Author Topic: Who created the first 428 Cobra Jet?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
Re: Who created the first 428 Cobra Jet?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 10:51:07 am »
My worthless two cents…
Whom ever gets the 'credit' for the creation of the 428CJ, I am just glad it WAS done. Ford needed a strong street fighter to compete with GM and Chrysler. Lets face it, the 427 was an excellent race engine, yet in detuned street form (The Cougar GT-E) really was not all that fast. The 428 in other hands was a torque monster. With the improved parts (now known as the CJ) as mentioned was a real threat to the brand X cars….and a drag race winner.
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline carb, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 11:01:23 am »
   Yes it was a Cougar.  Performance of the heavier Cougar ( 390 powered in '67) obviously never matched the lighter Mustang's numbers. L/M jumped at the opportunity to get more HP at strengthen their performance image.
   The 600 cfm carburetor made wheel spin a problem on the test Cougar and the distributor curve was changed SEVERAL times during testing to try and limit wheel spin. Ford used the small carburetor to limit the power to under 400 to keep insurance companies happy. Plus the feeling was that "hot rodders" would change the carburetor anyway.
    I have some "tracking and disposition" notes on "brass tag" vehicles that note "427 Mustang" ( probably and S code with engine change) and also a '69 ( with a Ford vin noted) "448 test car"  448 refers to the 427 block with a 428 crank. The late Bill Holbrook (rip) mentioned there were several of these "test" engines around that were put in various cars for testing. He claimed one of the 448s was in the car that outran the KR8 when it was in Detroit.  Bill said the Bopper was very up front as to how fast the KR8 was before it went to Detroit and Bill was instructed to "have" a car that would beat it when it got there and some that wouldn't. Bill's passion for what he and "his boys" did was incredible and his recall was as if it was yesterday . He is missed by all who ever spoke with him.
    Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 11:58:23 am »
Just noticed this thread. There is some misinformation here that keeps being repeated that needs to be pointed out. The driver side 427 Fairlane / Comet exhaust manifold will not fit in either Mustang or Cougar. It interferes with the steering box on the order of perhaps 1" in an area about 4" high. There is not any practical way to make it work, other than maybe installing a rack and pinion style steering which didn't exist in 1967. Anyone who tells you that someone installed 427 Fairlane manifolds in a Mustang or Cougar is making up the story, or repeating someone else's false memory. I tried everything I could think of to make it happen but was unsuccessful, and I am pretty clever. I considered cutting the manifold and welding in a scalloped piece of metal t clear the box, but after modeling it this would have made it so restrictive that it would have been worse than a 390GT manifold.

The passenger side 427 Fairlane / Comet manifold will fit just fine.
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:08 pm »
   Thanks Royce. Back in '70 , a friend of mine had a '68 S code fast back and wanted to put a 427LR into it BUT no headers. He went to the local Ford dealer and ordered up the Fairlane manifolds at something like $38 each. We both tried for a week to get the D/S side to work. We DID cut and ( have welded) that side  finally giving up and went to headers. He was so disgusted he threw both modified pieces right in the trash . Your findings mirror what we went through.
      Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler