Author Topic: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....  (Read 6185 times)

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
Re: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2018, 10:34:27 am »
    Grant,
       I appreciate and agree with your suggestion. Here is a little background. It has only been in the last twelve years that I have been able to connect with some of these retired Ford engineers yet I have been dying to talk to them for OVER 40 years. Another friend of mine had a similar experience with GT40 information.Some of these guys haven't seen or spoken to their former co workers for over 30 years. I have the names of the key players in the late '67-71 time frame. I have reconnected several while chasing the information I have. However I still run into road blocks from guys that have passed , don't want to be bothered or I can't track down. Ford's EEE building and it's people did many cutting edge projects , some of which still haven't seen the light of day. At the time it was "top secret" and not to be talked about and some still feel that way. I also suffer from being an "outsider" but my knowledge base  has opened some additional doors.  In a case like the Canadian head , when the guy on the other end of the phone says "I am the guy responsible for those heads being made" , I am all ears. The direct information is what I posted and will expand on as I learn more from Bruce and others. I always send  PM to Scott as well so he can have the information to apply wherever it is pertinent.
      I hope that is what you meant in your post.
           Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oyeynik racecar hauler

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
I can help find these fellows because it's common for succeeding generations of men and women that worked at the big three to follow their relatives into the manufacturing plants in the Detroit region.

An uncommon last name search and contact will be my first step since landline phone numbers are listed on the internet white pages and old timers tend to keep the landline service and phone number for many years.

Those of us that are interested in helping with the search can form a group and from there we can divide the search detail for efficiency.

Googling a person might reveal an award or otherwise mention him in an article published 40 or 50 years ago and if the person has passed, his son or daughter would be honored that somebody is interested in his or her dad's achievements while he worked at Ford and might have documents or photographs which would answer some unanswered questions that we have.

My professor friend that is nationally known as a small block Corvette expert has attended reunions of engineers and manufacturing chiefs and while many of these men are in their nineties their memories are sharp insofar as recalling events 40 to 50 years ago but not so sharp with regard to current events.

My feeling is that if these men are approached by an enthusiastic youngster of 60 to 70 years of age they will gladly relate any information relevant to our cars and will steer us to others as well.

There may be another version of Lois Emenger out there, somewhere..

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:25 am »
    Been there done that Ken. I got the cold shoulder 99% of the time.  What HAS worked is "I was talking to xxxxxx and he said you might know...." I appreciate your offer Ken but it isn't as easy as "just calling a guy up" , if it were I'd have known this stuff twenty + years ago.
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

• Fanatic!
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:35 am »

I have an email and phone list of organizations relating to Ford.

It's a short list but that's all we need.

The plan is to do a Andy Dufrane.  Remember the letters he wrote every week for a year asking the state to fund the prison library?

Today I'll call and tell the president and tell him that I wanted to call to say thanks for everything, we really appreciate the fine job you and your staff are doing. 

It may take a while but I'll invest 10 minutes a week for our club, somebody out there knows something.

However.  My former boss had a favorite saying that kept the troops in line.

"Be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 01:58:15 pm »
     Randy, here is a trick that I've used to chase down old classmates for reunions. Go to findagrave.com. Search by the last name in the suspect state. Look down for who you're looking for or maybe a relative. Many times there is a copy of the obit or other mermorial info. In my case I'm looking for the married name of a female classmate. Often her husbands first name is listed & maybe what city/state they live in.
     Is it perfect? Far from it. But its the best method that I've found to find people. Especialy women who changed their last names upon marriage.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:21 pm »
   I appreciate the tips from all.

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2018, 01:04:13 pm »
   I appreciate the tips from all.
     I'm an outsider but I sure would like to see these valuable historical things saved. All that I can do is offer related tricks that have worked for me in the past. Unique names can get you a lot of info on findagrave.
     Sometimes the story behind the story is where the real jewels are. Keep up the good work.
     I was thinking, The "Canadian" heads had to of cost quite a bit of money to develop. How in the world did they hide the development & casting costs? I'm get the impression that someone did the machining at home on a Bridgeport. My hat is off to whoever did it if that is how the machining was accomplished. That is a pretty big task to tackle. Where did they get the springs & valves? Where they shelf items that they could sneak out of the racing program? The little details should be interesting.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2018, 10:33:42 am »
       Grant,
           Your curiosity takes us to a sensitive area. The port work was done in the Advanced Engine group. ( Hourly employees) The castings were made at the prototype foundry And charged to a "research" account. The machining was done at an outside source shop that did machine work for Ford. I'm sure their bill was paid. The valve jobs were done as previously described. I will ask Bruce if the heads were bare or "loaded" in a future phone call. I don't see any reason for more finite details. We must respect that it was done in the first place.
     Randy

Offline tbolt2

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2018, 12:39:56 pm »
Domenic Garofali, Tony Rainero, and Emil Loeffler are planning to attend the CJ Reunion @ Norwalk.  Promedia is also contacting Bruce.  I suggested to Steve W. that a round table discussion be conducted to discuss among other topics, the Canadian cyl heads.  Also suggested to contact Al Buckmaster.  This likely will be first and only time that all these players will be together in order to clear up the mystery.  Anyone that is into Cobra Jets, especially the drag units, really need to be there.

Regards,
Dennis

Regards,
Dennis

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2018, 10:01:45 am »
    Tony mentioned this was going to happen when I last spoke with him. This really is a fantastic opportunity. I wish I could attend.
    Randy

Offline rusty428cj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
I will be there with my car on display. I talked Dan White who worked with Hubert Platt and the Ford Drag Team into attending.  Look forward to meeting a lot of you in Norwalk.

Rusty
Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl
www.gillisrestorations.com

1969 428CJ Q code Boss 302 test car former SS/GA Record Holder
1969 428CJ R code former SS/G Record Holder

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
    • Sizemore Performance Engineering
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2018, 06:33:07 am »
Good Morning ALL. 8)  Most you will be glad that I found this Forum, to set the record straight about one of my most guarded, proud achievements, while working for FOMOCO.  Yes Randy is correct with his 12/4/17 post, as that particular Monday is the very 1ST call I have made searching for aftermarket parts for myself in 40 years    So I shall Welcome myself to this very important forum that will help this old World Champ Gramp recall arguably my crowning achievement of all my sometimes clandestine activities being solely responsible for the creation and producing of these so called 428 CJ “Canadian Heads” aka BS heads etc.  I must abruptly end this post as I am out the door for our 7am breakfast meeting (every Saturday) then thrashing hard on the creation of new Stuff WorldChampGramp is spearheading right here in SWFLA.  Promise I will not disappoint you with New 100% gospel facts still residing in this aging juvenile body.  Bruce
P.S. If you wish to see what Gramps is up to in the Ford Big six camp NOW July 2018 please click here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539201-very-exciting-news-three-new-cylinder-head-options-4.html   

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2018, 10:49:01 am »
   I wish I could attend the reunion but simply can't . For those of you that are attending this is a once in a lifetime opportunity!  I spent the better part of thirty years trying to establish contacts with guys like Bruce. The turning point happened when I caught up with the late Bill Holbrook ( rip) many years ago. During my several hour long talk with him I asked why there was so much "secrecy" involved in what these guys did. His reply was he knew why it was secret at the time but couldn't understand why it should be now and vowed to help me. Bill opened many doors for me , allowing me to understand the how and why many parts were created. One difficulty was brought on by time. When a job ends and people go elsewhere the contacts are often lost. Part of my work was to help these guys reconnect with their former co workers. Not everyone wants to be "found". Fortunately the Cobra Jet was a project where there was allot of pride and sense of accomplishment. I'm sure when these guys get going , MANY never know facts will surface. "Assembly line information" might be a stretch IMHO.
     Thanks to all the special guests that are attending. I hope you all will be surprised at the amount of interest and respect you get during the reunion. Back then "it was a job" for you but that job created everlasting interest in the Cobra Jet package.
      Randy