Author Topic: 1969 R Code GT Coupe  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Abandoned_Classics

• Newcomer
1969 R Code GT Coupe
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:41 pm »
Would like to attempt to track down my great uncles 1969 GT 4 speed R code coupe that he had in the early 1970s. The car was original when he had it as a redish / maroon exterior paint with white interior. I was told the car was a 4 speed car and not a drag pak (as the photos i have also show). He sold it in the 1970s after a yellow repaint and an install of slotted mags while still in Colorado Springs before passing away. Any information or advice that anyone might have would be awesome. I appreciate the help, Shayne.

Offline sportyworty

• Fanatic!
Re: 1969 R Code GT Coupe
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:58:03 pm »
If the top photo is original it is an R code Shaker car with B5 paint (Maroon with Black out) I do not see any coupes with B5 in the paper registry but there are 3 with straight  Maroon. Colorado typically draws from San Jose R plant and there is one car registered but Black interior 4 speed and a 3.50 rear end.  There is a Q code car but that would be a flat hood car and there is a Dearborn plant car. Kind of hard to read that many vins perhaps Scott can shuffle the deck and see something on a computer. Plus how many cars have been added since 2010. If that car is around the specs would stand out immediately. Those guys were making marks in that engine compartment that we scratch our heads about today. Looked fun crazy guys on a mission 8)
8F91R577646  Black 4 Speed

Offline preaction

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:42 pm »
With the car up on cinder blocks, its interesting to see what we as kids thought was OK.
68.5 Mustang black 4sp 3:50    67 Cougar 6.5 Liter

Offline Dave R.

• Old Hand
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:31:03 pm »
What did that poor car do to deserve 3 guys piling on?   Dave R.
Currently:
1969 R code Mach 1 4 speed restoration. My occasional driver.
Formerly:
2000 GT 'vert 5 speed (her DD)
1998 plain jane 6 cyl. auto (her DD)
1974 fastback 4 cyl. auto ( her DD)
Seems to be a pattern here.

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:40:42 pm »
With the car up on cinder blocks, its interesting to see what we as kids thought was OK.

+1.  That shot makes me cringe even now...

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:21 pm »
     A kid a year or two older than me was sitting cross legged under his Chevy. The blocks all collapsed & broke his back. Paralysed him waist down.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 03:03:22 pm »

What did that poor car do to deserve 3 guys piling on?   Dave R.

Best guess ?  Trying to get those headers bolted up ?  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 06:26:04 pm »
I know where a Maroon one is stashed, but it is a black interior car, R code no black out.   That white interior had to be at the least an Interior decor car. Super rare.  Good luck with your search!
9F01R141359 Winter blue GT 4 speed!!!!
9K45Q103601 a very cool Cobra Auto       
http://www.dagostinirestorations.com/

Offline geo302b

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
At the very least turn the blocks with the webs up like when building a wall. I think they are trying to bend a header tub

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:24:10 am »
Ok so I talked with one of the guys in the photos of the header job. My great uncle was working at Phil Long Ford in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1971 when he got the 1969 GT R code from the lot where someone else traded it in. It was missing the shaker as it was stolen before being traded in. My great uncle ordered a replacement and that never had the CJ lettering on it. They thought it was a 390 car before they looked at the engine bay tag. He said it was crazy fast and looked like a sleeper. The car actually had no red in it at all, he said it was more of a bronze? I’m thinking it could possibly be Indian fire red poly with the blacked out hood and the yellow stripe. He said he remembered putting on those red headers which he said looked like spaghetti. They had to do it twice as the local speed shop gave them a set that was for an automatic the first time.

Anyways, I’m not sure you guys can check, but i believe with the new information we have, we’re looking for a 1969 R code GT coupe with white deluxe interior, 4 speed trans, Indian fire red poly exterior, blacked out hood, yellow stripe. Was probably a Colorado car so high chance of it being a San Jose car. Possibly sold new to Phil long ford.

-Shayne

Offline priceless

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 06:21:03 pm »
Ok so I talked with one of the guys in the photos of the header job. My great uncle was working at Phil Long Ford in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1971 when he got the 1969 GT R code from the lot where someone else traded it in. It was missing the shaker as it was stolen before being traded in. My great uncle ordered a replacement and that never had the CJ lettering on it. They thought it was a 390 car before they looked at the engine bay tag. He said it was crazy fast and looked like a sleeper. The car actually had no red in it at all, he said it was more of a bronze? I’m thinking it could possibly be Indian fire red poly with the blacked out hood and the yellow stripe. He said he remembered putting on those red headers which he said looked like spaghetti. They had to do it twice as the local speed shop gave them a set that was for an automatic the first time.

Anyways, I’m not sure you guys can check, but i believe with the new information we have, we’re looking for a 1969 R code GT coupe with white deluxe interior, 4 speed trans, Indian fire red poly exterior, blacked out hood, yellow stripe. Was probably a Colorado car so high chance of it being a San Jose car. Possibly sold new to Phil long ford.

-Shayne
Is it possible it’s still painted in yellow?

Cool story and retro photos ;)

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 10:42:09 pm »
Very well could be. But it was painted in ‘72ish?  I’m sure if it survived and any owners know what it was / is, I’m sure it’s been repainted. Having no vin is the issue, but I’m sure with only 84ish built and the exterior / interior combo, it’s a low double digit car and easy to spot if registered or known about. Maybe have to go through marti and have a good chance of finding the vin