Author Topic: chrome powder coating  (Read 329 times)

Offline b--r30

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
chrome powder coating
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:41 am »
Have this old golf cart I'm restoring that has a fair amount of chrome pieces that should be replated.We had a plater in town I was planning to use in but they closed recently.The project is turning out pretty nice and this stuff needs to look good but finished,the cart won't be worth a whole lot. Anyway...thinking of going chrome powder coating.Anybody seen it? Look OK? The chrome was never "show quality" when new but I don't want to be embarrassed either.
Thanks!

Offline 67428GT500

• Occasional Poster
Re: chrome powder coating
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:21:13 am »
Yes, and it doesn't look like chrome. It's silver and sort of shiny, but nothing like Chrome.

-Keith
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
"If It's Not Boeing, I'm Not Going!"

Offline jmlay

• Old Hand
    • http://home.roadrunner.com/~jamesmlay/
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:27:59 pm »
Not sure if this is applied in your area but there is a technology developed in in the last few years where chrome like finish may be sprayed on. No this is not rattlecan chrome.:

Offline 67428GT500

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 11:56:07 pm »
Yes, but not a powder coat and it's not particularly durable. It worn't work long term outside and not in any heat situation like an engine compartment.

-Keith
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Offline b--r30

• Old Hand
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:08 am »
Yes, and it doesn't look like chrome. It's silver and sort of shiny, but nothing like Chrome.

-Keith

I was afraid of that. In your mind,is it acceptable? The cart,IMO,is going to be a knockout when finished and I hate to cheap out on the chrome but having trouble justifying throwing a grand or more on plating when the thing is never going to be worth much. My rep at the campground,however,is at stake here :) What to do...

Offline 67428GT500

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:53 am »
In all honesty, it looks okay on something like headers but I wouldn't use it where chrome was, or where you are expecting something to look like actual plating.
I was trying to find a picture for you to reference.
                                                                                        -Keith

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:57:02 pm »
     All you have to have is the best ride in the campground. Even if it is less than stellar. How great is your nearest competitor?  ;)
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline b--r30

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:36 am »
     All you have to have is the best ride in the campground. Even if it is less than stellar. How great is your nearest competitor?  ;)

No competition in my class but these guys have seen other stuff i did and can't wait to pull out the critiqueing (is that a word?} glasses and point out any flaws.

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:32 pm »
No competition in my class but these guys have seen other stuff i did and can't wait to pull out the critiqueing (is that a word?} glasses and point out any flaws.
     So you're a victim of your own success. ;D Hold your head up high. They that can't do something are quick to slam those that can. That usually means that you hit a home run.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue