Author Topic: 68 Fastback rear upper quarter panels  (Read 306 times)

Offline 1of1044

• Shadetree Mechanic
68 Fastback rear upper quarter panels
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:34:57 pm »
Good news is my panels cleaned up really nice....the grills...well, not so good. The dull faded “chrome” grills will be the elephant in the room. Couple of questions... what can be done and how would you reattach the grill to the panel if removed? Looks like they have to be removed by grinding down the attaching pin. So if you do that, how are they reattached?
Thanks
Gary

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: 68 Fastback rear upper quarter panels
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »
You can introduce repro grilles to original panels. They are often pitted and crusty on West Coast cars likely same everywhere.
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Offline yyoxxx

• Registry Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:53 am »
On the last 68 we used a set of repro grilles , kinda hated to put chromed plastic in a car where there had been metal
from the factory. Once installed they looked good but not quite as original .

With the 68.5 I'm restoring now after grinding flat we center punched the end of the mounting studs  then drilled them
using a 3/32 drill bit leaving the stud flat on top with a small hole .250 deep.

After filing off the mushroomed ends using a little effort the retaining washers pried off the stud  .  Then I had the grilles re-chromed and painted the black out.

To reinstall we found tiny screws & washers and used the original retaining washers as needed .This method is very similar to how the repro's are mounted.

A faster way might be done using quick set epoxy on the studs rather than screws .

Gerry

Offline 1of1044

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:24:07 pm »
Thanks Gerry!