Author Topic: Drive Your Mustang to Work Day (in my world)  (Read 212 times)

Offline DeadStang

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Drive Your Mustang to Work Day (in my world)
« on: September 21, 2018, 01:14:22 pm »
After languishing for 2 (freaking) YEARS in my storage shop (time really flies!), the Coupe is out and about again.  The rains will be here soon, but I'm going to try to get as much road time as I can... 

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Drive Your Mustang to Work Day (in my world)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »
I know what you mean about the 2 years thing.  ::)  Next time you get around to dragging it out your daughter will be driving it!!
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline Don-man

• Occasional Poster
  • Username: Donman
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:48 pm »
Wow! Very C 8) 8) L  car!

Offline DeadStang

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:56:54 pm »
I know what you mean about the 2 years thing.  ::)  Next time you get around to dragging it out your daughter will be driving it!!

:-[ :-[ :-[

I've taken her out this summer and let her drive the Black CJ Mach on the country flat farm roads around our house already (she's 14 now).  She started out in 3rd gear the first time but managed the clutch the next few times just fine.  We pretend that random road signs are stop signs and practice smooth(!) stops and clutch starts (NOT in 3rd!).  That Mustang is super loud with the headders and Flow Masters, so even going 15mph sounds like you're doing 80mph and she digs it a lot.  We may take the Coupe out this afternoon after school and she can drive it a bit.  None, literally NONE of the girls (millennials) at work can drive a manual transmission car, so I am making sure she can handle a clutch and, what the heck? -- you only live once, and clutches can be replaced, so I mellowed out and am teaching her to drive in my old cars.  8)

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »
     Way to go. We raised 3 kids, 1 boy & 2 girls. All 3 can drive a stick car. At different times in their lives they all had a stick car that they got a great deal on because not many of the young crowd would buy them. Btw, my girls were smug with some boys that they dated because they could do something that the boy couldn't do.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:01:17 pm »
You are a good Mom, I had one just like you, crazy about cars. Best thing I read all week Kim !
That car is so so sleepy... 8)
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:16:46 pm »
The last time I saw a picture of that car there was a car seat in the back.  Brian
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Offline geraldt52

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
...my girls were smug with some boys that they dated because they could do something that the boy couldn't do.

LOL.  My daughter had the same sort of experiences.  There were many times when she was "recruited" to drive something or other with a stick, because no one else present could drive one.

She resisted terribly when I made her learn to drive my old S10 5 speed, but when she finally bought a car she insisted it had to be a stick, and bought a 5 speed Camaro...which she drove for years in San Francisco, not the friendliest stick shift city in the world.  Funny thing is that her and her husband now own two automatics, because her husband can't drive a stick!

I keep thinking that the end of stick shifts might be near, given how low the sales numbers are...not to mention how much quicker the 8 and 10 speed paddle shift automatics are.  It would be a shame if they disappear, but as fewer and fewer kids learn to drive them it would seem to be almost inevitable.

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 07:50:40 pm »
     Another plus for my kids. Since they could drive the community stick car. They would talk their way out of having to chip in for gas. Their little mercenary hearts brought a small tear to my eye several times.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline 70b302cat

• Newcomer
  • Eliminator Registrar
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »
...my girls were smug with some boys that they dated because they could do something that the boy couldn't do.

LOL.  My daughter had the same sort of experiences.  There were many times when she was "recruited" to drive something or other with a stick, because no one else present could drive one.

She resisted terribly when I made her learn to drive my old S10 5 speed, but when she finally bought a car she insisted it had to be a stick, and bought a 5 speed Camaro...which she drove for years in San Francisco, not the friendliest stick shift city in the world.  Funny thing is that her and her husband now own two automatics, because her husband can't drive a stick!

I keep thinking that the end of stick shifts might be near, given how low the sales numbers are...not to mention how much quicker the 8 and 10 speed paddle shift automatics are.  It would be a shame if they disappear, but as fewer and fewer kids learn to drive them it would seem to be almost inevitable.

Same with HD trucks, a lot more automatics then there used to be.  If you take your CDL test with an automatic you are restricted and it is notated on your license.
I taught my nephew how to drive a manual when he got my Ford Focus.  He knew only one other kid in his class (~300 students) that could drive a stick.
Dave
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/
0F05R116137 A O U
0F91Q516134 J 6 V

Offline ac427

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 03:40:47 am »
Cool car. And super cool Dad  8)

Offline Steele75

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:56:18 am »
Nice 'Stang.