Author Topic: 1970 Manual Choke - R&R  (Read 1200 times)

Offline rhjanes

• Old Hand
1970 Manual Choke - R&R
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »
My 1970 Mach 1 has the manual choke.  For the second time since 1994 when I restored the car, the cable was getting stiff from "gunk" in it.  The last time I removed it for R&R, I was still under 50.  This weekend I decided to remove it.  Easy enough, remove the ram-air, loosen the clamp and wire-clamp on the carb, kneel under the dash and remove the nut from the choke cable bracket and pull it all out.  Giving no thought to getting it back through that dash!  To clean it, I pulled the rubber off the outside, then pulled the cable out of the metal flex part.  I then used paper towels and brake cleaner on them, and set them in the hot Texas sun for 5 minutes to dry.  I then used powdered graphite to lubricate it up.  
Then the fun began!  Just say, I'm not under 50 anymore!  I was upside down under the dash trying to stab the cable back through that hole up near the top of the dash.  After 10 minutes, I was:  Ticked off.  Sore back.  Sweat Soaked.  Loosing my religion.  I even tied a string to a small nut, put that through the dash and got a hold of it.  But the string just slipped right off the cable.  
I decided to sleep on it.  Best move!
I then came up with a good way to put it back.  Take it all apart again!  From standing next to the car, just stab the rubber outer part back through the hole in the dash.  I stuck about 75 percent of it into the car.  Then, kneel down and reach up under the dash and find the runner.  Place the nut and washer on it (be careful, nut first, then washer)  Start feeding the metal wire cover into the rubber cover.  I had to stop a few times to work out a kink or two.  Once that was in, I slid the rubber and metal tight and installed under the dash.  I then feed in the wire (the actual cable).  Back up to the carb to attach it all and DONE.  
Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away"  Bryan Adams.

Online John

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
  • ARI Pace Car Conv
Re: 1970 Manual Choke - R&R
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:34:56 pm »
Nice tip. Thanks.

JohnB

Offline rhjanes

• Old Hand
Re: 1970 Manual Choke - R&R
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:30 am »
Realised I'd not been clear on one thing.  I pushed the empty rubber outside thru the hole in the FIREWALL, leaving about 20 percent in the engine compartment, and 80 down under the dash.  Then, kneel by the car and reach under the dash and get ahold of the tube.  Feed in the outter springy metal part, then the inner.

My 1970 Mach 1 has the manual choke.  For the second time since 1994 when I restored the car, the cable was getting stiff from "gunk" in it.  The last time I removed it for R&R, I was still under 50.  This weekend I decided to remove it.  Easy enough, remove the ram-air, loosen the clamp and wire-clamp on the carb, kneel under the dash and remove the nut from the choke cable bracket and pull it all out.  Giving no thought to getting it back through that dash!  To clean it, I pulled the rubber off the outside, then pulled the cable out of the metal flex part.  I then used paper towels and brake cleaner on them, and set them in the hot Texas sun for 5 minutes to dry.  I then used powdered graphite to lubricate it up. 
Then the fun began!  Just say, I'm not under 50 anymore!  I was upside down under the dash trying to stab the cable back through that hole up near the top of the dash.  After 10 minutes, I was:  Ticked off.  Sore back.  Sweat Soaked.  Loosing my religion.  I even tied a string to a small nut, put that through the dash and got a hold of it.  But the string just slipped right off the cable. 
I decided to sleep on it.  Best move!
I then came up with a good way to put it back.  Take it all apart again!  From standing next to the car, just stab the rubber outer part back through the hole in the FIREWALL.  I stuck about 75 percent of it into the car.  Then, kneel down and reach up under the dash and find the runner.  Place the nut and washer on it (be careful, nut first, then washer)  Start feeding the metal wire cover into the rubber cover.  I had to stop a few times to work out a kink or two.  Once that was in, I slid the rubber and metal tight and installed under the dash.  I then feed in the wire (the actual cable).  Back up to the carb to attach it all and DONE. 
Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away"  Bryan Adams.