Author Topic: Origin of the KR moniker? Another Shelby fairytale?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
Origin of the KR moniker? Another Shelby fairytale?
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:29:51 am »
I went back and forth with members on the Shelby site last year about the "King of the Road" moniker and met with little success convincing them it was of Tasca oorigin. Yesterday I did a search on the trademark site only to find that the earliest claim to the "King of the Road" was Roger Miller in 1969, there's no Shelby in sight. There's plenty of Tasca use of the phrase and is credited in many publications as the originator of the moniker even on the Ford site. I'll attach a pic of a Tasca high performance tune receipt where it shows you could buy a "King of the Road" sticker with your hi performance tune. Folklore claims Carroll was a Roger Miller fan and  frantically trying to beat Chevy to Trademark the "King of the Road" but that seems to be another Shelby whopper. Tasca was still using the "King of the Road" after the release of the GT500KR which would be a Trademark infringement. The 2nd pic I downloaded is Ben Coles CJ "Street Bertha" wearing a Tasca "King of the Road" sticker. The 3rd pic is Ben's car at the 50th reunion with the same sticker. The KR at the end of GT500KR was a tip of the cap to Bob Sr just like the C/SA car Hubert Platt drove at Pomona as thanks for helping with getting the CJ done. I don't know if Shelby had any power to name anything at that point Ford had basically taken over.

Offline Jiffy

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Origin of the KR moniker? Another Shelby fairytale?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:20:47 am »
Interesting reading. I remember KR-8 but never really thought wit in context of the GT 500KR...

Offline crossboss

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:31:47 am »
My recollection was Chevy had intentions to use the name in advertising on the big block Camaro. Allegedly, Shelby got wind of this and named his 1968 mid production 428 CJ Mustangs aka GT-500KRs first. At least that IS the folklore. Remember, just because someone uses the name, has a sticker on a car bearing that term, does NOT mean it was trademarked. A trademark(™), or copyright(C) MUST be registered to be yours.
<My old C.J. heap  aka  S-B Racing!
Current lifelong project: 1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, Powered by a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, Autolite 1425 cfm 'B' Inline carb, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, ala Trans-Am style--Whew!

Offline Dggilbert

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »
I understand, that's why I checked to see who trademarked it and the first to do it was Roger Miller in 1969. I see no mention of Shelby American or Ford for that matter. I'm not sure that Carroll was in a position to name the model at that point. Furthermore Bill Barr here on the registry insinuates Tasca influence on the 428PI going in the GT500 instead of the 390 so its not a stretch to see Ford using the Bopper's "King of the Road 428" or KR8 once the Shelby was equipped with the 428CJ. Also my father put the 428PI with the 427 heads in the KR8 in late 66, Tasca had been using the KR moniker for over a year before the GT500KR and may well have been named by Ford at that point. It certainly made for some lively conversation at the CJ reunion when I mentioned it to my father , Bob Jr, Carl, and Dean Gregson, I actually had to tell them I was serious and not kidding and then got the "well Carroll could sell snow to an Eskimo".They believe the KR is 100% of Tasca origin. You'll also see the KR sticker seen on the CJ on Bob Jr 68 Torino my father put a 427 with a 428 crank tunnelport heads and dual quads in that was just recently written about in Hot Rod and Jerry Heasley. They certainly used it like they owned it.