Author Topic: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....  (Read 14455 times)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:31 am »
      I just got off of the phone with Bruce Sizemore a retired Ford Motor Co. employee.  Bruce was THE man behind that run of heads.  There was NO paperwork of any kind as they were NOT Ford authorized! Bruce "went upstairs"  to the "Scientific Engine Dept" ( ASK parts) guys and had them make a new intake port core pattern that flowed 30-40 more cfm (by his recollection) and had them cast at the (in house) prototype foundry. They were not machined at Ford for fear of being "caught" . The machine shop ( through a blueprint conflict) only drilled one accessory hole in the end of the head when they were made . Bruce also stamped his initials BS on the end of EVERY head.  The valve jobs were done buy Al Buckmaster in his garage at his house. Lightweight valves were supplied by Junior from H&M Charlotte. When finished Bruce personally handed out heads to guys like Ken McLelland ,Barrie Poole, Hubert Platt and others. Cars equipped with them ran at least three tenths of a second faster ( according to Bruce) that those with "production" heads. Racers quickly discovered the missing bolt hole situation so Bruce rigged up a jig to drill and tap the missing hole and was done overnight at the US Nationals. It was at that point the decision was made to grind off the BS and paint the heads corporate blue. the hands were left off of the dial by mistake, they were supposed to be there. When "some" Drag Council members noticed the improved time of their fellow Ford racers the rumors began to fly and cars were torn down but not caught ( initially) by NHRA's Marty Barrett. Monday morning after the race , Bruce was summoned to his boss's office ( Emile Loeffler) and given the " DON'T do THAT again!!!" speech to which he replied "What?" The "Canadian" moniker came fro Jerry Harvey  ( who didn't have them)  spotting them during he an Barry Poole's ( who DID have them) side by side teardown at Indy. Bruce feels it was Jerry or his father Paul ( the Ford dealer) who "ratted" him out to his boss Emile.
      A surprising phone conversation and revelation , very unexpected.
   Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:12:09 pm »
Great story Randy and thanks for sharing.  Oh what the boys will do to have a little fun.  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline John

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
  • ARI Pace Car Conv
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »
Did he remember how many sets they made?

Offline Dave R.

• Old Hand
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:28 pm »
That is an amazing story. Makes one wonder how much more of that kind of thing went on inside the corporate walls.   Dave R.
Currently:
1969 R code Mach 1 4 speed restoration. My occasional driver.
Formerly:
2000 GT 'vert 5 speed (her DD)
1998 plain jane 6 cyl. auto (her DD)
1974 fastback 4 cyl. auto ( her DD)
Seems to be a pattern here.

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:37 pm »
Randy, can we capture some (or all?) of this on the head ID page?
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »
   Scott the information is for all to enjoy and benefit from . Helping keep this the #1 site for CJ information is what it's all about. I enjoy doing my part when I have something to add. I have learned allot from other members here that have experience where I don't.
    Randy
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly

Offline jetset

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:32 pm »
Randy:  Thanks for posting, great story. We are blessed to have you on this forum.
968 1/2 Mustang CJ Fastback
4-speed   3:50    Yellow

Offline LightWtJet

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:50:58 pm »
Did the winner of the 1968 Winternationals (Al Joniec) use them?  He beat Hubert Platt who had them.
68 White Fastback- Body work done

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:30 am »
From what I was told the heads were swapped out early off site during the 69 US Nationals week. The top US Ford teams got them a different gear set ant trans gears on 4 spd cars. They did not give any to Barrie Poole and the Sandy Elliot team . (The Ford of Canada racing rep would call his US counter part and rub it in any time the Sandy Elliot cars did well and the US guys would rather have anyone except them do well ).
It was at some point after the US National Barrie was given some and the US teams were not happy he had them and demanded he tell them who gave them to him (he would not tell them) .He ran as fast as the Canadian heads cars with regular heads here is why.
 A lot of the other CJ drivers would shift the cars like they were 427's and rev them to high .Barrie found by testing a week before the Winter Nationals the 428 CJ's ran better short shifting .He was going to make a pass and someone said Don't bomb the record so he short shifted and accidently bombed the record . After that he left his tachs shift point higher like everyone else but short shifted and ran faster than the rest of the cars . He told me a racer from Michigan wanted him to make a pass in his car so he did and ran a tenth and a half faster than the owner ever had just by short shifting .He didn't tell them why he ran that much faster though.
Once he got some Canadian heads he and John were tough to beat and won a lot of races including 70-71 Winter Nationals super stock wins .I was told the heads were worth 1.5 to 2 tenths .

had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:06 am »
Interesting stuff.  So 'short shifting' would be 4500 -5000 rpm's ?
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:31:11 am »
More likely around 6000-6400 versus 7000 +
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:43 am »
Did the winner of the 1968 Winternationals (Al Joniec) use them?  He beat Hubert Platt who had them.

Roger ,
        The heads used at Pomona were all "J" heads. The "Canadian" heads were C8OE and not made until later .

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:49:19 am »
From what I was told the heads were swapped out early off site during the 69 US Nationals week. The top US Ford teams got them a different gear set ant trans gears on 4 spd cars. They did not give any to Barrie Poole and the Sandy Elliot team . (The Ford of Canada racing rep would call his US counter part and rub it in any time the Sandy Elliot cars did well and the US guys would rather have anyone except them do well ).
It was at some point after the US National Barrie was given some and the US teams were not happy he had them and demanded he tell them who gave them to him (he would not tell them) .He ran as fast as the Canadian heads cars with regular heads here is why.
 A lot of the other CJ drivers would shift the cars like they were 427's and rev them to high .Barrie found by testing a week before the Winter Nationals the 428 CJ's ran better short shifting .He was going to make a pass and someone said Don't bomb the record so he short shifted and accidently bombed the record . After that he left his tachs shift point higher like everyone else but short shifted and ran faster than the rest of the cars . He told me a racer from Michigan wanted him to make a pass in his car so he did and ran a tenth and a half faster than the owner ever had just by short shifting .He didn't tell them why he ran that much faster though.
Once he got some Canadian heads he and John were tough to beat and won a lot of races including 70-71 Winter Nationals super stock wins .I was told the heads were worth 1.5 to 2 tenths .

Bruce personally drove to Canada ( in a '69 Boss 302) and gave Barrie a set. "FORD" did NOT distribute the heads. Bruce did because HE had them made NOT anyone at Ford. They were not even machined at Ford for fear of being caught. Even though it was "for the good of the company" it was not authorized which could easily have cost him his job. It was PURELY his choice as to who got them and he did say he had his "favorites". My next conversation will nail down some of the stuff I missed asking during the conversation. I have a list. LOL
      Randy

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:40 am »
That's who Barrie said gave him the heads under secrecy  ;D. The ones I have seen were number stamped on the pad where the rocker arms mount .The intake port floor has a bit of a dip in it you can feel and better valve pockets . Wish I had a set ,was told they made around 50 sets .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:51:14 pm by 428 CJ hardtops »

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »
Thanks, 161854, that's a great story.  That was almost Smokey Yunick level ingenuity.  Of course it was almost Smokey Yunick level cheating too  :).