Author Topic: Tasca, KR8, Street Bertha, 505 mustang, Tasca birds, Street Boss. Any questions.  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
If it's a mach 1, but not likely he said the motor was unsalvagable and they walked away from it heart broken and it was likely scraped. It was only temporarily in Street Bertha  and had it's 428CJ back in it shortly. The tunnel port went into Carl Sir mach 1 and was ruined by the guy they sold it to in MA. Other then some mules built for testing and the Lloyd Ruby that Tasca came back with in the KR8 and then temporarily in the Street Bertha there was no other car other then the mach that had a 427. I'm sure 427's went in Mustangs down the road especially some that raced but according to my father the TP never stayed in a 68.5 mustang that left Tasca.
A

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
68.5 are the later regular production cars offered April 1 through the remainder of 68 production end of July. They all had full dressed regular production parts.
The cars with the early stuff we are discussing and you are helping with are the 50 Mustangs built 4th week Dec 1967. The car Randy mentions is 135007. This is the first 135 CJ Mustang and did in fact get a TP fit at one point. Going to call Ben so he can tell the story of his car if he wishes but it's in the archives.
I believe Cougar 038 received the first full dressed street 428 CJ in November 67 when Ford pulled the GTE Hydraulic 427 and sent the car back out for 68 promotion. This was a month before 135 series went down the line. The car has XE intake, 390GT exhaust, PS cooler, same carb as 135.
8F91R577646  Black 4 Speed

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Kerry
You aren' t suggesting Ben Cole has 007 are you?  Jacky Jones owns that car.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Not sure why I wrote 7 thanks Jim. Ben's car is Tasca car driven by Clem S

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=9417.msg54880#msg54880

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Adding this past discussion as well so we end up with a great collective thread on the topic.
Ben 41 car discussed again by Roger
https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=10313.msg60767#msg60767

Offline LightWtJet

• Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks Dave for your help.
The  best ET the KR8 ran in Dearborn was 13.46 secs at 104.47 mph. Tasca said it had a best of 13.39secs at 105mph.
KR-8 Package per Hot Rod Magazine
During his visit to Tasca Ford, Hot Rod's Eric Dahlquist made the following notes about the modifications to Tasca's KR-8 Mustang.
    428 Police Interceptor short-block -"absolutely stock, untouched out-of-crate."
    Cylinder heads: '63 1/2 406 ("'63 1/2 427 preferred").
    Valves: 2.06 intake and 1.66 exhaust valves, light hollow-type with stock 427-type valve springs, 1.82-inch installed height.
    Rocker arms: adjustable 1.76.
    Cam: Stock '67 390 GTA, advanced 3 degrees.
    Intake manifold: Police Interceptor aluminum with Bakalite spacer/divider.
    Carburetor: Holley LeMans, with four-way shooter nozzle and LeMans manual linkage curve.
    Fuel line: 3/8-inch from gas tank to 427-type fuel pump ("relieved with #13 drill bit to eliminate percolation when hot; electric fuel pump optional").
    Air induction: 6-inch opening in grille, connecting to carburetor.
    Distributor: 427 dual-point with full centrifugal 10-degree plate and 427 HP wires.
    Exhaust: 427 Fairlane headers modified to fit; 2 1/4-inch H-pipe and tailpipes from '66 Fairlane, glasspack mufflers.
    Other: BF32 spark plugs, GT350 power steering pulley, deep sump oil pan (6-quart capacity with filter), 427 oil pump, no exhaust control valve.
    Transmission: Stock Police Interceptor C6 with heavy-duty converter ("1-2 shift at 6,400 rpm; 2-3 shift at 6,200 rpm").
    Rearend: 3.50 Limited-Slip with 28-tooth axles.
    Front: 5/16-inch spacer under left-front lower spring pad, increase left-front stabilizer 3/4-inch link spacer, increase right-front 3/8-inch link spacer.
    Rear: Increase right-rear spring hangers 2-inches, increase left-rear spring hangers 1-inch, turn two leafs 180 degrees but leave main and first leafs in standard position, Shelby-type snubbers in same location as GT500. Clamp rear springs similar to original equipment.
    Autolite SuperFlex shock absorbers.
    Relocate battery to right-rear; use heavy-duty
    Rear tires- Special soft 37 durometer rubber specially made for Mr.Tasca (those shown in the article are very wide).
68 White Fastback- Body work done

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
I hope that doesn't create any controversy my father says there's no way the TP engine ever left in a 68.5 CJ from Tasca. I had read a couple of threads of Ben If I remember his car was 041, 1 of the 20 first 50 cars without seam sealer and sound deadener and 1 of 3 that Tasca got in their shipment of 10, 042 waste Super Stock CJ my father tuned. There's a nice pic of it's restored to racing form under the 135 cars. I had sent Ben a pm offering some insight on Tasca history but haven't heard from him. Couldn't estimate the value of that  car with the Tunnel Port engine. It would be 1 of 1 in a whole other class. I'll go look up some of Ben's threads to see what kind of history he's been able to dig up on his car. So many cars were coming thrust the dealership in those days between Shelby's, CJ's, AC Cobra's and their own custom builds I don't know how they kept track. Some of the magazine articles that were done at the time had factual errors that continue as fact with hobbyists even today. I read excerpts to my father from various articles and he just shakes his head and says nope thats wrong. Whether it's the wrong engine depicted in a photo or heads supposedly in the KR8 it is frustrating but I'm going to do a little fact finding of my own. Some of the old Tasca guys are still around notably John Healey and Ralphy Poirier as well as Dean Gregson.

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
If Ben's 041 car has the Tasca 427TP motor my father says there are some distinguishing characteristics. 1st he said it was a dry deck motor with no head gasket,it was sealed with the same stuff Rolls Royce aircraft engine are with a special sealer. Also it had fire rings like a diesel. It also had titanium rods, ex Ford engineers look away, because of the engines poor design. His words not mine. Also as seen in the Nov 67 Hot Rod article the air cleaner cover should say KR8 on it. That pic and another further down in the pic gallery show the car with the 427TP after it came back from MI. The second photo clearly shows, with the Y shaped air induction hoses flipped forward, the twin carbs. They had a single carbon on the KR8 so those 2 picks are the 427TP. Also after reading to my father the description of Ben's unfortunate accident on the track when he blew the engine my father says he would have spun a bearing but there's no way those titanium rods broke and went thru  the block. He also said because the block was closed there was special plumbing to get water, I might not have this right, from the head to the block? Someone probably knows what I mean. Bruce feel free to step in with some of that Ford engineer stuff.

Offline dso17

• Occasional Poster
Dggilbert maybe you can help clear up a rumor...Did Bob Tasca Sr. drive the 69 429 "Super Boss" to work? AND did it survive or was that car destroyed? Thanks.

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Yes he did, my father told me last week he drove it home and wouldn't let anyone pass him! That was the Street Boss 494ci can am aluminum engine campaigned by Tasca for Ford with the beat the Boss challenge.  My father drove the Tasca tractor trailer and ran the seminars for Ford dealers as they toured the country. The Super Boss was he flip up Logghe funny car where the Street Boss was a street legal mach 1 body with $3500 paint job, a lot of money in 69. Brent Hajek owns the car and has it displayed in his OK car museum and races the car today. Randy Roberts in OK restored the car and it looks amazing, I congratulated him the other night as I had some questions about some other Tasca cars he's restored.

Offline 1968r

• Newcomer
Just wondering if your father remembers  68.5 meadowlark yellow with saddle decor bucket seats, auto, 391 traction lock rear(1 of 1 as per marti report)---sold to William A Tenaglia of North Sctiuate Rhode Island---  I currently own the car but have it for sale on Cars On Line(I want a white or black 68.5 ). I do not have it registered on this site but will have the new owner do so. Any info or history would be much appreciated. I still have the original Tasca bill of sale. Car has been fully restored by Mikes Classic Cars and the motor was built by Randy Delisio. Really enjoy reading this thread.

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Sorry he doesn't remember the yellow car. We did talk about cars the Bopper drove home and he remembers getting a ride home from him in a 66 Mustang they called the Little Bear with a stroked 289 to 350 Hp similar to the Tasca 505 mustang, the 505 was customized by Alexander Bros. and was a car of the year, the Bopper inherited the car from Ford executive Bill Inns and was a experimental that Bill said was a dog but when they got it my father made some modifications that woke it up. Bill ended up visiting Tasca shortly thereafter and didn't believe it was the same car. While driving my dad home they got challenged bye a guy in a GTX  and the Bopper put his foot in it and drove away from him. Of course just like most of type Tasca cars, including Street Bertha , the car looked like a 6 cyl Mustang and easy prey. The idea was to keep a low profile, first so guys didn't look at the car and not wanna race, secondly as my dad says so had the cops set up a road block responding to those hooligans racing again they'd take one look at the car and let it thru  being careful not to get it much past idle. Exploring some of the questions posed here on type Registry I've heard stories I've never heard. It must've been like being a kid in a candy store being at Tasca in the mid to late sixties.

Offline dso17

• Occasional Poster
COPO vs 68 CJ

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Nice find dso! Looks like they left together. If I remember right he won 3 straight 11.4-11.5 never having drag raced before just a natural driver.

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Just showed my father that pic. He says that's an 1/8 mile track in Norwood, MA where they ran the Street Bertha just after my dad put the 427TP engine in it they wanted to test it before Mario drove it. Where did you get that pic dso?