Author Topic: Saw a very unusual CJ yesterday ...  (Read 356 times)

Offline Bic69scj

• Old Hand
  • Username: bic98gt
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518573
Saw a very unusual CJ yesterday ...
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:10:25 am »
So I was finally able to deliver my car to Rick Parker's restoration shop (Signature Auto Classics aka Bosscars.com ) for repairs after it was flash flooded back in June. While I was there I spotted an unusual CJ in addition to the six or seven Boss 429s, Boss 302s, Shelbys, CJ convertibles and Mach 1s, this particular car grabbed my attention. A beautiful restoration.

Dave Bickler

Original owner of a 69 SCJ Mach 1

Offline rockhouse66

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
Re: Saw a very unusual CJ yesterday ...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:31:06 pm »
Dave
Thanks for posting.  A really odd combo of options on that one.  GT with bench seat!  As far as the test vehicle thing goes, I think Armond's coupe was also a test vehicle...??
Jim

'69 Grande CJ

Offline Jiffy

• Registry Supporter
  • Fanatic!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 03:27:18 pm »
I wonder what they were testing that late in the product year?

Offline 427mach1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:30:42 pm »
I would question the claim that it is a test vehicle.  I've done a lot of testing with Ford over the last 30+ years and the liability of a test vehicle, prototype, etc. ever making it on the street is extremely risky.  Every single test vehicle I have seen eventually has an appointment with the crusher.  Unless they have some type of official documentation, I highly suspect it is just a good story.

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:36:58 pm »
Yes I own one, Brass tag and invoices.  It was a torque test car and Roger AKA lightWtJet knew the engineer who ordered it, Chet Jones.
9F01R141359 Winter blue GT 4 speed!!!!
9K45Q103601 a very cool Cobra Auto       
http://www.dagostinirestorations.com/

Offline 427mach1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »
Armond, I would be very interested to see any documentation you have on your car showing that it was used for factory testing...

Offline ed meyer

• Fanatic!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:33:54 pm »
Brass tag earmarked test lease new car showing etc cars had  example ( 300 L  62  fred jones ) on bottom of invoice and those code numbers were stamped on the brass tag that was attached to car or keychain .

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:48:52 pm »
Here ya go,  Also as a note, every nut on the car had yellow paint applied, this is what I was told was a torque test car.

Offline 427mach1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 08:06:12 pm »
Very cool, thanks for sharing, Armond.  I've never heard of one making it to the public, learn something new every day.  BTW, they still use a numbering system similar to your brass tag - three digits, a letter, three more digits...

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 08:16:24 pm »
Your welcome!   I am wondering if the green car shown still has it's tag.   I found this one after I pulled out the driver's seat, it was down between the tunnel and seat track.  I didn't know what it was and fortunately I threw it into my junk drawer of my tool box where it sat for probably 20 years until I saw the 70 convertible Ed had and I put it together.  I did know it was a test car by the paper work but had no idea or knowledge about the tag significance.  I did then clean and polish it and Ed told me that was a mistake.  As far as where is was mounted, I really don't know, there was a hole drilled in the door post below the light switch I welded up, so it could have been there or maybe on the Core support like Ed's car. I really don't know and will decide once I finish it.   Neat stuff and I am glad I bought it in 1990.

Offline 427mach1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 08:24:58 pm »
I, too, would like to know what documentation exists on the green car.  You are certainly lucky to have all the pieces.  The tags they use now are stickers affixed to the windshield with the number hand written in with a permanent marker, no where near as cool as a brass tag!

Offline 427mach1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:43:36 pm »
Armond, regarding the yellow paint on the nuts...  Was the entire nut painted or just a stripe?  We've used stuff called torque stripe (ake crosscheck, glyptal, and others)  that is a thick putty-like line across the joint between a nut and the clamping surface that becomes very brittle when dry.  If the nut rotates, the torque stripe is broken as an obvious visual indicator.   See examples here:   https://crosschecknow.com/

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:07:20 pm »
It was clearly yellow paint.  I have a few items I kept that I did not restore as I wanted to show what was done.  I will dig them out and take a few shots of them.

Offline Armond

• Fanatic!
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »
Here are a few pics.  One of the spring covers and one frame motor mount.  I looked for the lower oil cooler bracket that showed some yellow but could not find it.   I have posted pics of these before but it has been many years.

Offline LightWtJet

• Shadetree Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 10:42:41 pm »
In addition to Armond's car there is Bob W. 1970 car that he got from Tony Rainero. It was a brake test car that Ford gave to Tony for throwing the Indy Race. (Read the whole story on 135038).  It is now beautifully restored.
Car 135032 was delivered to StockVehicles along with 9 others. For some reason it was transferred to the Performance and Fuel Economy group where it did oil cooling and drag start tests. They welded anti wrap up link to the axle, converted it to staggered shocks and automatic transmission, and lightened the hood inner. Bob Holbrook from Stock Vehicles told me in 2017- that car should have been scrapped. Luckily the P & E group decided it was safe to sell and I had tagged it so I got the call to buy it. I had no idea this series of Mustangs was all that special. 
===========
It was common to place a dab of yellow paint on fasteners to verify they had been torqued to the minimum - usually done before durability testing.   
68 White Fastback- Body work done