Author Topic: Prepping a Strange chunk  (Read 211 times)

Online redscj

• Fanatic!
Prepping a Strange chunk
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:28:30 pm »
     I've debated with myself over my need or desire for a reasonably date correct N case for my Sportsroof. I have a hard time envisioning that it'll get a great restoration. Likely will get aftermarket floor, quarters etc. So I guess that a day two look would be a good option. As in how would this car look if a weekend warrior had it in the day. I'm not going all technical on period correct speed equipment. Not that there isn't a place for that in the hobby.
     I just bought a nodular center made by Strange Engineering. It won't ever be confused for a Ford N case. It has the large pinion bearing bore if that means anything. What I'm looking for is some advice on prepping the inside right now because it's all nice & clean. If I was to paint the inside now it should be easier than doing it at a later date. Does anybody paint the inside? Even on the outside, preserve to the iron look or some version of colored paint? I'm just kind of gathering some ideas, be kind & throw out some suggestions. Anybody have any experience with Strange Engineering products?
     FWIW, I saw a Ford Motorsport case advertised online. The N doesn't look to be sized or the font of an original. I did see  an aftermarket nodular case with a pretty good looking N cast in it. I think with some "work" that case could fool quite a few lookers. Just saying.... Like $330 vs around $1,000.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Prepping a Strange chunk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 05:04:30 pm »
Original diff cases were red oxide on the inside, so wouldn't be a bad idea to paint it while it is fresh and clean.  I would still do some degreasing to make sure the paint sticks.  Oven cleaner works pretty well on iron but on a new piece, just a good scrubbing with tide and hot water should do.  You could use the old school Glyptol product instead of primer.  I have used it on the interior of an engine block.  Just brush it on.

As far as the outside, it was popular to paint the rear end a bright color to show it off since you had air shocks jacking the back of the car up so that it was really visible under there.  Personally, I would probably paint it with cast iron paint and keep it looking more stock.  You know, more GO, less SHOW.
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:15:15 pm »
This link for a 9" rear end housing is not for a vintage Mustang, however look at the pictures for what is the 'hot trend' for painting your housing. Something to consider….

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-ol-bi9.htm
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline mounted carb, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Offline gregwill16

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:13:07 pm »
A correct N case is very similar in price to the aftermarket stuff so why get the right stuff?

Online redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 10:54:53 pm »
A correct N case is very similar in price to the aftermarket stuff so why get the right stuff?
     I'm not sure that I'm reading your post correctly. A N case in my date range shows up on EBay fairly often. At around $1400. That does include a gear set & normally some version of a traction lok. The Strange case cost me under $200 & I was able to pick it up 30 miles from my house. A gear set & an aftermarket traction lok can't cost $1200. Also, I can buy a Ford N case at a later date if I choose to.
     Rockhouse66 & crossboss, I appreciate your comments.
Grant

Online RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:56:55 am »
If you bought an entire center section with a new Strange case it would cost around $1300.
If you bought an entire center section with a correctly dated N case it would cost about $1349 (all over eBay at that price).

If you buy a Strange case brand new on eBay they are $239 for the cheapie with starburst casting or $349 for the one that looks very similar to the original version.

If you buy an original date code correct N case bare they usually sell on this website for $400 - $500.

I am only seeing a difference of $150 - $200 when comparing apples to apples. Suit yourself, it's your car.

I'm not sure that I'm reading your post correctly. A N case in my date range shows up on EBay fairly often. At around $1400. That does include a gear set & normally some version of a traction lok. The Strange case cost me under $200 & I was able to pick it up 30 miles from my house. A gear set & an aftermarket traction lok can't cost $1200. Also, I can buy a Ford N case at a later date if I choose to.
     Rockhouse66 & crossboss, I appreciate your comments.
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline gregwill16

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 09:19:21 am »
It's not that difficult and you have to compare apples to apples or you can make any comparison lop sided. A correct looking aftermarket case (link below) at Summit for $329, and usually for around $300-350 for a correct Ford N case. Now of course if you get one for $200 off some clearance rack somewhere is a big savings but certainly not representative. Below that is a complete "correct looking" chunk for $1090. This is a good deal but assuming since you bought a bare case you can build your own, you can get very close or even beat it. Quick Performance is a good source that you can get what you need for a good price.

