Author Topic: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Rory McNeil

• Occasional Poster
Re: After 49 years the "secret" is out on 'Canadian" heads.....
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2018, 02:34:47 pm »
Welcome Bruce !!    Will make it a point to say hello to your old friends (they know they are old) at the "retired Ford Racers" lunch at Doc's in MI (every first thursday of the month) !!

Love reading about your achievements , past and present - I have one of Tony Rainero's cars and will be with Tony and Dominic in OH.

Mark
Back in 1977, I went with a buddy to pick up one of the Wheel City Super Stock Fairlanes, a 2 door sedan, white with orange flames, and had Tony Raineros name on the doors. He bought it less engine, but it came with 2 Doug Nash crashbox Toploaders, 2 sets of Cragar Super Tricks wheels and slicks, 2 hood (1 scooped fiberglass, 1 flat steel, both painted to match the flames), tha Accel BEI distributor and cable driven tach.  Pete sold the Fairlane in the early 80s, some rich kid kept it stored for years, until another buddy bought the car in the late 80s, painted it dark green, and raced it for a few years, before selling it to RJ Sledge in Texas.Later a fellow in Michigan bought the car, but I believe he died before finishing the car.
427 FE powered Ford Fairmont drag car. ET:9.97@132mph
Have owned 5 "R" code Mustangs & Fairlanes over the past 25+ years.
Currently building a 1959 Ford 2 door sedan with a 428 CJ and Toploader 4 speed.

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
    • Sizemore Performance Engineering
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 11:15:49 pm »
Hi All its "Gramps"

I guess the best way to tell the real story of why, how, when and by whom the "Canadian Heads" formerly known as the BS heads were conceived, bootleg ordered, shipped from the casting plant in Cleveland OH to Paramount Boring and Machine in Sterling Heights, MI, machined to factory OEM prints ( Minus [1] 3/8 x 16 NC bolt hole in the Front "Pad" of the head) then released to me personally without ANYONE knowing, with the full knowledge of our preferred Vendor Paramount Boring & Machine and its owner Jack (last name escapes me) who also did all our 429 Boss prototype machining (explains why Jack was MY choice) etc etc.  Deliberately not continued b/c I am sure some of you will have questions even about the foregoing disclosure, Yes I said deliberately as Bruce Sizemore is coming to tell the rest of this and other "can you top this stories" IN PERSON.  Yes  TODAY 8/8/18 decision Day to Attend this Gala 50Th reunion.  Can't wait to see some of you who knew me and always wondered if I was still alive & kicking.  Rumors Abound >>This goes back some 20+ years ago when word had circulated that I was a victim of a bar fight that ended in my permanent loss as in Toast, Bye Bye.  See you in a few weeks.  Bruce       

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2018, 11:46:28 am »
   THANK YOU  Bruce!
      I am what I call a 50 year "student" of  EEE and it's people. From the first time I saw experimental parts , I have researched them and those behind them. As I told you before THE most difficult obstacle was getting former engineers to talk about the stuff. It was like there was a code of silence among guys from that group. One by one , I began to break into the " inner circle" . First was Dan Nowak who gave me much of the basics. The man that unlocked the door was Bill Holbrook (rip) who took me aside and asked "what do you want to know and how can I help?" Over the next few years Bill opened any door he could for me and  I am eternally grateful to him. This allowed me to supply contact information to and reunite many of your fellow ex employees.
   Your exploits on the drag strip were well documented and the Preparation H cars are legendary. Now it's time for people to see what you did in your "day job". It might have been "just a job" to you then , but look at how your little"private project" ( BS heads) and some of your other ones changed racing. It is FASCINATING to those of us that weren't there and don't understand how things worked at Ford.
    This will be an HISTORIC event.
       Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2018, 12:03:27 am »
Randy:  Ony one slight hiccup in your very inspiring and humbling post. You used cars (plural) after Preparation H and I must remind everyone there was only (1) Preparation H not 2 as some have verbalized. This H/MP Maverick I  piloted to One National event win the 1973 Summernationals Englishtown, NJ after two red light finishes in the prior to attempts 1971 & '72 same Englishtown venue. The Don Hardy "Pro Stock" Pinto I had built to gasser chassis specs in 1974 became my most feared competitive entry in the NHRA Modified Eliminator Ranks with 7 National Event wins, one DIV 11I championship in a period of 4 years. The (2) toughest Eliminator Wins with the I/Gas Pinto were the 1975 World Finals at Ontario Motor Speedway and my last and final pass down the 1320 The 1978 US Nationals at Indy.  Here is the YouTube URL to convince some of this Forums members that all six bangers are not "stones".    and if some of this CJ forum would like to see a recent Pic of Yours truly with the ONE-AND ONLY Al Turner a Ford Performance guru on steroids please visit the Ford-Truck.com web site or better yet click on this page link;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539201-very-exciting-news-three-new-cylinder-head-options-4.html 

where all the Ford Movers & Shakers, the Prep H and Pinto articles,  fairly well represent how things were "back in the Day".  Look forward to some great reunions with CJ racers I haven't seen in almost 50 years + the Tasca Family who probably forgot who Sizemore was/is. CHEERS 

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:30 am »
     Thanks for the correction Bruce. I forgot the Pinto didn't carry the name over from the Maverick.  See you in two weeks.
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 08:45:12 pm »
Randy: I just noticed all the cool rides you have listed under your name.  Gramps could sure use your help and others who may have knowledge concerning the "whereabouts" of my Don Hardy I-Gas Pinto that was sold to Louis Oleynik in 1979.  It appears from your listing data that you NOW have  ('78 F350 Oyeynik racecar hauler)  Which BTY was used to haul around Gramp's Pinto after Louis purchased my Rocket b/c m contentious Divorce mandated this "Marital Asset" race car had to be sold. OUCH.  So after all that >>> anyone that can find this PINTO for Gramps will be showered with praise and some one-of a kind Race Car "goodies"  Randy spell check your Car Hauler Louis's last name.  Anal Gramps LOL     

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2018, 10:22:36 am »
   Thanks Bruce edit done. Lou sent me the paperwork he had for my truck. Independent racer out of Va. My truck looks like the G&R truck , blue cab , white box. 68,000 original miles. I would bet Lou knows where the car went. I remember seeing pictures of it with Oleynik logo. Didn't know that was your car.
     See you in two weeks,
   Randy

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2018, 08:11:48 am »
I just added a story to the web site based on info shared earlier in this topic and my conversations from last weekend with both Bruce and Domenic. I've asked Bruce for feedback, so there may still be some changes.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/straight-scoop-canadian-heads
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2018, 07:09:03 pm »
I think the Canadian heads I had were 69 dated not 68 .I find it strange that a car that debut in January and ran well needed a boost before September and the months of time to get the heads made to have them ready by then.I might be able to check a pair early this week for date codes .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2018, 10:18:36 am »
  The heads were cast in '69 , not '68. Indy '69 is the first race they were used.

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2018, 11:26:16 am »
I have some feedback from Bruce and will update the article with his edits incorporated as soon as I have time - probably next weekend. It would be interesting note the actual casting date if anyone can come up with it...
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2018, 12:13:46 pm »
The heads have 9B dates. Was told they purposely dated perhaps not actual. This is just my recollection over the years and have never conversed with any of the original men. I have owned 2 sets.

I have not been following along so may not be on same page with question
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2018, 03:42:06 pm »
The ones I had were all dated different 5 heads everyone different . Had NHRA caught on to them and if they all had one date code spotting them would have been easy .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline WorldChampGramp3

• Newcomer
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2018, 09:28:23 pm »
Strong Suggestion from Mr BS himself.  Let's wait until Scott returns from his travels and posts the rather anal summary of exactly what happened I authored last weekend and as Scott stated above he wants to review and verify as correct before posting.  I can with 100% cetainty state there can only be one or possibly two (if these 'BS'  heads were cast over a 2-day timeframe) as I personally received and delivered all 14 sets to the non-Ford off property machining source. Rusty Gillis and I had numerous conversations at Norwalk regarding date codes on the 'BS' aka "Canadian Heads".  His August month info makes sense but as I recall he added a date certain to the month and mentioned 8/23.  That sound a bit late so Maybe he can chime in to assist.  All I remember is that it was a scramble to pull this off but history bears out the fact that it did happen.  Bruce Sizemore "Father of the 'BS' heads"   

Offline rusty428cj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2018, 08:51:35 am »
Hi Bruce it was great spending some time with you at Norwalk. I was wrong on the date. Here is a photo of the last Canadian head I had.

Rusty

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:12:11 am by rusty428cj »
Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
727-847-7973
Port Richey, Fl
www.gillisrestorations.com

1969 428CJ Q code Boss 302 test car former SS/GA Record Holder
1969 428CJ R code former SS/G Record Holder