Author Topic: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....  (Read 14420 times)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
Re: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:32 am »
   Now if we could find a photo of the end of the head with the BS logo ( or where it was ground off. That would brighten Bruce's day!
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »
Hi Bruce it was great spending some time with you at Norwalk. I was wrong on the date. He is a photo of the last Canadian head I had.

9H21, or Thursday, August 21, 1969. Pretty close to the actual event date during the last weekend of August (30 and 31 were Saturday and Sunday).
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
    • Sizemore Performance Engineering
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:14 am »
Thanks Scott.

I am quite certain all the above is correct and I (we) actually received the heads on Friday August 22ND. I recall a Saturday visit to Paramount Boring with heads, prints and a 'frantic attitude' to get them machined.  Makes sense that Dom would have finished and transported the 11 sets of heads to Indy no later than Thursday August 28TH for installation at Harvey Ford Dealership that night. NHRA Tech on Friday would have unearthed and raise questions about the ground strap/BS initials debacle, which created the Friday night 8/29 thrash to remedy both at Ed Martin Ford.  Where's that Poloroid camera I use to carry around? LOL Bruce 

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2018, 08:13:15 am »
Scott:

Sure could use your help identifying (above) all of us in the pic taken Saturday night at our special dinner gathering.  Bruce

Offline tbolt2

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2018, 09:06:54 am »
Attached is a pic of a 428 long block, identifying the three 3/8-16 tapped holes and assume the "missing hole" on a Canadian Head is the single one to the left.  From going thru what I have on cyl heads, the single hole only appears on a Cyl Head Assy. designed for Thermactor Air.  The single tapped hole is called out on the C8OE-N and C8OE-R 428 Cobra Jet Cyl Head Assy. drawings. 

Question is exactly what purpose did this tapped hole serve?  In a vehicle, the single hole would be on the pass side up front adjacent to where the alternator and Thermactor pump are located, and on the driver side in back adjacent to the dash panel (firewall).  Typically on Ford engines, the negative battery cable ground and alternator ground are connected to the cylinder block, not cylinder head.  In addition, typically there also is a body grounding cable that connects from the passenger side of the unibody to the intake manifold or cyl head, however that would be the area where the two tapped holes are.   

Perhaps someone with a production (original) 428 CJ Mustang could take a look at their vehicle and report back what they see.

Regards,
Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:38 am »
Scott:

Sure could use your help identifying (above) all of us in the pic taken Saturday night at our special dinner gathering.  Bruce

I have that same shot posted here, Bruce: https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=25532.msg172121#msg172121

Left-to-right, front row: Chris Teeling, Deb Teeling, Danny Truitt, and Gavin Pocock. Back row: John Spencer, Bruce Sizemore, Paul Preaction, Randy Gillis, Scott Hollenbeck, Brandon Badel, Jim Woods, and Jeff Coleman.
Scott Hollenbeck
1970 R-Code Mach 1
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2018, 10:14:46 am »
I updated the article using Bruce's text: https://www.428cobrajet.org/straight-scoop-canadian-heads
Scott Hollenbeck
1970 R-Code Mach 1
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:05 am »
Attached is a pic of a 428 long block, identifying the three 3/8-16 tapped holes and assume the "missing hole" on a Canadian Head is the single one to the left.  From going thru what I have on cyl heads, the single hole only appears on a Cyl Head Assy. designed for Thermactor Air.  The single tapped hole is called out on the C8OE-N and C8OE-R 428 Cobra Jet Cyl Head Assy. drawings. 

Question is exactly what purpose did this tapped hole serve?  In a vehicle, the single hole would be on the pass side up front adjacent to where the alternator and Thermactor pump are located, and on the driver side in back adjacent to the dash panel (firewall).  Typically on Ford engines, the negative battery cable ground and alternator ground are connected to the cylinder block, not cylinder head.  In addition, typically there also is a body grounding cable that connects from the passenger side of the unibody to the intake manifold or cyl head, however that would be the area where the two tapped holes are.   

Perhaps someone with a production (original) 428 CJ Mustang could take a look at their vehicle and report back what they see.

Regards,
Dennis
   Now if we could find a photo of the end of the head with the BS logo ( or where it was ground off. That would brighten Bruce's day!

Let's put the missing bolt hole issue/s to rest.

Q?  If you had one of the original 135 cars and prepared it for 1/4 mile competition, you probably would NOT use the off the showroom floor method of grounding the battery to the block.   The use of 'Hedman' or any other brand of headers would encourage you to re-route the ground strap to some other location.  Who wants to melt the insulation off a cable?  This is why all, or most of the CJ's competing in that era used the (spare unused) 3/8 taped hole with it's front right passenger side orientation.   ONLY THERE on an unaltered off the line 135 CJ's, not the BS/Canadian equipped cars. A simple way to verify these statements of fact, would be to contact Barrie Poole as he received a set of BS stamped heads, personally delivered by me [in the cover of night across the US/Canadian border] shortly AFTER the 1969 US Nationals.  I am also certain the heads Barrie received from me, had the BS identifying initials Hand Stamped at the machining source <Paramount Boring> and not by myself or Dom after we received the heads production machined castings from Paramount.   Hope this helps,  Bruce     

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:34 pm »
Barrie wanted badly to be at the 50th but had a kidney stone attack and spent some time in the hospital . I have his phone number if you wish to speak with him . For many many years he would not tell anyone you gave him those heads . He didnt want you to get in trouble and possibly lose your job.
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline tbolt2

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2018, 12:28:43 pm »
Bruce, et al;

Thank you for your post, however my original question still goes unanswered.

Question is exactly what purpose did this single tapped hole originally serve? 

In a vehicle, the single hole would be on the pass side up front adjacent to where the alternator and Thermactor pump are located, and on the driver side in back adjacent to the dash panel (firewall).  The single hole only appears on a Cyl Head Assy. designed for Thermactor Air.  Although some racers removed the Thermactor hardware and may of used this as a grounding point, the hole wasn't originally placed there to act as a grounding point on drag cars equipped with headers.

Perhaps Scott or someone else that is more intimate with this site would reach out to someone that has an original stock production 428 CJ Mustang to identify the original purpose of this single tapped hole.

Regards,
Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2018, 03:07:35 pm »
As clearly as you have stated your question I am not getting it ?  Are you asking if the single threaded hole at the right front head had another purpose other than for the therm pump ?  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline tbolt2

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2018, 08:08:45 am »
As clearly as you have stated your question I am not getting it ?  Are you asking if the single threaded hole at the right front head had another purpose other than for the therm pump ?  Brian

No, my question is what originally this single threaded hole was used for, and your picture clearly answers/confirms it.  Thank you.  Likely on a drag car, emissions equipment would of been removed allowing that particular tapped hole to be available. 

Pls. keep in mind, the last time that I owned an FE powered vehicle with Thermactor Air was in 1971 or 72.  The "missing hole" was discussed before and during the meet @ Norwalk.  However, it was never clear to anyone which hole was the missing one.  In addition, being only owning 427 HR Fairlanes and LR/HR Galaxies for the past 40+ years, none of these utilized an air pump and only had the two tapped holes at the opposite face of the Cyl. Head used for supporting the fuel filter bracket, coil bracket, and dipstick tube bracket.

Regards,
Dennis

Regards,
Dennis

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 09:01:11 pm »
The date code on the ones I had say 9L17 on both .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:31:51 pm by 428 CJ hardtops »
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.