Author Topic: Restored pressure differential valve and proportioning valve  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Restored pressure differential valve and proportioning valve
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:18 am »
     Thanks for the replies.  My easy fix idea is moot anyway.  Neither fitting, the front left brake nor the plug on the other end of the dist. block, will budge.  Marcus when you say the other end do you mean towards the firewall? 
     A easy continuity test is to remove the sending unit from the dist. block, plug it back in, and move the plunger up and down.
 With the key in the ' ON ' position the ' BRAKE SYSTEM " light will flicker - or not.  Will try bleeding brakes again to see if it will center.  Thanks,  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 05:19:38 pm »
Brian, it may require more pressure on the valve then you are thinking is required...they sometimes tend not to move when just a slight imbalance is introduced.  Open either the front or rear, then try stomping on the brake pedal, hard and quickly, to see if you can get the piston to move...if you have power brakes it will help to have the engine running.  It is indeed possible to sit in the car with the switch on and watch the light to determine when you've centered the valve.  I've had to move a few back and forth several times in order to finesse it into "center" where the light is out.  Once you've done this by yourself a few times, the $10 Scott wants for the little tool will seem like quite a bargain...although it's not going to do you any good where you're at right now.  

Offline Craig429

• Shadetree Mechanic
  • Username: craig429
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »
I have read that in 70 they went to a different style pressure differential valve with a built in proportioning valve.  Is there a change over date such that early 70's may have the 69 style as AZSCJ posted?  What is correct for my September 12 1969, Metuchen 1970 SCJ?
I have seen one that was like AZSCJ posted but claimed it was from a 70. 
Craig
1970 Mach1 428SCJ  Auto, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker Option, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

1969 Mach1 390 4speed Indian Fire Red

Offline Chris Teeling

• Fanatic!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:47 pm »
I am taking a shot at restoring 3 distribution blocks and 4 differential pressure valves and have a few questions:

Marcus, did you remove the bracket from the distribution block for plating?

Does anyone have a proven tool / method that I could use to hold the differential pressure valve without damaging it while I break the brake line fitting loose from the round end?

Thanks in advance!
1968 1/2 Fastback
1988 LX 5.0 Hatchback

Offline anghelrestorations

• Old Hand
    • Anghel Restorations
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »

Chris - no, I did not remove the bracket but plated the whole assembly and then carefully removed the plating from the brass body.  It takes a decent amount of time...just need to be patient. 

As for removing the brake line from the valve, I used a thick rag and wrapped this around the valve in the exact same area where it would be covered by the bracket.  This way any scratches would be covered once the bracket is in place again.  To hold it in place I carefully used vise grips (with a round jaw, not the flat jaw vise grips).     
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline anghelrestorations

• Old Hand
    • Anghel Restorations
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:41 pm »
Craig - I cant see that any 70 Mustang would have the 69 style brake distribution valve installed.  Ford made plenty of changes from 69 to 70 and I have never seen an original car with a 69 style system, and think it would be incorrect if I did see it.  For your car I would use the 70 style to be correct. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations