Author Topic: 1970 Ford drag team coupe  (Read 2395 times)

Offline cjjeff

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: 1970 Ford drag team coupe
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:36 am »
No, I'm sure your assessment is probably correct. As far as the old CJ cars with any race history, I seem to have a fondness for them and especially if it is something that can probably be verified by owner history and/or pictures. Placing a value on a car like this especially when it was not particularly successful is certainly open to more subjective interpretation than if it was a stock car. And it has probably even more limited appeal to most. But it appears to me that this is one of the last semi-factory backed Mustang drag cars if I have the story correct..

I would probably make no attempt to make it street legal and would return it to the scheme in the pics and like you said, period correct parts. I would not care if the state of Missouri DMV assigned a new VIN to it either. And I'm more of a race car guy, not really a coupe guy but I like all the old Mustang race cars.. the history even if it is limited is interesting to me. I'm sure the guy has lots of money in the car that he won't be able to get back out of it. I just hope that it gets painted back to that Polaris scheme with no shaker like my picture if that is indeed what it is.

I collected many period correct parts for Black Magic and even it's history is sketchy in its first 4 years and I would love to have something like this to put all that stuff on.. then find or build a ramp truck like that one!
Previous owner of:
"Black Magic" 1970 R code Sportsroof
"Black Magic II" 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Currently own:
1967 Mustang GT fastback A code 4 speed

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:51 am »
one of the last semi-factory backed Mustang drag cars
     As it was told to me and its 40 years after the fact. Andy Plimm (I hope I got that right) fell into some money. I think his father, but it might of been him, worked in Ford's computer department. Something about a large lump payment for something from Ford. Ordered the car and threw a lot of money at it. Hired Baker as the driver. Figured they were going to blow everybody off of all of the tracks. Found out it isn't as easy as it looks.
     The Ford factory involvement was minimal at best. I got the impression that Ford didn't really have any money in this deal. I could easily be wrong on this. But calling it a factory car is likely a stretch. Notice on the truck, the biggest decal is for Autolite.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:45 am »
one of the last semi-factory backed Mustang drag cars
     As it was told to me and its 40 years after the fact. Andy Plimm (I hope I got that right) fell into some money. I think his father, but it might of been him, worked in Ford's computer department. Something about a large lump payment for something from Ford. Ordered the car and threw a lot of money at it. Hired Baker as the driver. Figured they were going to blow everybody off of all of the tracks. Found out it isn't as easy as it looks.
     The Ford factory involvement was minimal at best. I got the impression that Ford didn't really have any money in this deal. I could easily be wrong on this. But calling it a factory car is likely a stretch. Notice on the truck, the biggest decal is for Autolite.
Yep.. think that was kind of my impression. Thats why I used semi in my description.. I'm ok with my stretch! Others may not agree and that's ok too. And it looks like that is one of the Drag Team haulers to me.. maybe with a new paint job?
Previous owner of:
Currently own:

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:18 pm »
        Jeff,
           I agree the truck looks like a Drag Team hauler. The "box" on top was modified after it crashed into a bridge at Lions drag strip out here in Ca. They lowered it so it would not be a problem at any other tracks they went to.
         Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline cjjeff

• Fanatic!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:19 am »
        Jeff,
           I agree the truck looks like a Drag Team hauler. The "box" on top was modified after it crashed into a bridge at Lions drag strip out here in Ca. They lowered it so it would not be a problem at any other tracks they went to.
         Randy
Thanks for that info.. I thought something looked dfferent but I could not quite put my finger on it!
Previous owner of:
Currently own: