Author Topic: Rotation number/ CJ marking 68  (Read 370 times)

Offline preaction

• Registry Supporter
  • Shadetree Mechanic
Rotation number/ CJ marking 68
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:38 am »
I found these markings on my July built 68.5 car and although some of the rotation number is visible just before that are what looks like two letters that appear to have applied with a brush has any one seen this before ? The black pipe is pulling fixture.
68.5 Mustang black 4sp 3:50    67 Cougar 6.5 Liter

Offline DragPack69

• Shadetree Mechanic
Re: Rotation number/ CJ marking 68
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:56:28 pm »
my July CJ has a number in the same place

John
68 1/2 auto cj
69 4 speed scj

Online Greg Dobe

• Registry Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 04:35:10 am »
Now that is interesting. Are the marks similar?

Greg
0F05R SCJ
9T02R SCJ

Offline preaction

• Registry Supporter
  • Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:15 am »
I believe all cars from Dearborn  have whats called a rotation number marked with a Markal paintstik on the front of the car I was curious about the letters.
68.5 Mustang black 4sp 3:50    67 Cougar 6.5 Liter

Offline DragPack69

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:41:35 am »
Mine is also a dearborn car, no letters though but can't confirm as I am out of town til sunday
Built 7/15

John
68 1/2 auto cj
69 4 speed scj

Offline Coralsnake

• Old Hand
    • http://www.thecoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:06:16 pm »
Not just Dearborn, but a common practice ...68 NJ cars commonly had them behind left headlight

Offline Chris Teeling

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »
My car had a 3 digit number located in the same place as on Preaction's car but no letters.

Based on a few discussions on the Concours Mustang Site, I believe that the number is not the same as the rotation number shown on the build sheet. A different sequence number was assigned to vehicles to track them as they went through the unit body welding process.

Similar to Coralsnake's findings, I have pictures of several 1968 1/2's that have "CJ" marked in various places on the body weldment.
1968 1/2 Fastback
1988 LX 5.0 Hatchback

Online Greg Dobe

• Registry Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 10:49:55 pm »
Hi All,

Realise the original post was actually referring to the lettering that appears to be CJ. Which my 69 doesn’t have that I can see. However I am interested in the 3 digit number that everyone is referring to as the rotation number. Mine states 144 which is the same number as what is on the build sheet in the top left hand corner saying rotation number. I would and have assume this is the rotation number. Am I missing something? Am confused which is easy done. Lol

Greg.
0F05R SCJ
9T02R SCJ

Offline RoyceP

• Fanatic!
    • http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:34 am »
Yours looks typical to me. The rotation number on your front crossmember matches your build sheet.

Hi All,

Realise the original post was actually referring to the lettering that appears to be CJ. Which my 69 doesn’t have that I can see. However I am interested in the 3 digit number that everyone is referring to as the rotation number. Mine states 144 which is the same number as what is on the build sheet in the top left hand corner saying rotation number. I would and have assume this is the rotation number. Am I missing something? Am confused which is easy done. Lol

Greg.
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black
1914 Model T Ford Touring
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Green
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT-E Green 427 W Code
1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428CJ R code 3.91 C6

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • Username: Jeff_Speegle
    • http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/page2.html
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 06:38:55 pm »
There were typically two rotation numbers assigned to each car one for each major part of the build.
This was done to organize them in a number system (since the VINs would not work for the purpose since they were not organized or built in that order)

The first was assigned to the body and trim part of assembly and on cars with buck tags was listed on that item and marked on the bare body. Typically the hand written ones were covered over during the paint process and typically were 001-999

for the second part of the build the cars were put in a new order based on difficultly (more or less options/ bigger or smaller engine) so that the line did not get bogged down with too many big engine loaded cars that would slow the line up according to the plant managers I've talked to.

The second number matched the number ( as has been shown a number of times above in other posts) and (depending on year and plant) again ran from 001-999 except for only one plant that I'm aware of for a period of time when the sequence was expanded for some unknown reason.

Where the number was applied and how many were applied depended on plant and year. Typically Dearborn and NJ used them the least and San Jose the most based on different in plant needs and practices. and this in turn IMHO affected the number of copies we find or buildsheets. In some cases three dozen or more were printed out and used for each cars build at different stations, sub assembly locations and different purposes. Since these were applied after the paint coat they are more often still visible but will disappear quickly if you start cleaning or wiping the area.

So pay attention as you disassemble the original car - you might be surprised where you might find your number.

Hope this helps

Offline DragPack69

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
My number is 216 on the front DS.
Don't have a build sheet to compare it to

John
68 1/2 auto cj
69 4 speed scj

Offline warwick

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 06:20:49 pm »
This doesn't verify what has been said.

Dearborn 5/3/68 build. Buck tag(weld line) rotation number 189.

Offline J_Speegle

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
  • Username: Jeff_Speegle
    • http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/page2.html
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 08:34:48 pm »
As mentioned earlier you may find second rotation number almost anywhere - well within limits  ::)

Here is one example from the back side of a door panel that identified it and the other to the workers as they arrived at the line from a sub area/feeder location.

And a shot of the only part of this build sheet that made it all these years - just the rotation number

You may just find a copy of the buildsheet attached to the back side of a door panel. Seems that often a worker would write the number at the bottom of sheet when they did that to make it easier to make out the number as the example below shows

In some examples we have found (on cars with three digit numbers) only the last two digits written on an item. Sometimes the item is small and guess there wasn't enough room and all they needed was the last two to assure the part got on the intended car.

Wish we had more buildsheets for cars we have markings for

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:47:49 pm by J_Speegle »