Author Topic: Hubert Platt's '69 Drag Team Mustang  (Read 1443 times)

Offline fordflashback

• Newcomer
    • http://www.dearbornflashback.com
Hubert Platt's '69 Drag Team Mustang
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:59:42 pm »
I've only seen these shots of the finished car so far, looks great. Any other shots out there?

http://www.midamericafordmeet.com/images/2010_Galleries/Hotel_Banquet_CarShow/index.htm

Offline Sirrevsalot

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • SGRANT3470@AOL.COM
Re: Hubert Platt's '69 Drag Team Mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »
It looked very nice!!Looks like it was ready to rock.
1970 Buick GS350 Survivor

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:31 pm »
His 427 cammer car is being restored and should be done this winter.It will be very nice also.
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:57 am »
That brings back a lot of memories. We were at York I had my car there and Hubert had both Mustangs. We are in the staging lanes and Hubert says to me "If I win the round I want you to drive the Super Stocker in the second round". I won and he lost with one of the cars. I never drove it but I was honored that he asked even though it wasn't legal to change drivers.
Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl
www.gillisrestorations.com

1969 428CJ Q code Boss 302 test car former SS/GA Record Holder
1969 428CJ R code former SS/G Record Holder

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:28 pm »
Rusty, this is really neat that you were there back in the day. Neat to have you and others here that were lucky to see this era of racing.

Guys, I was there at Tulsa and my silly digital camera quit working Friday night. I figured the pics would be better the next day anyway so, really late I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new one. Little did I know that Jacky was off to another show Sat. and I never saw the car again that weekend!

I was pretty disappointed considering it was my main attraction to the show! Oh well... another show somewhere I will get it!
The car was so cool.. nice to be able to look at it in the lobby a/c! These pics were probably very early in the weekend since Fri. the car was pointed 180 degrees from this position. Was crappy lighting in there though. He took it outside late and fired it up to take it to the trailer and it sounded great..

Rusty, I have found that old magazine with the feature article of your car in it. Its yours if you need another, just send your address.
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:11:46 pm »
Rusty, this is really neat that you were there back in the day. Neat to have you and others here that were lucky to see this era of racing.

Guys, I was there at Tulsa and my silly digital camera quit working Friday night. I figured the pics would be better the next day anyway so, really late I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new one. Little did I know that Jacky was off to another show Sat. and I never saw the car again that weekend!

I was pretty disappointed considering it was my main attraction to the show! Oh well... another show somewhere I will get it!
The car was so cool.. nice to be able to look at it in the lobby a/c! These pics were probably very early in the weekend since Fri. the car was pointed 180 degrees from this position. Was crappy lighting in there though. He took it outside late and fired it up to take it to the trailer and it sounded great..

Rusty, I have found that old magazine with the feature article of your car in it. Its yours if you need another, just send your address.

Was it the one back in 1972? Yes I would like another copy Thanks

6330 Pine Hill Rd #7
Port Richey, Fl 34668
Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »
I was riding with Randy Payne leaving the track at Indy with the race car hauler going to the motel on a back road and Randy turned the key off and when he turned it back on it would backfire and the cows would take off running. He thought that was so funny and tried it again but this time blew the muffler off. Here is the factory Ford Team pulling into Indy with no muffler with their two Super Stockers in 1969. Hubert drove the truck to Michigan and we stopped at Ford dealers along the way trying to find a muffler but nobody had one until we got to Detroit.
Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl

Offline Dragpak

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:57 am »
 ;) Rusty, Where are the Pics ??
Ebay ID = DRAGPAK

1970 Mach 1 R-Code SCJ/4-Speed  V-Axle(3.91) - " DRAGPACK "
History = -Ex- Union Grove, WI & Fargo, ND  427 Center-oiler Drag Car   
Sold new at Crystal Lake, IL 
Dearborn = - Original Lois Eminger Invoice - Body Buck Tag

Offline bencole

• Old Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 01:15:13 am »
Rusty,

The guys at Muskogee, Oklahoma FORD dealership...Clem Smalley Ford... tell a story about the day the Ford Drag Team was supposed to come to the dealership but broke down in Southern Oklahoma, Durant or somewhere down there? U remember anything about that?

Ben Cole

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:05:02 am »
I was riding with Randy Payne leaving the track at Indy with the race car hauler going to the motel on a back road and Randy turned the key off and when he turned it back on it would backfire and the cows would take off running. He thought that was so funny and tried it again but this time blew the muffler off. Here is the factory Ford Team pulling into Indy with no muffler with their two Super Stockers in 1969. Hubert drove the truck to Michigan and we stopped at Ford dealers along the way trying to find a muffler but nobody had one until we got to Detroit.
That is soooo funny! Heck, I had to resort to talking my bus driver in junior high school to doing that! I bet that truck was an attention getter in the pits!
I think my bus driver darn near got fired over that....

Yes, the magazine is that Rodder and Super Stock from Sept. 72 for anyone else looking at these old magazines. I found one tonight that is a Drag Racing from 72 also and it has a full page b&w Accel advertisement with your McLellan car on it so it's coming your way too. Both are a little worn and fragile but I have lots of cool old magazines that have neat CJ stuff in them and I plan on sharing with the registry members...
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:10:07 am »
Rusty,

The guys at Muskogee, Oklahoma FORD dealership...Clem Smalley Ford... tell a story about the day the Ford Drag Team was supposed to come to the dealership but broke down in Southern Oklahoma, Durant or somewhere down there? U remember anything about that?

Ben Cole

I remember going to an AHRA race in Tulsa than Dallas Texas where Hubert had me drive the Cammer Mustang back to Atlanta on his F-350 ramp truck. When I got to his house in Atlanta his wife Bea fixed me breakfast. I had the pleasure of working for him a couple of months after Indy no pay but paid all expenses than he told me about his 1968 Super Stocker that I could buy for $3500 and we bought it in November 1969. It was a great experience and I also spent a few nights at his house with his family.
Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:13:27 am »
That is soooo funny! Heck, I had to resort to talking my bus driver in junior high school to doing that! I bet that truck was an attention getter in the pits!
I think my bus driver darn near got fired over that....

Yes, the magazine is that Rodder and Super Stock from Sept. 72 for anyone else looking at these old magazines. I found one tonight that is a Drag Racing from 72 also and it has a full page b&w Accel advertisement with your McLellan car on it so it's coming your way too. Both are a little worn and fragile but I have lots of cool old magazines that have neat CJ stuff in them and I plan on sharing with the registry members...

Thank you.

The noise was driving Hubert crazy he could not hear his 8 track country tapes.
Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl

Offline bunkie314

• Shadetree Mechanic
  • FR500CJ044
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:41:17 am »

God that is sooo funny.  We used to do it going down a hill to a boat dock.  Watch for a car coming back up the hill and get ready.  Judge how far they were a way, kill it, give her one sometimes two good full pumps, then turn the key on right next to the car coming out.  I bet they thought we were shooting a gun at them.  Lost several mufflers doing that, splitting them open and one end was gone on the cheapos.  Ahaaa...  What the days used to be whe gas was cheap.
Still going through Midlife acting like a 20 year old.