Author Topic: On Site at the 50th Cobra Jet Reunion  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Re: On Site at the 50th Cobra Jet Reunion
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »
Continued. That's my kind of traffic jam!

Offline KR500

• Newcomer
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 05:59:46 pm »
Lets not forget the Shelby's.
The green KR in the last photo is mine.
Rodney

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
Literally looks like it came off the showroom floor for anyone who didn't see it in person. Rodney was that the GT500KR at the dinner?

Offline Vcode

• Fanatic!
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2018, 06:08:10 am »
Thanks for posting the pics.
'69 Mach 1 SCJ

Offline KR500

• Newcomer
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2018, 11:06:04 am »
Literally looks like it came off the showroom floor for anyone who didn't see it in person. Rodney was that the GT500KR at the dinner?
Dggilbert
No. My car was in the tent at the track all weekend. The KR at the dinner was George Conrad's, a very nice car indeed also.
Rodney

Offline Chris Teeling

• Fanatic!
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
Video with sound of the "135" car lineup is in my post here: https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=25565.15
1968 1/2 Fastback
1988 LX 5.0 Hatchback

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2018, 11:24:13 am »
Both very nicely done, that's quite a car nonetheless Rodney. Another interesting Tasca afiliation, the Bopper and Shelby were very close and around Tasca often enough my dad called Carroll a friend, in fact he wrote my dad a nice personal comment in a first edition copy of "The Cobra Story", to Billy, "" My thanks for making them run when everybody else forgets" dated 12-17-65. My dad tells the story about a time when Carroll was complaining about a oil leak while at the dealership and my dad changed a gasket on his Daytona Coupe. What a time to be a young ambitious mechanic at Tasca. My dad always talks about how he used to be excited about going to work, I can understand that. Anyway what a car. Have you ever run the car on the track? ET's, mph? Thanks, Dave.

Offline KR500

• Newcomer
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »
Dave
Thank You. The car is showing a little age in spots as It's restoration was completed in the spring of 1992, but overall still presentable. Your dad should be very proud to have been part of such significant automotive history. My dad opened his own auto repair shop in the early 60's. I grew up in the shop, hearing many stories as well. I even have a few of my own as I have worked on cars since a very early age and have never left. I have owned and operated the shop for the last 22 years. No I have not run the car on the track. I have done some spirited parade laps with it at Mid-Ohio & VIR. I had it up to about 90 MPH at VIR ( straights on parade laps  ), but it is a real pig in the corners. 50 year old Polyglas tires and a boat load of weight up front = A LOT of under steer! I wouldn't feel comfortable running it hard with 50 year old belts, hoses, ignition, tires, brake hoses ect.
Rodney

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2018, 11:22:05 am »
Rodney it sounds like you enjoy the hell out of it and that's what counts. I envy you, my father kept me as far away from working on cars as he could and ccouldn't  have been happier I got to go to college, I was a three sport athlete and got a football scholarship, but didn't realize until late in life some of the things my dad did in his early years at Tasca. My early memories were bouncing around with my brother when we'd tag along on local Beat the Boss clinics in the Tasca tractor trailer. I am  however planning on building a KR8 in my dads honor that I'll have to recognize his input to the CJ. Btw Carroll was around Tasca often enough for my dad to call him a friend. I'll attach a pic of what Carroll wrote to my dad in a first edition Shelby book way back in i65. Thanks, Dave.