Author Topic: Manufacturer Extended Warranty  (Read 603 times)

Offline SteveMcqueen

• Shadetree Mechanic
  • Username: mustangmad
Manufacturer Extended Warranty
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:33:04 am »
I just purchased a 2019 Bullitt. The finance manager started pitching the extended warranty. I’ve purchased many new cars and have never purchased an extended warranty. He offered me a 8 yr 120 000 km warranty for 2500$ cdn. I will be driving the car only due the spring to fall and parking it in the winter. Any thoughts on this. Thanks
Joe
68.5 CJ 4sp WW
69 CJ Mach 1 R-code
1970 Boss 302 Grabber Blue
1971 Boss 351 Bright Yellow (sold)
2019 Bullitt K5074

Offline sah62

• Administrator
  • Fanatic!
    • Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Re: Manufacturer Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:59 pm »
Pretty much all of the dealer's post-sale "upsells" (extended warranties, paint sealant, fabric protection, etc) can be found for a lower cost on the open market. Shop around using your favorite search engine to see what you can find.

You have to balance the cost of that warranty against the risk of having to pay more than the purchase amount for any needed repairs. You have a bumper-to-bumper warranty from Ford for what, 3 years and 36,000 miles? The extended warranty isn't needed until after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Will you have a repair that costs more than $2,500 in years 3-8 or before you exceed 120,000km? It's possible, but unlikely in my opinion.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 R-Code Mach 1
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline DeadStang

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:15:50 pm »
Skip it. 

But -- remember that if there are no pictures...it's not real?  Where's this supposed new car you bought?  ;)  I don't see it.

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:41:33 pm »
     I generally answer the extended warranty pitch with a question. What kind of garbage pos are you trying to sell me that it needs an extended warranty? That is the question that I want answered first. Then we'll talk warranty & revisit the price topic again. The car sounds over priced to me buddy.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline b--r30

• Past Registry Supporter
  • Old Hand
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:54:35 am »
Skip it. 

But -- remember that if there are no pictures...it's not real?  Where's this supposed new car you bought?  ;)  I don't see it.
Laugh....That's right!!   No pics,didn't happen.

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:30 am »
'Extended' warranties are not needed. As mentioned, its a sales gimmick and a huge profit for the dealer/salesman. Btw, a used Mustang is the better bargain, and most carry a factory 'extended' warranty from the get go. Don't buy new, a waste of money in my opinion. That said, here in the US, ANY emissions related defects are covered by a federal mandate of 7-8 years or 100K mikes. So, IF any issue arises from lets say a bad convertor, all related components that caused it to fail are covered….that can be costly…and no charge to you.
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline carb, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Online specialCJ

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »
Not sure if they can sell you a warranty in Canada but Flood Ford is one of a few online dealers who sell warranties at a discounted rate. You can purchase extended warranty at any time from any dealer while under the factory warranty.

Enjoy the new car....
69 Mach 1 428 CJ-R

Offline sportyworty

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
You can shop the Ford premium warranty online as Scott shared. If you add the extra warranty before the initial one expires it is the same price as adding at time of purchase. I did this for my wife's 2011 Mustang at 35K and my 2010 F150 at 35K. They were 2K and 3K each. The Mustang got a transmission at 90K and the F150 had new blend doors requiring the entire dash to be removed at 50K. So far we are both at 110K and breaking even at least. I will never drive a newer vehicle not under warranty ever again. Its cheap insurance in my head. Driving all over the country pulling trailers has given me a sense of comfort that any dealer will get me up and running. We have never kept vehicles this long but was part of our plan to conserve before starting new again with the big relocation, new vehicles, a shop and maybe more old cars too ! ;D  Very glad we purchased the extended warranties. It really depends on your situation but my personal point is you have time and not necessary at point of purchase. ! All this advise and encouragement has to have earned a pic of the new ride Joe !
8F91R577646  Black 4 Speed

Offline redscj

• Fanatic!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 03:41:54 pm »
     Kerry, please be careful on thinking that Ford dealers are your friends. I got stuck in Helena Montana maybe 10 or so years ago. My E350 chassis based motor home had a plugged catalytic converter. A common problem with some 460's. The local dealer was willing to sell me a new one but flat refused to install it at any price or time. Good sized place. I've seen similar work done in an aisle. 
     An independent truck shop was willing to do it late in the day. Loaned me a car so I could drive to Great Falls to buy a converter from a Checker store. The job crossed over to the following day. So the wife & I spent the night in our motor home in the service bay.
     Overall a nice trip except for a dealership that IMHO can pound sand until they speak chinese. Not bitter, just wiser. Still a Ford family.
Grant
69 Mach 1 Dearborn SCJ 4.30 4spd 6/17/69 Candy Apple Red
69 Sportsroof Metuchen SCJ 4.30 C6 5/28/69 Acapulco Blue

Offline LightWtJet

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 01:27:45 pm »
I spent 7 years in the powertrain warranty area at Ford. The problems we saw were all over the map for frequency and cost. I got a Ford  extended warranty over the internet (2011 Taurus) for 120,000 miles and had no problems at all. ( I just met a Taurus owner with 425,000 trouble free miles)
I used the Flood Ford website for your info (used US prices for a GT500Mustang) for 8yr 125K
1000 component plan with $100 deductible   $1880
113 component planfor powertrain with $100 deductible   $1330

Just be sure it is THE FORD warranty. My local dealer matched the internet price when I showed it to him.
68 White Fastback- Body work done