Author Topic: '69 4 speed reverse switch  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Jiffy

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
'69 4 speed reverse switch
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:28:42 am »
There was a time when these were worth a lot more, but here's a guide to repairing your reversing switch if you have the original item and want it to work...
ok - the first photo shows the offending item - this particular one came to me with no harness, but I'll assume yours has it's harness still attached...

To get it open, you need to gently bend back the indents that have been struck in during assembly using a fine screwdriver. Be careful not to use to much force, you don't want to crack the black bakelite.

ok - so here is the opened switch with the bakelite cover removed and the problem is immediately evident, the little metal pin that forms the bridge for the 12v when the switch is depressed has jumped out of it's grove and fallen behind the plunger.

There was a lot of room inside this switch between the bakelite cover and the plunger - too much in fact, so in this case I used a grinder to remove about 1mm from the top of the opening to lower the cover and the contacts onto the pin and removed the room for it to jump out again.

So, here is the switch with the pin out and sitting next to the casing.

Put the pin back into it's slot and test the movement of the plunger - shown is half the available movement.

For the switch to electrically operate, the pin sitting in the slot in the holder must slide forward and bridge to two strips of steel in the cover (circled in red)

Then test the assembly with a multi-tester and make sure it gets a closed circuit when you depress the plunger...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:39:03 am by Jiffy »

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Re: '69 4 speed reverse switch
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:08:10 am »
Thanks, Jiffy! That's the neat thing about the mechanical switches used on our cars. They can usually be repaired.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:17 am »
Nice writeup Jeff.  I've yet to get one apart without cracking the bakelite cover, but at least I know now that it CAN be done.  I had one with a rusted and broken spring and stole a spring from an old fashioned ball point pen to fix it.  Not ideal, but it worked.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline x-70option

• Vendor
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:11:12 am »
There was a time when these were worth a lot more

Like all parts that don't have a replacement BUT THEN a repro become available you are correct on the value.

While you can tell the difference in your hand MANY just want to have a working car and accept the differences.

Parts that you can SEE offend much more.

Mark
P.S.  Thanks for taking the time this will come in handy !
Mark Haas
517 861 7630 cel

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:43:59 am »
Thanks for the clear, concise, walk-thru and pictures.  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic