  I encourage all of you who might attend to book a room asap.  The hotel sells out fast, and there are many attendees who come to this event year after year.  

The Tulsa show is the best IMHO.  Days of open track, drag racing, car shows, Ford announcements, and an outstanding level of concours cars.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:12:42 am by sah62 »

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:40:46 pm »
Ben, we need to organize a CJ group picture like they do for the GT-40 reunions and other cars at the vintage races..

I think that would be super cool... kind of like this but maybe more compact area.

Maybe older cars in front, new cars in back? I could email or call Jerry Heasley... I'm sure he would be up for it!
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:22:35 pm »
We're on the same page, I was thinking about lining them up on the drag strip or ourside the grand stands to do a big picture of all of the cars. THat's part of my Extra Friday at the Drag Strip Plan. That doesn't have confirmation yet though. If not there, a old time store front place that has hundreds of restored noen signs.

Ben

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:16 am »
Ben - is this exclusively for CJ Mustangs or are you including CJ Fairlanes/Torinos?
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline 6t8-390gt

• Old Hand
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 02:09:26 pm »
I hope it includes all Cobra Jet cars!  I tried that with Carlisle; but could not break through to the "other" crowds when I was pushing Carlisle.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge
68.5 Raven Black 428CJ, 4 spd., 4.30 GT Coupe
68 Raven Black 390, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Fastback
68 Candy Apple Red 302, C-4, 3.25 GT Conv.
68 Presidential Blue 302, 4 spd., 3.25 GT Conv. (Basket Case)