Author Topic: Installing Engine ??  (Read 207 times)

Offline 428 Jet Set

• Occasional Poster
Installing Engine ??
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:07 am »
Can the engine be installed with Hooker Super Comps and 4-speed  already bolted on?Only thing that's in engine bay is steering shaft and steering box

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
Re: Installing Engine ??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »
I really doubt it ,headers always sound like a good idea until you have to work on them .
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:33:39 pm by 428 CJ hardtops »
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline corbins

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »
No drag link, tie rods , etc ?  You could probably set the headers down in the engine bay, start the motor/tranny combo down into position and when they're w/in a few inches of where you need them, set the headers to the heads and drop her the rest of the way down.
Might work...
Steve Corbin

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 11:16:18 pm »
No drag link, tie rods , etc ?  You could probably set the headers down in the engine bay, start the motor/tranny combo down into position and when they're w/in a few inches of where you need them, set the headers to the heads and drop her the rest of the way down.
Might work...

That's worth a try
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline 428 Jet Set

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:54:26 am »
Might work...
Those are still on the car, was wishing it would'nt be a PITA to install.I have stock manifolds and a H pipe but was told Headers would make a seat- n -the pants feel if installed and now I have that option since the motor is out.

Offline RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:06:45 am »
I don't think there is enough difference to make the problems and difficulty of installing headers worth it. I've had several 427 / 428CJ cars with and without headers. I strongly recommend that you not do that based on my experiences.

Here's a related thread:

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=19688.0

Might work...
Those are still on the car, was wishing it would'nt be a PITA to install.I have stock manifolds and a H pipe but was told Headers would make a seat- n -the pants feel if installed and now I have that option since the motor is out.
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline corbins

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 05:03:25 pm »
Would be inclined to agree w/Royce. Unless, you are prepared to make a cam change, maybe add 3" exhaust with x-pipe, eliminate a transverse muffler, change timing and carb changes , the headers alone will probably not make a real noticeable difference. But they really look cool and sound nice :)
Steve Corbin

Offline Aussiebloke

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 03:37:50 am »
Following as I have to do this soon. Short answer is yes it will, but not easy. The booster gets in the way. I did it this way but had to pull it in and out a few times to work on clearance issues. I was on a time schedule so put it back with manifolds. Next winter it will be coming out again to put them on. Thinking I will drop the gearbox off and drop it straight down and in. Gearbox is easy to put in after
1969 Candy apple Red R code

Offline FN

• Old Hand
  • Username: frednolan
  • Life was'nt meant to be easy !
Headers
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:38 am »
When restoring my car, headers were always the plan.
In the end I couldn't wait to get them off irrespective or the purpose of them going on in the first place !
FN
There is no substitute for Horse Power !

1969 Gulfsteam Aqua 428 CJ Mach 1 Sportsroof
2015 Winter White XR6 Falcon FG X Turbo