Author Topic: Super Stock & Drag Illustrated June 1968 Tasca "Street Bertha" track testing  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Chris Teeling

• Fanatic!
Does Tasca have any records that confirm it as Street Bertha?
1968 1/2 Fastback
1988 LX 5.0 Hatchback

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Can only refer to the 3 page story in the McClurg book on 135019 being Street Bertha but have been doing some other research that could remove any doubt about the fact that 019 is Street. Bertha..My father hole sawed the shock towers to make it easier to attach the headers.. Very unlikely that would've been altered by restorers, Randy Roberts had no recollection when I spoke to him, so I'll get a good look at type shock towers as well as a few other particular modifications unique to Street Bertha. My father has said in the past the 427 TP dry deck Le Mans engine was removed from Street Berths. The 428 CJ went back in it and was sold with it's original CJ engine in it. The dry deck, no head gasket LeMans engine went into Carls 69 Mustang. The 427 in Ben Coles car was not the Lloyd Ruby 427 GT40 LeMans 427 dry deck engine.Consequently it becomes another 135 car that was raced and in thart case had a racing side oilier with tunnelport heads installed but not an engine Tasca had anything to do with. Whether it was Clem Smalley or another drag racer installed in it. With the potentiality of the 427TP removed from the scenario, it looks more likely that the provenance listed in the McClurg book on Tasca where they do a 3 page spread on the 135019 car as Street Bertha has some backing from dealership records. I am in the midst of an inquiry with Dean Gregson for more concrete evidence on timeline and title info. Bottom line is that the Street Bertha left the Tasca stable with a 428 CJ motor in it. Chris, the Torino my father built for Bob Jr was a 442 stroked motor with tunellport heads not the Lloyd Ruby 427 dry deck motor. The reason for the dry deck was that Henry II decidded did not want any engine failures in that years LeMans race and they were successful, head gaskets were apparently a weakness they were looking to bypass.