Author Topic: Canadian Car Ported Vacuum switch ?  (Read 243 times)

Offline Gr8t8

• Newcomer
Canadian Car Ported Vacuum switch ?
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:05:31 pm »
Hello Experts,
I have owned my Dearborn R-code since '82'ish. I believe it to be complete with its original parts save a couple peripherals some misguided youth removed that I have had to replace.   
My thermostat housing has had a plug where the ported vacuum switch should be since I purchased it. The housing has the correct stamps as listed under component ID and I believe it is original to the car.
I don't believe Canadian cars had emissions control from the factory. My heads where plugged which I understand is correct. My car had a single point single vacuum distributor when I bought it. Based on the component ID section many years later I felt it was not original to the car even though it seemed date correct for the actual assembly date. I have since purchased C8OF-H/H6 distributor for the car but I have no rationale as to why my thermo housing had been plugged previously other than someone changed the Distributor. Looking into the functionality of the ported vacuum switch it appears to essentially be a rudimentary form of emissions control.
Is it possible that Dearborn built 1969 R-codes assembled for export to Pacific Canada were ported vacuum switch delete and ran different single vacuum distributors from the factory?
Any opinion or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

1969 R-code Mach 1 4 speed
1969 H Code Convertible.
2011 GT/CS Convertible.

Offline 70cj428

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Canadian Car Ported Vacuum switch ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:29:21 pm »
I'm almost certain that all CJ's (Canadian included) had the ported vacuum switch.  It's not emission equipment at all. It's function is to increase idle speed (and thus water pump and Fan speed) to prevent overheating.

When the engine temp gets above 220 F or so , the switch switches the vacuum advance vacuum source from ported to straight manifold vacuum. This increase the timing at idle, increasing the engine speed to help cool the engine....

Hope this helps, John

the switch switches the vacuum advance vacuum source from ported to straight manifold vacuum.

That's a hell of a sentence ........   :o
70 "R" code Mach1, Wimbleton White / Vermillion, Auto, AC,
70 "Q" code Mach1, Grabber Green / White, Auto,AC
70 "M" code Mach1, Med. Gold / Ginger, Auto, AC
68 "S" code GT Fastback, Wimbleton White / Black deluxe int.,4 speed, AC, (getting a 427SO..)

Offline 428 CJ hardtops

• Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:49 pm »
They all had emissions .
had many 428 CJ and SCJ cars over the last 30 years.I currently own a 68 1/2 coupe and a 69 R code SCJ Coupe and a 70 R code SCJ Cougar Eliminator .I am looking for a 70 428 coupe if anybody knows of one for sale.

Offline SCJSTU

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »
This photo came from the Concours Mustang website via Jeff Speegle
If I recall right Ed Meyer was involved in bringing this car from Canada back to the US......another forum member here owned the car and it was supposed to be an unrestored original 1970 Mach 1 428CJ

Maybe Ed will chime in, you can clearly see the ported vacuum switch and smog intact

And yes the chrome valve covers appear to be from the factory on this car

Build date Feb 24,1970
1970 Mustang convertible 351C
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1961 Ford Econoline Pickup-Bagged
1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD
2004 Mustang Mach 1
2006 Mustang GT Supercharged
1973 Plymouth Cuda 340

Offline ed meyer

• Fanatic!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:45:19 pm »
yes that 70 came from northern canada original owner factory ordered engine block heater . Dont understand the chrome valve covers but have heard of 3 other late 70 cjs with chrome covers.  Everything on that car is original.

Offline mistabreez

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:46:06 pm »
The thermostat housing itself looks to be a later version quite possibly from a truck. The cast date is in the circle below C8AE (if legible). Appears to be 1972 or 3 blowing up the picture?

C.J. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:53:25 pm by mistabreez »

Offline Gr8t8

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 11:41:24 pm »
Here are some better pictures with it cleaned up as best I can at this time. I am predisposed to what I think it says, I think it reads 8 with 10 or 11 cast dots. I assumed this was Oct or Nov '68. Now I wonder about that. The top of the 8 is missing one side but the bottom circle is to complete to be a 3 in my view but I have only inspected this unit. Maybe someone whom has seen many would say different ?  What do you think ? Much appreciated.
1969 R-code Mach 1 4 speed
1969 H Code Convertible.
2011 GT/CS Convertible.

Offline ed meyer

• Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:55 am »
Never seen the BIG lettered C8AE version on a original cj car. I am thinking a late service replacement part as it shows no pitting where the rad hose clamps on like all the 50 year old originals i got in my inventory.  I have replaced many cast iron replacements on many cj cars over the years because they get cracked when 2 bolts are tightened and thermostat slips down out of place causing housing to crack & you got a leak so they get replaced. This is a very common problem on FEs because of the position the thermostat is in where as most other engines they lay flat when installed & dont slide downward out of place when installed.

Offline mistabreez

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:51:59 pm »
+1, big letter font is later truck production or service part and most likely not original to this car IMHO.

C.J.