Author Topic: Cobra Jets are top qualifiers at INDY  (Read 1618 times)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
Cobra Jets are top qualifiers at INDY
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »
              Both stock and super stock ( last time I looked) were #1 qualifiers.

68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline jetset

• Occasional Poster
Re: Cobra Jets are top qualifiers at INDY
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:13:14 pm »
Went to the track today...lordy there were a ton of new Cobra Jets !   The factory stock shootout was awesome. That should be the new Pro Stock ! NHRA just does not get it...Ford, Chevy, and Mopar all with factory race cars and a chance to make it matter to the younger crowd that love heads-up racing.
968 1/2 Mustang CJ Fastback
4-speed   3:50    Yellow

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »
jetset,
I cant agree with you more. NHRA does not get it, just like NASCAR. Their attendance has been way down for years. You would think they would "promote" these cars as the new Stock/Pro Stock heads up action and bring back the crowds. The management of these organizations are so clueless its scary. I hate to say this however, drag racing and NASCAR are a dying breed.
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline carb, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Offline rusty428cj

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
              Both stock and super stock ( last time I looked) were #1 qualifiers.

#1 in Stock was a Mustang but not a CJ it was a 1978 302 Mustang II.
Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl
www.gillisrestorations.com

1969 428CJ Q code Boss 302 test car former SS/GA Record Holder
1969 428CJ R code former SS/G Record Holder

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:27 am »
     Rusty ,
         I forgot what a performance car those '78s were LOL. I do remember seeing that on Friday. Soft class for sure to run that far under. Nice to see Chris holbrook win the shootout.
      Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline eatmoparscrapchevys

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »
  The race fans showing up today in So Cal anyway amaze me.  Back in May at Pomona for the NMCA west event I was impressed to see a big crowd on a Saturday.  Then quickly I wished at least half didn't show up.  It is good for the sport but I couldn't take how stupid people where and how much they didn't even know what was going on.  During a qualifying session for an Open Comp race no less people were cheering for cars acting like they had won something.  I guess what made it worse was the fact that they all cheer for every Ford to loose.  Then they cheered the loudest for a stupid Honda that was a full on race, car huge turbo the whole bit beat a stock 99 mustang GT.  I couldn't believe people got excited over it.  I was like well what did you think was going to happen. 

I know it is good for the sport and good for the Idiots in So Cal to maybe keep one track open around here, but very annoying as a Ford fan.  They could have at least gotten the clue it was only qualifying. 
Sorry for rant talking about how NHRA doesn't get it just reminded me of that whole situation.

Seeing the Factory Race cars as the new Pro Stock class would be awesome.
69 sportsroof R-code not a mach 1
96 mystic cobra
91 5.0 GT

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »
I watched the coverage of the Indy Nationals and I have to say that had to be the worst 4 hours of television I've ever suffered through.  Thanks to the DVR I got through it in about 15 minutes.  All that was needed was a segment with commentary by Honey Boo-Boo, and maybe one with Kim Kardashian with her baby on the starting line.  It almost made watching Camrys on NASCAR seem interesting.

They've pretty much lost me.  The fuel dragsters are just ridiculous contraptions bearing no resemblance to a car...so why not just have a giant sling-shot to shoot the drivers 1000 ft to the finish line?  The funny cars are equally ridiculous, but someone apparently believes that putting the engine in front of the driver and then covering everything with some bizarre looking plastic shell makes them "different" from the dragsters.  The decals of the headlights and grill from a barely recognizable car are a nice touch though...very realistic.  My last refuge was Pro Stock, but the current iteration is really just last decades funny cars but normally aspirated on gasoline, with stick shifts.

All of this seems pretty clearly aimed at the current "fan" who has no idea what they're looking at, or care, except that they're very noisy, very colorful, go very fast, and sometimes flip upside down for a real treat.  What time is Honey Boo-Boo on?