Author Topic: O/T HotRod Power tour 2011  (Read 3793 times)

Offline R Code

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
O/T HotRod Power tour 2011
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:52:28 am »
H i everyone, I was wondering if any Forum members might be going on the tour?

The reason why I ask is .............I am LOL!!..........Well me and around 15 Fellow Aussies are coming over for it. I am really looking forward to coming back to the U.S. I had such a great time back in Sept 2002 meeting some great people and seeing just a little of this beautiful country. Since we are driving on the tour I look forward to seeing allot more for sure  :)

http://www.hotrod.com/powertour/2011/hrdp_2011_hot_rod_power_tour_locations_dates_registration/index.html

2011 Hot Rod Power Tour Dates and Cities
December 21, 2010

Saturday June 4
Cocoa Beach, FL Port Canaveral

Sunday June 5
Valdosta, GA South Georgia Motorsports Park

Monday June 6
Montgomery, AL Montgomery Motorsports Park

Tuesday June 7
Nashville, TN LP Field

Wednesday June 8
Indianapolis, IN Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Thursday June 9
Muskegon, MI Downtown Muskegon

Friday June 10
Detroit, MI Metro Beach Metropark

Saturday June 11
Detroit, MI Long Haulers Ceremony (Location TBD)

If anyone could let me know of any "NOT TO MISS" places to see or visit I'd really appreciate it please check out the dates and venues? I know of the Henry Ford museum in M.I. but not much else? I think we are cruising to the Indianapolis speedway as well?

If anyone lives in or near any of the towns we are travelling through or staying in I would love to catch up over a beer or cold drink or even if you just cruise with us for a few block LOL!! I would be blown away if you even drove your Cobra jet out to see us? I don't want anyone to take any risks or anything, just if your up for a cruise or want to meet us at any of the towns we are stopping in for the evening I'd love to meet you?

When I know my exact dates I'll add them later, I do know after the power tour I'll be driving from M.I. to Norfolk V.A. to catch up with my good friend Joe Sikora for a week or so? So "Tony" mate what are you doing in June?  ;) ;D  I will also be going to the Charlotte 300 in N.C. in May which I will be fulfilling a teen age dream of seeing a Live NASCAR race  ;D

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/tickets/charlotte_300/

So any help with some cool venues or even speed shop that you think I'll need to see let me know I really apprecite some help on this one? I w
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:10:50 am by R Code »
Peter Manson

9R02R181708
special paint WT 7034 Green.

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=859

"one who asks a question is only a fool for 5 minutes! One who does not ask a question is a fool for life".

Offline Scott

• Old Hand
Re: O/T HotRod Power tour 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:56:31 am »
Peter,
Are you coming out to California after/before?  If so, I can take you over to the house where the original owner of your car lives/lived.  Maybe this time somebody will answer the door  :D
Scott
'69 Acapulco Blue Mach1 4spd SCJ W code (1 of 11)

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »
Hi Scott hows things,
I think the guys have arranged to fly out of L.A. to vegas in the same day...... : (

But I see our flight in arrives in L.A. at 0715 and  our Vegas flight doesn't leave until 1750.  Looks like I have a whole day to kill, I'd love  to make a surprise visit  ;)
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

"one who asks a question is only a fool for 5 minutes! One who does not ask a question is a fool for life".

Offline Scott

• Old Hand
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:12:52 am »
Remind me a week prior and we'll take a trip but after we have a pint or two  ;)
Scott