Trying to help you out, no need to get defensive.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-n1905/

https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Strange-Nodular-Iron-Pro-N-Case-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_20312.html

Online redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:36 am »
     There is a local company that sells close outs, distressed products, lost freight type stuff out of an old warehouse. Of course they sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. Their shipping can be quite high. They had a lot of stuff from Strange they cleared out recently. One of the bare cases sold for $139 as I recall. The highest sales price was $175. So I got a good deal on the case, I pick up to save the shipping. Similar savings on Stranges Daytona style retainer & on the bearing kits.
Grant

Offline gregwill16

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:38:11 am »
That is a good thing to have local, but my suggestion still is sell or use as trade bait, what you bought cheap for a nice little profit and put it towards what you need for an expensive "correct worthy" car. Plenty of us on here have spare correct parts if needed and are willing to help.

Offline sportyworty

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:39:08 am »
The required parts to complete a bare case remains the same regardless if N or Aftermarket. The price differential ::) is the empty case costs which as previously noted is minimal. The later modern N case your reference Grant is still produced often called Nascar cases with a sharp defined smaller letter N as opposed to our more lazy larger N. I agree with Jim that an aftermarket case would look good in just cast Grey ! maybe a little clear.. with a powder coated or high gloss housing in Black 8) The main thing is you are making progress and going to need the following regardless:
New USA made Trac Lok 
Ring/Pinion
Bearing/seal kit
I buy it all on Ebay free shipping comes to the drive.
8F91R577646 Black/Red 4 Speed

Online redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 11:11:27 am »
     Thanks Kerry, I suspect that you think similar to me. So true that the internals are the same. The Ford Strange guts sold for about half the price of the lowest buy it now seller. I'm not the guy that grabs a catalog, points at something & buys it. I like my money a little better than that. My completed case will be at a good price point.
     This local seller has saved me a ton of money on my other cars. I try to forecast my needs & start casually looking long before the repair is needed. Btw, this seller starts most of their listings at 99 cents. Saves on listing fees, haha they're frugal also.
     Even if I don't get my parts from them. Over a period of a month or so Ebay will have a seller that will sell something below market value. Someone is going to buy it, Mays well be me if it's a part that I need.
     As I have been thinking of the old days. I realized I had things a bit twisted. The back of the housing, pumpkin if you want to say. Most of the street scene here painted them pumpkin orange. The front side wasn't easily seen so it wasn't painted as often. I think that a clear or iron type paint is the direction I'll go. You have a durable paint recommendation?
Grant

Offline 161854

• Fanatic!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 10:47:31 am »
  Even with shrewd buying , it is hard to assemble a correct "period" N third member for less than $750. "Ford" 3.91 pr 4.30 gears run the cost up to about $1200. Unless your goal is "judged" car shows , I see no reason to go that route. For a long time you could buy Nascar  "take outs" for $650 with low miles , N case , Daytona retainer, Detroit locker and the ratio you wanted. Prices have crept up and some cases have "oiling" provisions , but they are still a bargain.
     Randy
68 1/2 CJ FB San Jose white/blue "C" stripe Foulger Ford
 66 GT350 Hertz SFM 6S 477 white/ blue side stripes 1  of 18
3 magazine covers- Car Craft July '77,  Modified Mustangs Feb '11 , and June '14 Mustang Monthly
'78 F350 Oleynik racecar hauler

Offline Brian Conway

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:48:13 pm »
    Not sure there is a ' best ' way to go about getting parts together for a 9" chunk, pumpkin, rear end, gear set or whatever you want to call it ?  In my case I set about collecting the parts for a date/part number correct restored rear end for my 69.  Started with an identical N case matching the OE one in my car.  Next the C5 Daytona pinion support was located.  It came from the Midwest ( getting OE parts in San Diego is difficult) and coincidentally that fella also had the yoke and a rebuilt 4 pin traction-loc.  Got all that stuff from him and shipping ran the costs right up there.  The correct gear set was a bad shopping experience and was an expensive lesson.  Fortunately, for me, Randy was able step in and prevent this ' restoration ' from becoming a financial disaster.  The end cost was pretty much in line with what I expected it would be.   Right at $1,500.00.
     For my 65, on the other hand, I had to get another case.  Purchased an OE C2 case and a new ' Billet ' 8" Traction-Loc from the same mid-west guy that helped me out with the stuff for my 69.  Re-used my OE 65 pinion support and yoke.   Had a local shop supply and install a FORD 3.00 gear.  All looks OE from the outside but all new and improved on the inside ?  So different strokes...right ?  I think if your looking for the correct look and more or less the same performance the right case, pinion support and yoke would be the way to go ?  Traction-Loc and gears dealers choice ?  Brian

« Last Edit: Today at 02:48:45 pm by Brian Conway »
65 5R09A 4 spd  GT  Built 5/29/65 
69 9T02R 4 spd  SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic