Author Topic: Original Paint or not ?????  (Read 550 times)

Offline Gr8t8

• Newcomer
Original Paint or not ?????
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:16:31 pm »
Hi,
I have owned my Dearborn R-code for 35+ years. The question is what color do I paint it?
 The car is significant only to me in terms of it history & uniqueness, there is nothing special about it except it is an ariginal big block vin. It is a limegold I5 hood shaker car with 4 speed and traction loc. I started a complete restoration about 3 years ago. Thus far it has been striped, media blasted. All the suspect sheet metal has been replaced with Dynacorn repop. The list is long and includes quarters, outer wheel houses, tail light panel, doors, torque boxes, trunk panel & drops. I recently bought a full floor and sectioned pieces of it to replaced failed areas so I pleased to say it is now fresh. Everything done has replicated the factory installation methods. The coolest thing about the car is it retains its original rear end, vin stamped trans and vin stamped heads. It is an 8M car and the date codes on cast parts are all K & L with a J the Carb. As such it is date correct with a std bore 8K block that does not have an assembly date on it or at least I am incapable of finding it on any of the machined surfaces. I am restoring the car to enjoy. It will be put back together basically stock without heavy leanings to concours correct. I have added sub frame connectors and done the Shelby drop. I will update to 4 wheel disc brakes for safety and convienence. The trans and rear will be rebuild bone stock. The mill will be build using zero balance internals but will be dressed in all the stock castings outwardly right down to the exhaust manifolds.
As far as I am concerned the car will be painted black with red/gold stripes. Most of my friends say it should be done lime gold and they make me wonder does it really matter given what I plan to do? I guess the question is really about value so it is irrelevant but I am curious what people think?

Offline gregwill16

• Occasional Poster
Re: Original Paint or not ?????
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:00 pm »
I have a Lime Gold 69 myself and when it was first painted I thought I had made a mistake. But as each piece went on it looked better and better, especially when the black hood treatment and stripes were added and later a set of Magnum 500 wheels. It is not a color for everyone but I personally like it alot and it stays fairly clean. But, it is your car and if you want black I would paint it black because that is the one color that I don't think hurts the value much if at all.

Offline x-70option

• Vendor
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:52:19 pm »
I would say doesn't matter at all.    You seem to exude "I'm making for me, I miss driving my car!"  so anyone that is stating CAR SHOULD BE LIME GREEN, may be generically stating that cars that are worth the most are cars "restored to original spec and colors" !

I hope Gary B comments............his paint it black with red stripes PROVES to be the best over and over!   (and I thought it was just the Chevelle crowd ) LOL

Mark
P.S.  You can either have a perfectly restored car in a color you hate, or a car build by you , to you tastes that WHEN YOU DRIVE IT you can say "I didn't build this for you!"   (Read When I'm dead you can paint it any color you want!)
Mark Haas
517 861 7630 cel

Offline Dave R.

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:03 pm »
What he said.  ^^^    Dave R.

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:10:13 pm »
Its yours do what you want .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 07:40:14 am »
Some colors don't add value in my opinion and lime gold would be one of those. Three years is a heck of a long time to own a car that you can't drive. Get to work!
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline fecarman

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 07:58:23 am »
Hi,
I have owned my Dearborn R-code for 35+ years. The question is what color do I paint it?
 The car is significant only to me in terms of it history & uniqueness, there is nothing special about it except it is an ariginal big block vin. It is a limegold I5 hood shaker car with 4 speed and traction loc. I started a complete restoration about 3 years ago. Thus far it has been striped, media blasted. All the suspect sheet metal has been replaced with Dynacorn repop. The list is long and includes quarters, outer wheel houses, tail light panel, doors, torque boxes, trunk panel & drops. I recently bought a full floor and sectioned pieces of it to replaced failed areas so I pleased to say it is now fresh. Everything done has replicated the factory installation methods. The coolest thing about the car is it retains its original rear end, vin stamped trans and vin stamped heads. It is an 8M car and the date codes on cast parts are all K & L with a J the Carb. As such it is date correct with a std bore 8K block that does not have an assembly date on it or at least I am incapable of finding it on any of the machined surfaces. I am restoring the car to enjoy. It will be put back together basically stock without heavy leanings to concours correct. I have added sub frame connectors and done the Shelby drop. I will update to 4 wheel disc brakes for safety and convienence. The trans and rear will be rebuild bone stock. The mill will be build using zero balance internals but will be dressed in all the stock castings outwardly right down to the exhaust manifolds.
As far as I am concerned the car will be painted black with red/gold stripes. Most of my friends say it should be done lime gold and they make me wonder does it really matter given what I plan to do? I guess the question is really about value so it is irrelevant but I am curious what people think? It's your car and your money. Make yourself happy because nobody else will.

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 08:59:24 am »
The Lime Gold looks entirely different in 2 stage Urethane base clear than in the 60's single stage Enamel.

Sounds like you have a vision for your keeper 8) Based on your realistic evaluation of the car I would paint it Black and never look back !
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:27 am »
Lime Gold. Why? I love that color! That said, its your car and you should be happy…paint it the color you like.
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline mounted carb, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Offline stangperformance

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:47:00 pm »
What they said , If I am going to drive and enjoy my car It definitely is going to be how I want it.
Black 67 GT 4 speed with Red Interior S code
Building 68 R code 4 speed 4:30 Acapulco Blue

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 08:01:40 pm »
The Lime Gold looks entirely different in 2 stage Urethane base clear than in the 60's single stage Enamel...

+1.  I think that the distinct difference isn't widely appreciated.  I actually liked lime gold back in the day, although it was horribly vulnerable to fading.  Over the years I came to dislike it, but I finally realized what I really disliked was the base/clear paint jobs, not really the lime gold color...there is something about lime gold that I think looks terrible in base/clear.

I personally could be happy with a lime gold car painted in single stage, but not base/clear.  There are several other Mustang colors that seem to be wildly popular, that would be an absolute no-go for me...so a butt for every saddle and a saddle for every butt.  Having said that, there is so little love for lime gold that I suspect that it is the one color where a color change wouldn't have a negative effect on value.

Offline Gr8t8

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 01:47:09 am »
Gentlemen
I'm not as concerned about value, that will be someone else's problem because after 35 years the car isn't going anywhere but my garage. Thanks for the responses, between "there's yet another black classic" VS. Seeing green when the door rolls up.  ... black on red/gold wins.
I bought a bone stock red on black 69 351w convertible "for my wife". I drive it on nice days while I finish this project. It's the iV that gives me patience and keeps the withdrawal symptoms at bay.

Offline 69bosssvt

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »
Ice slowly been restoring my rust free 69 CJ which came originally silver jade. It has been black since 1969 when it was turned into a drag racer...I'm restoring to use and am struggling with original or black as well...good luck with it ...do what you want..

Offline Rory McNeil

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:14 pm »
Back in the early 80s, when restoring my 70 R code 4 speed Mach 1, I agonized about this same dilema. My car was a factory Pastel Blue (paint code N) which is a very pale blue, almost white. Since it had a very nice factory blue interior, which I liked, my choices were limited, but after debating between the Pastel Blue, and Grabber Blue, I decided to stay with the factory color, and never regreted it. That car is long gone, but in all these years, I have only ever seen 1 other Pastel Blue 70 428 Mustang, this year in Pennsylvania, a Q code automatic car. But on the other hand, I used to own a 69 R code Mach 1, that was a factory Silver Jade with white interior car. When I bought that car in 1986, it had been painted black, with no stripes, and had the interior changed to black. I thought that car looked fatastis in black, and after I sold it to a buddy, who stripped it down to bare metal, he painted it black again, and added the red & gold Mach 1 stripes.  That really is a stunning combintion.
427 FE powered Ford Fairmont drag car. ET:9.97@132mph
Have owned 5 "R" code Mustangs & Fairlanes over the past 25+ years.
Currently building a 1959 Ford 2 door sedan with a 428 CJ and Toploader 4 speed.