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 04:07:20 am »
Scott,
Your on, and the beers LOL!!  You may have a couple of hangers on but you let me know what's what close to the dates...Look forward to it.... : )
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:26 pm »
     Hey Peter, I know that time is always an issue when visiting anywhere. Then comes the money and what to see first decisions. There are so many places to see that it is not even a chance to get to them all. May I suggest a few places here in the West.
     You mentioned Las Vegas, great place in itself but wander a little ways away from town. Boulder Dam is really an awesome sight. It was built when LV was just a small sleepy town in the desert. The dam and the gorge that it is in are sights that you should see. A new highway bridge spans the river that I hear is great. Tours are available inside the dam. Not as nice of tour as before 9-11. Remember that the town never sleeps either.
     The south rim of the Grand Canyon is nice. During the summer there is an old steam train that runs from Williams Arizona to the rim. But they only let you stay at the rim 2-3 hours. The north rim is harder to get to but just as nice with fewer people.
     The area around Moab Utah is one of my favorites. You'll never see it all. A huge desert area with great vistas. The Great Salt flats in northern Utah where many land speed records were set is good. There is a huge open pit copper mine outside of Salt Lake City Utah. Visitors center is closed during the winter. :( There is an inactive open pit copper mine near Ely Nevada (northern) that is interesting.
     Keep some of these in mind for your next trip. You'll want to come back I'm sure.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »
Great advice, Thanks heaps will definately add them to our tour list, especially one of the salt flats as a few of us are part of the Dry.Lake.Racing.Association over here and he has a falcon coupe that has done over 203.67 mph here in OZ : )

I am alos always looking for amazing landscapes to add to my collection : )

Cheers thanks again : )
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline Scott

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »
Peter,
I'll take you by the dealer where your car was sold new.  It's now a used car section for Ray Andrews Ford who now has a new lot over by the freeway.  And, there is a good bar down the street for some cold ones ;D  Just give me a week or two ahead of time so I can plan the time off. If you and your friends were driving to Vegas, you could stop by my house which is on the way and we'd BBQ  ;D.  Also, i don't know if there will be a race but the Fontana Speedway is about 15 minutes away from my house. Sorry, I'm not a nascar guy
Scott

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:30 am »
Scot, Great Idea why didn't I think of visiting my old dealership even if it has changed : )  Mate, we are flying out too Vegas, otherwise would have loved to have a BBQ and drinks with you for sure, will have to settle with a few cold ones at a place of your choice?
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline jetset

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:31 am »
While at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, be sure to go to the Museum. It's great.
968 1/2 Mustang CJ Fastback
4-speed   3:50    Yellow

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »
Jetset, I believe that is what they have organised but if not I sure will be doing that, Thanks Mate!!
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline x-70option

• Vendor
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
Peter

If you want I can "arrange" a picnic - AS YOU DRIVE from Muskeegon to Detroit !!

I am 1/2 mile off I96 at Exit 151 EASY OFF/ON.   
IF you give me a heads up I can have the cars out , lift's empty for any work and beer in the AJ Foyt cooler !

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630 cel

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:59:36 pm »
WoW!!!  Mark, Is taht your backyard man when you BBQ you really BBQ  :o

That is a very generous offer mate, I'll put it on my to do list would love to catch up, I'll let the others guys I'm travelling with know as well and hopefully we can drop in, I'd love to check out some SVO's  ;) I'll call you either way as not sure how much time we can spare on the tour as we have check points at the end of each day and we need to have a check book signed?

Thanks heaps
Peter.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:12:55 pm by R Code »
Peter Manson

9R02R181708

Offline x-70option

• Vendor
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »
I could fill the cooler with Foster's and put koala bears in the trees if it will make them feel more at home !

Are you bring your car?

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630 cel

Offline R Code

• Fanatic!
    • Cobra jet page
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »
Don't do that mate, we see enough Koala's at home and Fosters is only for export for silly foreigners to drink  ;) ;D 

Fill it full of "XXXX mate" would be muchly appreciated LOL!!! 

http://www.xxxxangels.com.au/&utm_source=xxxxbrandhub&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=global_header&t=e4e36b8d9ecd99fc8283eeec8d3e4c014d2cd3dff29e4

No I could near pay for my whole trip for the costs of bringing mine over?

Thanks again Mark for the offer............ :)
Peter Manson

9R02R181708