Author Topic: Stolen 1970 Q Code Sportsroof..Is it Out There?? 0T02QXXXXXX  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Anthony R.

• Newcomer
  • Username: Oneslow281
  • The Marks I Left Will Wash Away....In Time
Stolen 1970 Q Code Sportsroof..Is it Out There?? 0T02QXXXXXX
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:11 pm »
This was my grandfathers car that was stolen in front of a Staten Island tire store.
The shell of the car was later found ditched underneath of the bridges in the area with everything else stripped of it. All my life I have heard stories of this car. It wasn't until I reached 24 years of age to try and piece together the VIN number to one day find it or build a identical clone of it.
I then later obtained these pictures of the car from my uncle. These are the only pictures i believe exist of the car.

I want to take a shot in the dark with this thread...who knows. below is all the information i can gather on the possible existing or past vin number.

0 1970
T Metuchen NJ Plant
02 63A Mustang Sports Roof
Q 428 Cobra Jet. Non shaker
63A Mustang Sportsroof
D Yellow Paint, Ford 3470A
Unknown rear ratio...4.10s were installed by grandfather along with lakewood traction bars
6. Close Ratio Transmission (hurst Shifter)
Black Interior...Unknown fabric
Known Options:
Front Bumper Guards
Rear Spoiler
Color Key Mirrors

Very Excited for feedback!
And Thank you for your time and interest.

-Anthony

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:09:27 pm by Anthony R. »
2002 2 Valve GT 37,500 Miles
Soon to Own- 2008 Saleen Red Flag 154
Soon to Build - 1970 428 Q Code Sports Roof

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
Re: Stolen 1970 Q Code Sportsroof..Is it Out There?? 0T02QXXXXXX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:16 pm »
Oneslow281, are you trying to reconstruct the full VIN? My only suggestion is to contact Kevin Marti. I seem to recall that he and his staff may be able to come up with the VIN of Grandpa's car using the info you have. IF it is possible I'm sure it comes at a price. Good luck.   Dave R.

Offline Anthony R.

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:59:16 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm trying to get as much of the original vin as possible and also try to see if the original drivetrain is possibly in another car or in a yard somewhere.
A Marti report is definitely something I would like to get done in the near future. Whatever the price is...it'd be worth it.

I'm just really glad to come across a forum with this thread specifically regardless if I find any information or parts or not.

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:29 pm »
OK. I get you. There are other Mustang forums where you could post also. As Grandpa used to say "Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while". Good luck.   Dave R.

Offline 9F91R

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:33:03 pm »
I was in a similar situation that you're in around 2006. I called Marti Auto hoping they could help me find the VIN and provide me a report of my dad's Cougar Eliminator he originally bought in '69. One thing I knew that I'm not sure if you know is the dealer name among all other details of the car. I'm not sure if knowing the dealer will assist them in their search though. I was told it would take months to find the car in the database, well they called me back three days later because the then-current owner of the car had requested a report. I was eventually able to buy the car from that gentleman, returning the car home after a 38 year hiatus. I hope my story gives you hope for a positive conclusion to your search!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

• Old Hand
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:38 am »
Marti Auto can research the VIN using information you provide.  \

Send your information and request details to sales@martiauto.com.
The information you need to provide would be:  Original Selling Dealer and a detailed description of the car. Only list options you are 100% certain on. If you are not sure then you should not list it.

Marti Auto will see if it’s enough information and let the customer know.  I have been told that the cost for this is $100 but it does not include an emailed Deluxe Marti report.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!
~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:06:34 pm »
I was in a similar situation that you're in around 2006. I called Marti Auto hoping they could help me find the VIN and provide me a report of my dad's Cougar Eliminator he originally bought in '69. One thing I knew that I'm not sure if you know is the dealer name among all other details of the car. I'm not sure if knowing the dealer will assist them in their search though. I was told it would take months to find the car in the database, well they called me back three days later because the then-current owner of the car had requested a report. I was eventually able to buy the car from that gentleman, returning the car home after a 38 year hiatus. I hope my story gives you hope for a positive conclusion to your search!

What a great story.   Dave R.

Offline 9F91R

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:14:40 pm »
Thanks Dave! I just noticed we don't live too far from each other, I'm over in Clermont county.

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 06:40:29 am »
Thanks Dave! I just noticed we don't live too far from each other, I'm over in Clermont county.

We are practically next door neighbors. It is a small world sometimes.   Dave R.

Offline Anthony R.

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:00:29 pm »

That's absolutely amazing to hear that you got the car back! Definitely sheds some light on my search.
I cant wait to get my marti report to see the official numbers and specs of my grandfathers car.
So Far I have it as 1 of 42 Non Mach 1 Sportsroofs with the 428CJ and Close Ratio Trans
And one of however many of those were in D code Competition yellow.

Definitely adds to the cool factor of the car.. Especially for most of my life I thought it was a Mach 1.

-Anthony

Offline 70 BOSS 302

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 06:45:22 pm »
Cool car your Grandpa had.  I've got a yellow Q code too.  Below is the personalized stats on my car.  Looks like there were only 4 yellow 4 speed Q code Sportsroofs.

If you know where it was sold new, Marti should be able to search their data from that angle and get you the info you want.  My bet is there wasn't many 70 Q code Sportsroofs sold at that dealer so it should it should be fairly easy to find.  Good luck! 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:37:45 am by 70 BOSS 302 »
1970 Sportsroof - Q SCJ - W code - 4speed
1970 BOSS 302 - W code Detroit
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline Anthony R.

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 06:14:22 pm »
Cool car your Grandpa had.  I've got a yellow Q code too.  Below is the personalized stats on my car.  Looks like there were only 4 yellow 4 speed Q code Sportsroofs.

If you know where it was sold new, Marti should be able to search their data from that angle and get you the info you want.  My bet is there wasn't many 70 Q code Sportsroofs sold at that dealer so it should it should be fairly easy to find.  Good luck! 

Thank you so Much! Before signing up on this forum I googled cars that were like his and actually came across old pictures you posted on here from an old thread and had em as my computer background haha . Absolutely beautiful car!

As for the dealership im talking to my dad right now at the dinner table and hes pretty sure it was Francis Ford on Staten island. Im gunna give my grandfather a call tomorrow to see if i can gather any more information. And as you said if the car and option combination is that rare...it shouldnt be hard for a Marti report to be constructed. And naturally im gunna go for the Elite report.

I greatly appreciate everyones input and you posting those production numbers. It was exactly i was looking for. And i cant wait to find out more information so i can post more updates.

Thanks again,

-Anthony

Offline 70 BOSS 302

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 11:33:16 am »
Anthony,  Glad I could help and good luck in your quest to resurrect Grandpas old car.  I keep a data base of all the 70 428 Sportsroofs, both Q and R, that I've gleaned from the registry and other sources and there are no other yellow cars, known at this time, except mine and it's twin, another yellow Q 4.30 Sportsroof .  Once you figure out your vin I would post it here and who knows maybe the current owner will see it and contact you but just hasn't even registered it here. 

I assume you've seen the thread to my car in the 70 Gallery section but if not the link is below.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=10636.0
1970 Sportsroof - Q SCJ - W code - 4speed
1970 BOSS 302 - W code Detroit
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline Anthony R.

• Newcomer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
Its beyond exciting to hear that 2 out of the 4 cars are alive!
As soon as i have extra money to play with im going to get that Marti Report done and post it up.
Is your cars twin registered on here as well?

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
Anthony you are doing a really good job. Your Grandfather must or would be very proud of your efforts. Darrell is the man when it comes to 70' Sportsroofs. I have no doubt you are very close to the vin now. Great story !!
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed